• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HAYNES family.

Hi exbrummie
Further to your request in searching for the haynes family a member called rupert contacted you
and brought to your attention of a mr ted haynes whom you think may be related
and this was Alum rock road and the corner of wright road
well our mr Ted haynes was notonly a butcher but also a fruit and veg and fish seller there at the corner of wright road and
He also had the butchers shop on Highfield road Alum rock which was just up from is fruit and veg and fish store
i have just gavered this quote from a Hazel hobday and its taken from a carl chinns magerzine dated
march the 30th 1998 so may be after all rupert could have pointed you in the right direction
she used to live in Alum rock way back then in that period
you mentionioned a butchers trade did,nt you may be he was the main man for the other butchers name haynes after all
and another member of the trio keep us posted , and i will persue further if i can ,,
best of luck Astonian,,,,,
Still researching-not sure Ted Haynes the Butcher is related (although I bet they all are somewhere!!). Charles Haynes was a Midland Railway porter-apparently they were all dirt poor, my granny not even having a pair of shoes to go to school in! I believe they lived in Tilton Road at one point-there was a Tilton Road school so I'm presuming the children attended there. Apparently there are log books but possibly no photos so if you know of anyone with photos from Tilton road school 1901-1923 I'd love to see them.

20/3/17 I've now found out who Elizabeth Haynes married in 1923 -Albert Phillips Day-which is good as I've some Days that I need to tie into the tree!

Are we talking about the Elizabeth who 'married' Charles Haynes? Because the Elizabeth Haynes who married Albert Day was born in 1900 and was herself a Haynes.

Darn!! Didn't realise that! I was excited that it was a Day she married because I was looking for that connection too!! Yes I'm wondering if my Elizabeth Haynes was 'married ' to Charles ha, ha!!! It's really the birth mother of my grandmother Dorothy Haynes that I'm looking for. She apparently died in childbirth -Charles being the natural father. Elsie and Dorothy were half-sisters and were the spit image of each other in photos so there is a blood connection I believe.

What do you know for certain? Have you seen Dorothy's and Elsie's marriage certificates?

I've got Dorothy's marriage certificate which says she was 21 on 17th June 1919 but we believe that both of them told porkies-I think you had to be 21 to get married without your parents consent in those days? Apparently no-one checked ages! She'd signed up to the W.R.A.F at 16 I think and both Redvers and Dorothy were at Greenhill Camp Sheffield when they married. Father is stated as Charles Haynes, Railway messenger and listed as deceased. Dorothy's handwritten board of education certificate 23/6/15 says Elizabeth Haynes believes Dorothy's DOB is 16/6/01 . ( I think Charles Haynes signed it as his Haynes signature is the same as on the census).

The only verbal info (from my aunty) on Elsie is that she married a man called Sam and had Clive and Christine. Clive died quite young as a teenager I think. No surname at the moment.

Elsie married Samuel Allen, registered Mar qtr 1935 Birmingham.

Clive S Allen b 13th Nov 1938 - d Jul 1984

Christine M Allen b1946

Elsie died 1953 Birmingham

Going back to the 1911 census if Charles, Elizabeth, 'Dothy', Elsie and 'Emalia' are your Haynes family there seem to be a number of 'errors' on it.

Apart from the age and birthplace for Charles I would say everything else is suspect.

The year of Charles & Elizabeth's marriage.
Elizabeth's age and birthplace.
The birthplaces for the children - Amelia almost certainly as she was registered in Aston & Ladypool would be Birmingham.

How many children born & alive do the say they have on the census?

As I mentioned early there are a couple of baptisms on Ancestry that might be connected - one is for a Joseph Frederick Haynes 1908 at St Andrew, Bordesley (not far from Tilton Road). If the occupation and address match then that would identify Elizabeth. Have you got an Ancestry subscription, if not someone might be able to have a look.

Thank you very much! How you are finding these facts so quickly- I've been plodding through the docs on ancestry and still take ages to find anything unless it's hinted! :)
Going back to the 1911 census if Charles, Elizabeth, 'Dothy', Elsie and 'Emalia' are your Haynes family there seem to be a number of 'errors' on it.

Apart from the age and birthplace for Charles I would say everything else is suspect.

The birthplaces for the children - Amelia almost certainly as she was registered in Aston & Ladypool would be Birmingham.

As I mentioned early there are a couple of baptisms on Ancestry that might be connected - one is for a Joseph Frederick Haynes 1908 at St Andrew, Bordesley (not far from Tilton Road). If the occupation and address match then that would identify Elizabeth. Have you got an Ancestry subscription, if not someone might be able to have a look.

Thank you very much! How you are finding these facts so quickly- I've been plodding through the docs on ancestry and still take ages to find anything unless it's hinted! :)
Thanks for your patience! I am on ancestry so will continue to search!

Just experience, the more you do the easier it becomes.

Hello Ted Haynes feed my family and the surrounding area at lea Village in ther 60s
Vegetables. Fish. meat could be brought their.

Hi,
I remember being told that the old white farmhouse which I believe still stands
on the corner of Beechcroft Road and Old Chester Road belonged to Ted Haynes.
Of course the surrounding land is now the Parkfields Estate, but I understand
he was there before the estate was built.

Kind regards
Dave.

Hi cousin!

Hi Lesley

I hope you are still a vistor to this forum? This is my first post here and it's all due to my 78 year old father.

Yesterday he entered a search string into a search engine, and up popped one of your posts containing names he recognised!

It appears that my father and your father had the same Grandfather Thomas George Haynes(b1897) who married Mary Ellen Mason.

In another post your refer to the triplets, infact there were quite a lot of other offspring as well. I am sorry there are no dates but its been a couple of hectic days just finding out who was who and most have passed on.

The full list of offspring were (verified with Mary, one of the triplets) and maybe in the correct order....(lol ...there are so many!)

George.......your granddad
Herbert
William (Bill)
Charles......my grandad
Arthur (Tiny)
Horace
Minny
Alice
Then the triplets,

Edward (Teddy)
Maud
Mary

According to Mary, Maud died at 6 mths, which i think you already knew?

My parents (Joyce and Gordon) both remember Kate (Catherine) and George. My Father Gordon, lived in Greenwood Place ( His fathers house....Charles) and my mother in Dulwich Grove, before getting married at the Church in Dulwich road which has been knocked down. They also remember David (your uncle) having a 50th birthday which they attended.

My Grandfather went on to have 7 kids, Gordon, Charles, Shelia, Tony, Robert, Maureen and Peter. Quite a tribe ...... and now there are loads more.

Hope this has answered some of your questions, love to hear from you.

Adrian
Afternoon Adrian, I recently saw you post and was interested to find out more as i am the grandson of Horace Haynes, son of Edward James Haynes. Edward (Teddy) Horace's brother was also my Step Grandfather (he married my maternal grandmother after they met at my parents wedding)

Back