• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Fire Station Hq

As a child I was taken to Christmas parties at Central fire station. At that time dad worked for the non emergency ambulance service, if I remember correctly at Henrietta Street

The fire station when newly built in the 1930s - photo from the Shoothill site. And a couple of more recent photos during the renovation work to develop student flats. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I remember the place very well...When I was in the boy scouts I took my firefighters badge there.

Dave A

This Shoothill site image of the place where the 'new fire station' was to be built is labelled Potter Street from Lancaster Street. (I take it this really is where the Central Fire was built ?) The view today no longer bears the faintest resemblance to this view. Virtually all we see in this photo must have been bulldozered to make way for the Fire Station. Viv.

image.jpeg

Thanks Aggie. Again some very nice additions to this thread. Was the sentry a fireman, army, police or civilian?

Thought I'd compare photo #243 and #244. Below is a comparison (red dots show position of Potter Street/Lancaster Street junction) For me I'm now clearer as to how the Fire Station fitted in. Thanks. Viv

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Have just found this site and oh what memories! I think I was about one or two years of age when my mom and dad moved into Central (1948/9) and stayed there until I was 15 when we moved to a Fire Brigade house at Perry Common. We lived on the top floor of the balconies in Flat 38. My dad of course was the fireman, no female fire fighters then! Our next door neighbour was Mr and Mrs Joyes and they had two children Christine and David who became mine and my brother Dereck's best friends. Unfortunately, they moved to Mrs Joyes' home in Nice, France and we lost touch. I have many happy memories of growing up on the fire station.

Pat

hello pat and welcome....thanks for your memories please keep them coming and if you happen to have any photos we would love to see them....enjoy the forum:)

lyn

Inside Central Fire Station - After the renovation into student accommodation.

#1 Station Yard - Potter Street side accommodation.
Central  (1).jpg

#2 Station Yard - Potter Street to rear, Training Tower to right, New building in centre of yard.
Central  (2).jpg

#3 New Building added above flat roof of Potter street side. Aston University behind.
Central  (3).jpg

#4 Station Yard - View from 1st Floor balcony on Aston St side.
Central  (4).jpg

Thanks Two, looks like a good use for the building. Anyone know what the lower level areas which housed the engines will be used for? Viv.

The Appliance Room.

#5 Rear of old Appliance Room on left & New accommodation building on right.
Central  (5).jpg

#6 Rear of Appliance Bays.
Central (6).JPG

#7 Entrance to accommodation built in old Appliance Room.
Central (7).JPG

#8 Old Appliance Room Bays now house separate accommodation rooms.
Central (8).JPG

Well at least it has been saved for the future and put to a good use. Thanks to all that fought against demolition.
Cheers Tim.

Yes I was there from 1959 to 1965 on white watch Birmingham Fire & Ambulance Service will post more pic's
Hi Aggie

Was great to see your photos. I don't know if you have seen my post. I lived at Central from about 1948/9 until 1962. We lived in flat 38 and for the last few years in flat 42. I was a baby when we moved there. My dad was Bill Brown and my mom Kathleen.

Pat

Hi lynn
On my Last thread regarding the Ambulances and asking members had they been in one or recalled one
My mistake in saying it was one of vivs it was in fact one of Aggies 2347.
in post 246.
It said ,Emergency Ambulance red or 42 Birmingham Ambulance service near its birmingham central base
So the photo i was reffering is on central fire service which is showing the old Ambulance
Of yester years best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

View attachment 59404
Hi this is a picture of my Grandad William Pegg in the call room at the Central fire station during the war. We also believe the lady on the right to be Penny. My mother enjoyed looking at the pictures of the station as it brought back many childhood memories.

Central fire station postcards
View attachment 59413 View attachment 59411 View attachment 59410 View attachment 59412
Hi annieapple, is it possible to post your pictuses again as the link seems to be dead? I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group who would love to have sight of the pictures. cheers aggie
Hope you find this of interest
Annie

Hello again Davenport.
What a grand photo. I could have spotted your Dad even without you pointing him out, it's just the stance and the jaunty angle of his tin hat! Even nearly 30 years later he still hadn't put a pound of weight on by the look of things.

This photo has reawakened old memories, some good, some not so, but I thought that you might just want to know something rather special that your Dad did in his last years of service.

To the best of my ageing memory, in early 1972, your Dad, as a senior Fireman, (approaching retirement and having done his bit) would have spent most of his duty hours on the backline appliances, leaving the young ones to do the graft. However, one evening, your Dad found himself driving the BA Tender and, as such, would have been number 6 out of six crew members to don BA at a major incident, even though he could have opted out of wearing BA at the age of 45. This particular evening, there was a major fire in an old multi-storied Victorian wooden-floored factory complex in Tenby Street North, at the back end of the Jewellery Quarter. At the fire, crews from Ladywood and Central (including myself) were already committed and the BA Tender, driven by your Dad, was needed. Unusually, all six crew members of the BA Tender were sent into the building and your Dad was backing up a younger man called Malcolm. They were on the second or third floor staircase when, for no explicable reason, Arthur grabbed hold of Malcolm and yanked him backwards. At the same instance, the roof and two upper floors came cascading down, removing Malcolm's helmet, one boot and part of his BA set. Sadly, the collapse buried two other firemen from Ladywood, one of whom, Sub Officer Derek Andrews, lost his life.

Hours later, upon return to Central, whilst sat in the wet canteen discussing the job, someone asked Arthur what made him grab Malcolm. He had no rational answer and replied "Just instinct - something was wrong".

Well, in my book, 'just instinct' saved another man's life. Instinct gained over thirty years service.

Time may well have clouded my memory but this remains clear in my mind.

As ever, I still have fond memories of serving with your father and many other good men at Central.
Hi Selly Oak Boy, I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group and they would love to hear your story about Davenport (was his first name Dudley? ) l would really appreciate your permission to post it on the group. Cheers aggie.

Hi aggie2347 l also knew the Joyce family.l think l lived in the same flat as you. We left in -1949 my fathers name was Frank rayns I think the flat no was 9 but not sure.

Done it again forgot to put the pics on - silly billy - age is an awful complaint :blush:
Hi Denise, I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group who would love to see your control room pics and any others you may have. But I can't seem to find them could you please post them again. Cheers aggie

Hi Selly Oak Boy, I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group and they would love to hear your story about Davenport (was his first name Dudley? ) l would really appreciate your permission to post it on the group. Cheers aggie.

Hello Aggie 2347, though I assume it's possibly Ken. The chap's name was Arthur Davenport and I think he retired 75/76 ish, having spent all or nearly all of his service on Blue Watch at A1.
Do feel free to do whatever you wish with that old post I made re Arthur.

Hiya, Birmingham Fire is on Facebook run by David West. There is a wealth of information about the old Birmingham Stations you will love it. Just tell them who you are and bingo you are in. I look forward to your posts and comments. When and where did you serve? On the last count there were over 500 members so you are bound to know somebody. Find Birmingham Fire and join

It was nice to see the old fire station is now one of the Great British Buildings restored at £35M. (Channel 4). Now student pods.

Back