• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Peg I was just in the crowd shouting - rats rats (x 3) we must get rid of the rats, they chase our dogs and killed our cats.
Hi Carolina, I find it difficult to believe you didn't have a starring role (at the very least a rat), obviously the director didn't know talent when he/she saw it. I know what it is like to be passed over (a flicker in the crowd scene, as the song goes)- fancied playing Joseph in my first year's production of the Nativity (term commencing Set 60) managed to get Shepard no. 2, which has led me to another flashback, I hadn't realised how heavy the stage make-up had been applied until I got home that evening and looked in the mirror, the reason I was getting so many funny looks on the bus ride home was suddenly explained!
I've just thought of another play where I did have a starring role, it was Widdicomb Fair, staged in my final year at Farm St School, which I actually spent at Friends Hall because of over-crowding. I remember nothing of the plot; in the preliminary castings everybody was getting parts except me - I thought I was going to miss-out, couldn't get my hat on when I was told I was to play the heart-throb hero soldier, I thought after that girls would be falling at my feet, not so, I'm afraid. Ah well! That's life.
Regards,
Peg.

Well Peg as you are forthcoming with all your mishaps I have to now admit I had my prefect badge taken off me. The reason - it was Christmas time, some good looking builders on site (one in particular). Someone shouted Miss Cadman is coming I ran at the back of a shed to get away but my gondola basket got caught and so I was trapped. Well it was the season of goodwill to all builders!

Well Peg as you are forthcoming with all your mishaps I have to now admit I had my prefect badge taken off me. The reason - it was Christmas time, some good looking builders on site (one in particular). Someone shouted Miss Cadman is coming I ran at the back of a shed to get away but my gondola basket got caught and so I was trapped. Well it was the season of goodwill to all builders!
Hi Carolina, the punishment sounded very harsh, detention would have been more appropriate (especially if the builder was still working!) Was he working on the new toilet blocks? I estimate they were built in '61. What was in your gondola basket that you couldn't abandon it?
As for my part I was a slow starter romantically, although it didn't take me long (It was in my first year) before I became increasingly aware of the attractions of the older woman (that was every girl in the second year and above, including the odd teacher): experienced, enigmatic, charismatic, shapely.....(although, of course I didn't know the meaning of most of those words then!), anyway, fast-forwarding to my fourth year, there was a petite brunette in the fifth year (a prefect) who caught my attention, she would be on duty in the main hall (administering warnings to anyone who tried to take a short cut instead of going around the perimeter) and would witness the approach of me and my three associates with trepidation; without checking our pace, and with scant regard for her status, we would scoop her up and carry her to the far end of the hall, where she was released to return to her duties; after this had happened 2 or 3 times her struggling and complaining had become imperceptible. Somehow we never ended up on report.
Anyway, I detected some chemistry flowed between us but (always guilty of over-planning) before I realised what was happening she left. Ah well that's life, as one astute philosopher once penned,
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and will be different again tomorrow.
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, that's the one! Fantastic! Thanks! A yearning for an egg sandwich has suddenly developed.
(I've looked for the cafe name, if there is one I can't make it out).
Regards,
Peg.

no peg i cant see a name for the cafe either...hope you made that egg sarnie:D

lyn

Memoirs of an HLSS would-be guitar player
Hi folks, does anyone remember the name of the music teacher who was certainly in-post years 1964 and 65? Bearded, favouring cords and a rider of a Francis-Barnet motor cycle he was a superb Spanish classical guitar player. I remember, vividly, listening to him play during lunchtimes, in the artroom, whilst Mr Jones, artmaster, captured him in oils.
(This inspired me to to want to learn to play the guitar, but when after 2 years I hadn't progressed beyond page 3 of Burt Weedon's iconic guitar instruction book Play in a Day I was forced to conclude I didn't have a natural talent).
Regards,
Peg.
View attachment 112090
Mr pwee if you did somthing wrong he grab hold of your sideburns and stand you up. who remenbers alan brisco hitting him

Mr pwee if you did somthing wrong he grab hold of your sideburns and stand you up. who remenbers alan brisco hitting him
Hi John, welcome to the Forum.
I don't remember the teacher as the sort that might attract a violent action, was Brisco expelled?
Regards,
Peg.

Hi John, welcome to the Forum.
I don't remember the teacher as the sort that might attract a violent action, was Brisco expelled?
Regards,
Peg.
he had the cane from Mr Walker till his hand was bleeding his dad came round to the school, and there was a minor punch up in the play ground

Hi folks, does anyone remember the name of the music teacher who was certainly in-post years 1964 and 65? Bearded, favouring cords and a rider of a Francis-Barnet motor cycle he was a superb Spanish classical guitar player. I remember, vividly, listening to him play during lunchtimes, in the artroom, whilst Mr Jones, artmaster, captured him in oils.
(This inspired me to to want to learn to play the guitar, but when after 2 years I hadn't progressed beyond page 3 of Burt Weedon's iconic guitar instruction book Play in a Day I was forced to conclude I didn't have a natural talent).
Regards,
Peg.
View attachment 112090

Regards,
Peg.
View attachment 112090

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I think the music teacher was Mr Cole?

have to admit peg i had school dinners a few times and i loved them...would this be your cafe..farm st school visible on the left

lyn

View attachment 112228
Hi Lyn, enjoy the server shut-down, for my part I'm pretty sure I'll be working on my printer problem - can't clear a document stuck in the queue - has there ever been a software program that works properly and keeps on working?!
See everyone Friday.
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carolina, being coy about the contents of your gondola? No matter, how about an egg sandwich for a 1/- (5p)? The painful truth is my budget wouldn't stretch further than a single and it didn't help much when I got a paper-round at 7s-6d a week (37.1/2p) - can't believe I worked for so little, but it did go a lot further in 1963.
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did morning only paper round. Ford Street, Whitmore Street and Park Road. 8/-. Sometimes I fetched the lady owner (Peggy) a sandwich from the cafe on the corner and this would earn me another 2/-. When I think that I did this all before getting to school in Bartley Green.

I did morning only paper round. Ford Street, Whitmore Street and Park Road. 8/-. Sometimes I fetched the lady owner (Peggy) a sandwich from the cafe on the corner and this would earn me another 2/-. When I think that I did this all before getting to school in Bartley Green.
Hi Carolina, you may recall I lived in Heaton St. so I know all the roads you mentioned, Woolworths on The Flat was my virtual home - Toy counter especially. You really must have got up at the crack of dawn.
Regards,
Peg.

Back