• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christ Church New Street

Don't understand why the Exchange building "necessitated the taking down of Christ Church" when the Exchange was much further down New Street. Viv.

IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg

A few anecdotes from Christ Church...

Sep 1892...a fight in the Vestry
Feb 1892..the Blue Ribbon Army
Oct 1890...The Telephonic Experiment

Very strange, particularly as the exchange buildings were not demolished till much later.

I have a baptism record from 1877 showing that my Great Grandfather, then 25 years old was baptised on March 30th 1877 at Christchurch. By the date are the vicars initials, the only entry on the page like that and above the actual entry is written 'received into the church'. His residence is shown as Hill Street and as the rest of the baptisms lived in Broad Street, Sheepcote Street and Cambridge Street, I assume this church is in the Broad Street area, although in 1871 and 1881 he as shown on the census as living in Grosvenor Street. Can anyone identify the church please?

Bob

I believe the expression 'received into the church' relates to instances where a child is born, but not expected to survive, and a Baptism ceremony is urgently performed. Such 'Baptisms' might be carried out, not only by a Minister, but also by a Midwife, or even someone representing a Church. Many would get entered into the Church Register but, many were missed. Typically, 'received into the church' entry might be a couple of months after the initial Birth. The Child having survived and grown in strength that the parent are content to present such before a Minister.

You've really got to think back to the days in question. Officials scurrying about on foot, a 'day book' to hand, responding to verbal 'gossip', recording details in an Ad Hoc manner, and then, when the opportunity arose, transcribing that 'day book' into Registers, or not.

A Baptism at 25 years of age could suggest such a case or might be down to the person moving to another area, or that the original Records for a particular Church, had pershied.

I've previously seen a record of someone being Baptised when in their 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a baptism record from 1877 showing that my Great Grandfather, then 25 years old was baptised on March 30th 1877 at Christchurch. By the date are the vicars initials, the only entry on the page like that and above the actual entry is written 'received into the church'. His residence is shown as Hill Street and as the rest of the baptisms lived in Broad Street, Sheepcote Street and Cambridge Street, I assume this church is in the Broad Street area, although in 1871 and 1881 he as shown on the census as living in Grosvenor Street. Can anyone identify the church please?

Bob
Bob I see that you didn't question why your great grand father was baptised when he was 25 years old. It could simply be that he wanted to. Or maybe he was about to be married and that in those days the C of E required someone about to be married to be a member of the C of E.

I thought "received into the church" refers to people (usually adults) who choose to follow that religion having not previously been baptised in that denomination. Thinking about it I suppose it refers to those who choose for themselves rather than a baby having the choice made for them by parents.

It wasn't unusual for an adult to be baptised and accepted into the faith of a religion of someone that they wanted to marry. In fact at one time if persons of different faiths married it would more times than not have to be a civil marriage if one of them didn't convert.

Thank you all for your information and a lot of things now make sense, the first family records appear under an incorrect name in the 1851 census, Great grandfather was born 1852, no record in FreeBMD or Ancestry or any of the similar Genealogy providers of his Father, Mother or siblings apart from IGI and it is impossible to find out how they found birth years etc, likewise non of his siblings appear in the FReeBMD records as marrying or dying. So it could appear that they had no religious affiliation until he got married at St Martins in 1872 (Again his name is misspelt) and from that date on his records are complete. Incidentally he married a lady of Irish descent so perhaps she was religious and was the reason for his baptism.

Bob

This painting (artist unknown) portrays the interior of Christ Church as fairly spartan. The pews and decor seem particularly simple. Yet there are numerous lights all around the church. Are there 3 levels to the lectern ? Overall it shows a very different interior to how I would have imagined it- more like a chapel. Viv.

Screenshot_20230608_183031_Chrome.jpg

nice painting viv...not sure when it was painted but the church was was there from 1805 so i guess not unusual for the interior to be a bit sparse..

Yes that is a three tier pulpit but the stairs look very steep to me. What is puzzling me is its position central in an apse. I would have to ask where is the alter? In a CofE parish church of that time I would have expected the alter to be back against the eastern wall. As you say it does look more like an non-conformist chapel. Also the minister would not be visible anyone sitting in the gallery at the front of the church. Christchurch was built as an overflow for St Philips and was demolished when the local resident population had moved out and made the church redundant so the pews would have been free not rented out to wealthy parishioners.

Yes that is a three tier pulpit but the stairs look very steep to me. What is puzzling me is its position central in an apse. I would have to ask where is the alter? In a CofE parish church of that time I would have expected the alter to be back against the eastern wall. As you say it does look more like an non-conformist chapel. Also the minister would not be visible anyone sitting in the gallery at the front of the church. Christchurch was built as an overflow for St Philips and was demolished when the local resident population had moved out and made the church redundant so the pews would have been free not rented out to wealthy parishioners.
we must also take into account a little artistic licence

lyn

Last edited:
Back