• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

Great photo's my father-in-law talks of his time of being in the RAF Selectar, he was in the 84 Squadron and the 209 Squadron sunderland flying boats in Singapore in 1945. He was an Air Frame Mechanic, he's always talking of his time out there, and would love to go back for a trip down memory lane.

Jackie

RAF Eastleigh 1950.jpg I mentioned 82 squadron was in Africa to survey the Colonies for mapping purposes, have attached one of our Survey pics, it portrays Nairobi airport (our base) taken from 6,000 feet in 1950, you can just see 3 of our Lancaster's on the parking lot. Cadged this copy of our photographer amongst others. he gave me. EricView attachment 112153correction, I had put a recent 'google' pic in by mistake, have now put the original 1950 survey pic, sorry abot that

Last edited:
Thanks Very Much Dave, for that short film ! It revived old memories (and I have to admit the odd tear). It's 65 years now but that brought it all back. Thanks again. Eric
l

Thanks Very Much Dave, for that short film ! It revived old memories (and I have to admit the odd tear). It's 65 years now but that brought it all back. Thanks again. Eric
l
You are very welcome Eric. I actually met the woman that manages the museum that houses the Lancaster bomber in Hamilton Canada. No surprise that she is from the Birmingham area...
Dave A

The Memorial Flight Lancaster came from our Squadron (82), it is 2nd on the left on my third pic in #24 in peace time colours (silver and black), my regular Lanc was TW905 but have flew in them all at different times whilst ours was out of service, we flew day on, day off as the survey flights were about 10 hours. I shall attempt to down load that video you put on if I can work out how. Eric

Last edited:
Dave M Your 2nd pic shows what looks like a Hawker Hurricane, always pushed to the back by the Spitfire and yet it was a very successful and efficient fighter in early part of war. Incidentally , where were those pics taken, I realise it's not the Memorial Flight Lanc and just a static display a/c and were those 2 gentlemen ex aircrew reliving the past or just interested visitors. Eric

Dave M Your 2nd pic shows what looks like a Hawker Hurricane, always pushed to the back by the Spitfire and yet it was a very successful and efficient fighter in early part of war. Incidentally , where were those pics taken, I realise it's not the Memorial Flight Lanc and just a static display a/c and were those 2 gentlemen ex aircrew reliving the past or just interested visitors. Eric

Eric At the Home of the BBMF. with the BBMF Lancaster in 2007, yes Hurricane in the pic

Dave M, That is not the actual Memorial Flight Lanc is it ? I'm sure they would not normally allow any one to board that and I don't recognise the Logo on the side. The memorial Flight Lanc of course never saw active service, (it certainly never flew over the Rhur as the logo implies), it was destined for the Far East in 1945 but the war was over so it was passed to 82 Squadron and spent its life doing aerial survey in Africa with 6 other Lancasters under 90 Group, not Bomber Command from 1946 to 1953, Eric

Well unfortunately I have not seen it since leaving the squadron in 1951 so I suppose it could have any logo painted on, it seems rather inappropriate as the viewing public will assume it as saw active wartime service which of course it never did. Eric

Last edited:
The Lancaster - and a few other heritage aircraft - often attend the Dartmouth Royal Regatta (always at the end of August). Dartmouth and Kingswear, both on steep hills, but on opposite sides of the River Dart, is a wonderful place to see these aircraft in action. I usually view from Kingswear.
They most fly very low over the towns and river and then often have to climb to clear the hilltops. The sounds are most impressive.
https://www.dartmouthregatta.co.uk/
Note: The 2017 events, other than sailing, are not yet online. You can sign up for alerts if you wish to.

Three pics of Lancasters in their postwar role during the photographic survey of Africa.
A Lanc somewhere over Africa
africalanc.JPG

On the ground possibly Salisbury Southern Rhodesia.
lancaster 1.jpg

Cameras and spare film magazines inside an 82 Sqdn. Lancaster
insidelanc.JPG

oldMohawk, what a coincidence , those 3 pics where taken by the RAF Review magazine staff who were doing an article on our Squadron in 1950 or 1951, the chap in the bottom pic was 'Paddy' our squadron Photographer, aged about 40 then so now long since gone, I cadged a number of pics of him including that survey pic in my post #43. As I had least to do during the long survey flights (up to 10 hours) it was my job to change the film cartridges in the 2 cameras (one photographing the terrain and one the instruments giving height, position etc...) also had to pass around the coffee and sandwiches during our 'break' (but still surveying ). I have copies of all those pics and the accompanying article in my photo album. It was no joke tramping up and down the fuselage, survey height was 22,000 feet so it was pretty cold and the air was very thin , certainly needed oxygen. That why we worked one day on, one day off. Eric

Aboard a Lanc 1950.jpg Looking through my Album, found this pic of me on a short low level air test, hence no flying suit, this was taken by Paddy shown in pic 3 #54. This thread certainly brings back memories to me. Nostalgia unlimited. This was before colour film photography. Incidentally Paddy (full name Michael Small) would develop and print all our films for us for the price of a drink. Eric

As well as the interesting info and photos of the Lancaster, it's great to hear about the human aspects of the plane and what went on inside them.

Eric - those sun glasses look familiar. Were they standard issue? My dad had some, was still wearing them into the 1970s ! Think they gained popularity again in the 1980s when the film 'Top Gun' was released. Viv.

Vivienne, yes they were RAF issue, aircrew only. Officially should have worn flying suit and parachute harness but the a/c had been parked in the Sun all morning and it was like an oven, and we were only on a short flight to test paddy's recently installed new cameras (he took my pic), he also had to show me how to change the film cartridges during flight as that was my job, 20 seconds between each 'shot' so I had to be quick. This 'thread' is really bringing back memories to me, things I'd long forgot. Eric

Think flying in any of these planes must have been difficult when it came to clothing. My dad kept his long flying socks and we used to use them as Christmas stockings. They were thick, knitted, white ones. Viv.

Back