• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Fire Station Hq

Hi aggie2347 l also knew the Joyce family.l think l lived in the same flat as you. We left in -1949 my fathers name was Frank rayns I think the flat no was 9 but not sure.

Done it again forgot to put the pics on - silly billy - age is an awful complaint :blush:
Hi Denise, I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group who would love to see your control room pics and any others you may have. But I can't seem to find them could you please post them again. Cheers aggie

Hi Selly Oak Boy, I am a member of the Birmingham Fire Group and they would love to hear your story about Davenport (was his first name Dudley? ) l would really appreciate your permission to post it on the group. Cheers aggie.

Hello Aggie 2347, though I assume it's possibly Ken. The chap's name was Arthur Davenport and I think he retired 75/76 ish, having spent all or nearly all of his service on Blue Watch at A1.
Do feel free to do whatever you wish with that old post I made re Arthur.

Hiya, Birmingham Fire is on Facebook run by David West. There is a wealth of information about the old Birmingham Stations you will love it. Just tell them who you are and bingo you are in. I look forward to your posts and comments. When and where did you serve? On the last count there were over 500 members so you are bound to know somebody. Find Birmingham Fire and join

It was nice to see the old fire station is now one of the Great British Buildings restored at £35M. (Channel 4). Now student pods.

Ryman will be opening soon on Aston Street. Also noticed a place called Wok to Go (or Wok and Go) will open at unit 3.

2014 view before they removed the old shops and turned the fire station into student accommodation.

I have attempted to upload a couple of photos that i have come across,unfortunately ive been unable to as message states 'uploaded file to large'.
one photo of 12 Firemen in B A kit dated 12th April 1950. at Central.
second one of 7 Firemen in civvies , looks as if they are relaxing on flats balcony at central. c.1950s

I will email copy to anyone who is interested.

hi davenport i have sent you a private message (inbox top right of the page) giving you my email address...will be happy to re size and post the photos for you..

lyn

davenport, to resize try right click on pic, click on 'send to' click on 'paint', hold Ctrl (control) key and W key together, it will show a box saying 100% change to (say) 40% or 50%. Eric

If you have Windows Live Photo Gallery - open the photo, click properties, resize, select e.g. "Large:1280" then click "Resize and Save"

P1210944 (960x1280).jpg

here is a photo of davenports dad on the left...

clive i think you may have sent me more than 1 photo but my email is playing up ..can you re send me any others you would like me to post for you as i am sure they will be of interest to our members

lyn

clives dad on left.JPG

clives dad is 2nd on the left..3rd from the left if counting the officer

lyn

clives dad.JPG

Last edited:
Great pictures. I served on White Watch a A1 Central from 1959 to 1966 and remember Arthur Davenport who was on a different watch to me. I think he is third from the left at the back In the BA photo? The resuscitation equipment at the front is a Novox or Novita as carried on the emergency ambulances and the men are wearing Proto Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. Please post anymore pictures that you may have as they will be of great interest to the Birmingham Fire Group. Also someone in the group will give us the history of the Turntable Ladder.

At a guess that turntable ladder looks like it might be a Leyland or Dennis (preference in that order ;)) with a Merryweather 75ft.or 100ft. turntable ladder. I await further facts about this vehicle. I am not sure about the date but the brass helmets, if not a ceremonial occasion, suggest pre WW2.

Back