• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manor house nechells

Astoness- I have just googled the Manor House an arrived at this thread. I don't know how far you are with this, but looking at the date of the thread quite away I should think. It appears that Thomas was my gggg grandfather on my mothers side via his son Henry (b1841) his son Thomas (b1864) and his son Thomas Henry (b1893) my grandfather. The Bus and Cab business seems to me a family thing, as my great grandfather Thomas drove for the Midland Red. I'm still researching this and assimilating the information here, having only started last week, so I have a way to go . Regards, Rob

hi rob...how great is this...i have done a bit on the chapmans but an awful lot on the harringtons as they are a direct line for me so if i can help fill in any gaps with your chapmans and i have the info please just ask..

my 3 x g grandfather henry harrington had a son william b 1838 william married sarah chapman daughter of thomas chapman...on post 6 is a photo of clara harrington daughter of william and sarah harrington...

i think somewhere down the line we must be related but i cant work out how lol

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Cheers Lyn-Related, yes, but I think only Pickfords could work out how far removed we are. I will shout if I get stuck. I had just come across the Harringtons, but I think they will be a step toooo far at the moment. I was following my Grandfather essentially and have lots of more modern stuff to un-ravel now. Enforced emigration to Australia being my focus at the moment.

Regards, Rob

i would leave the harringtons rob they have led me a merry dance for years now lol...but if you want more info on your 4x gt grandfather thomas chapman and his business there are quite a few newspaper articles on this thread for you to read...

all the best with your research

lyn

Hello chapman descendants,

I've just joined here and it's all very interesting.

One of my connections: Thomas Chapman - Henry Chapman (brother to Sara Chapman) - William Henry Chapman - Elsie Chapman (my grandma).

I've been told that Thomas was a coach man and omnibus driver, Henry and William Henry were also omnibus cab drivers serving the Aston/Nechells areas. Although I've also got it down that Henry was a publican of the white swan (1891 census) on wheeler street, which doesn't seem to be there anymore.

This is a photograph of an omnibus on the Nechells route and was, I believe, almost certainly a Chapman bus as that was the route they worked. I've been told my side that the little girl holding the stick is my grandma - she would have been three at the time so looks about right. The photo was taken in 1906. This raises the possibility that the boy next to her is Percy chapman as he would have been 5 and the taller girl is Elizabeth chapman who would have been 10. Likely then that driver is a chapman too.
Can't be sure of this, but seems likely.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi Rogersan, I traced someone's family history for them some time ago but unfortunately he has all the records. I have an old PC somewhere so I'll check to see if there is anything on there. I do remember the name Percy and yes I'm 99% sure that the little boy in the hat is him. If I remember correctly, Thomas had to sell up and it may have been due to a drink problem. This was the case with a lot of cabmen as it was lonely, tiring work. I'll come back to you if I find anything.

Hello lady penelope,
That's great! I wasn't sure if I'd get a reply as this thread is two years old. My cousin did an extensive search on the chapmans and has put together a nice family tree. This is on my grandmas side - Elsie, sister to Percy. I've come across your posts enquiring about the white swan on wheeler street so I'm guessing you researched the line connected to Henry chapman - William, Thomas, Joseph or Mary Chapman.
It's been great to find images and some newspaper articles on here connected to the chapmans and to hear from you that the pic of the horse drawn bus is as we suspected. My dad, who is 86 now, will be thrilled to see all this.

Hi Rogersan,
I rang Laurence Chapman today. He is Percy's grandson and his father was Terry. He was really interested to hear that you had made contact and had mentioned Elsie to me some time ago. He also has a copy of the photograph you posted and confirms that the little boy is Percy. If you send me a Private Message I will give you Laurence's email address and you can make contact with him. He no longer lives in Birmingham.

welcome to the forum roger...nice to see someone else with a connection to the chapman family...as you may have read my connection is that thomas chapmans daughter sarah married my 3 x gt grandfathers son william in 1838

all the best

lyn

Hi lady P,
Turns out that my dad was Terence chapmans best man at his wedding! I'll ask him if he's got any pics of that day.

Astoness,

Yes I noticed the your connection with Sarah. I'll ask my dad if he knows anything about her. My dad was born in 1931, long after Sarah's time, but maybe he knows something. I'll message you if he does.

Hi Rogersan, Laurence, Terence's son was really pleased to hear about the family tree and would love to see it. I got stuck on one line so I'm interested too. Will send you my email address.

Hi all, I have just started tracing my tree and knew about the Chapmans, want to verify as much as I can about the trams/buses and Nechells Manor House if I can. I have got as far as Thomas 1861 and Sarah 1821, they are my GGG Grandparents and the line I follow is their son Henry, his daughter Mary Ann Eliza, her daughter Gertrude is my Grandmother.

Would love to know as much as possible any further back if I can.

Thanks
Dawn

Morning Lyn, while I was at the Archives yesterday, ploughing my way though dusty papers, I came across a small folded piece of vellum. I didn't have time to read it all as it appeared to be written in a lot of legal jargon. However, I did spot that it was concerning Nechells Manor House and that the first line read '9th Day of March in the reign of our much loved lord Henry VIII'. Unusually I couldn't see a specific year but it was lovely to see something that old connecting to the Manor House. I looked Henry up and he reigned from 1509 to 1547.

hi pen thanks for that but i think it must refer to a much earlier nechells manor house from the one my rellies lived in..mine lived in the one pictured on post 3 which was built much later than the 1500s by the looks of it...

lyn

Was it on the same spot? Something else to look for!

pen i am not sure but i seem to recall a few years back reading about a much old manor house...please dont quote me on this but i think the holte family were mentioned..

lyn

Back