• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston WW1 Roll Call

JKC

Deleted Upon Request
I started this roll call around 2002, just after the main site had came on line....I thought it would only take me a few months to complete....over 4 years later I was able to finish my part, I say my part because I would like you all to add the name(s) of family members who lost their lives during this conflict....I wished I had got everyman/boys name on the roll but I know that I haven't....some because of my mistake.some who's full detail isn't available, and others are not listed because their loved ones didn't want them to be......
While I was searching through I thought what was going through the minds of the families who's sons, brothers, husbands were fighting.....nearly every family must have had someone close killed, I wonder how they comforted each other....everyday someone they knew was killed.....next door neightbour...someone up the street, down the street, in the next road....it must have been horrible....anyway back to the roll call....when the site first started it was only about Aston....halfway through my research it expanded to take in other areas, by that time I was well into my reseach....I couldn't afford to start all over again....therefore this roll call is only of the men and boys of Aston....but there are a few from other parts of Birmingham....only two or three......
I have up loaded it in Excel and Works database

:angel: John that's just great and I'm sure your hours of work and research will be well appreciated by all who take time to view.
To say nothing of all those who's families information is mentioned there. :cool:

Aston WW1 Roll Call

John

Thanks for sharing your hard work with us all. Can I ask where you got the names and address's from, was they from Local newspapers of the period.

I have approx 75% of the 1918 Birmingham absent voters list photo-copied, which has all the streets of Aston, Nechells, Lozells etc and the men who lived there (over 21) who did not vote due to military service.

Terry

:angel: Do you have any info' on
Rupert
Private ?
26888 service Number

Royal Warwickshire Regiment
"C" Coy. 5th Bn.
Died 22/08/1918 age 19 Buried Key Hill B'Ham.
He was injured in training

John, well done, what a task that must have been.
I have tried looking at your list in different forms,I was amazed if you sort by address the pattern it shows where sometimes 20 or more names come from just one street,Wheeler Street for example shows 22 names,the effect it must have had on neighbourhoods and families.
I just hope that your effort remains accessible to other people for their research.

Colin

Hi Chris P.

A bit more info regarding the tragic death of Rupert . According to the 'National Roll of the Great War' He enlisted in September 1917. During training received an accidental injury from a bayonet which resulted in his leg being amputated. He died 13 days later.

Terry

I remember that about Rupert . It is so sad such brave young men. My friend's son is in the RAF and when he goes away I always feel so sad. I can't imagine what his mother goes through.

:angel: Thanx Terry, However I do have that information and yes it was you Wendy who sent it to me a couple of years ago.
Since then I have found out a lot about Rupert, a member of my close family that I was never told even existed.
Thank you both and to John Young who found out you could still just about see Rupert's name on the Key Hill memorial and to Cromwell who was kind enough to go and take a photos for me.
I must also mention Glyn from 1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums who was kind enough to send me a copy of Rupert's SDGW Card.

I most say, there are some really fantastic people out there who are more than willing to give up their time to help others, a very positive trait in this modern Topsy turvy world of ours.

John.........Just reinstalled all my system and just been cruising your research .......which is superb and helped me a lot to dot the i's and cross the t's I would like to say
Thank You

Hi David. My guess is the link disappeared when JCK asked for his/her membership to be deleted. I've done a general Google search but it hasn't turned up anything. It's probably been taken offline.

I wonder if any other member saved the link? Viv.

I never asked for the Roll Call to be deleted or any other posting, my work was given to Rod Birch to upload , he may have deleted after the fall out, John K Colin was JKC now Aston Lad

hi john thanks for clearing that up for us...do you think there is anyway the roll call could be put back on the forum please..if not not to worry

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
oh that would be great john...many thanks for trying...fingers crossed good luck

lyn

Here goes.....now don't forget its 10 years old now, I will upload it in excel and words data base......

This site will not allow me to upload, something about extensions ?

ok john dont worry....i will forward this to warren to see if he can advise you

lyn

The forum's Image Host (Coppermine) will accept doc files. A link to an existing typical doc file is shown below. If the link is clicked it will offer to save the doc in a computer where it can be viewed with Word or OpenOffice etc.
https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10241/Aston_Brook.doc

It would be better to convert the document to pdf format which can be viewed directly in any PC or iPad etc. For example: I have converted the above doc file to pdf, uploaded to Coppermine and it can be seen directly with a click on the link below.
https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10006/Aston_Brook.pdf

ps. just tested and both links display directly in my iPad.

Last edited:
Ta for the reply oldmohawk, but to be very honest I haven't a clue what you are on about ...sorry, I am not a computer person, I am more than willing to send the information to someone who can post it on this forum.....John

hi john as said i have sent a message to warren to see if he can help with this...i know he is busy at the min but he will get back to you asap...dont forget that most likely from tomorrow the forum will be down for forum maintenance hopefully we be back online within a couple of days...

lyn

Back