• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lingards. Nursery Road - Sewing Shop, Clothing Manufacturers

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Can anyone remember the name of a clothing manufacturers, sewing workshop, etc., in Nursery Road, the Hockley Brook end please?

hi mike well i lived off nursery road hockley and i cant recall one which of course does not mean to say there was not one..i have many old photos of this road so i will have a look at them...what sort of date are we looking at..as an aside there is also a nursery road off the harborne road but i imagine you have the correct one..

lyn

mike as nursery road was not that industial (mainly houses) with just a few small buisinesses that building was the only one i could think of that may fit the bill..over the years a few companies have traded from there including abrahalls cardboard box makers and i will have to check this in my notes but i think the first to trade there made either raincoats or was it umbrellas lol before that the ground was the site of hockley brewery..if mike ingram thinks this is the one i am quite happy to post an old photo of the building which by luck has the cockrell name on it

lyn

Last edited:
Many thanks Mike that's helpful; the Cockerell building is the one I had in mind but the name Cockerell doesn't ring a bell but of course my memory is not always reliable.
My sister worked as a seamstress in the 1940s. That's the building I thought it was or it may have been one nearby. There were several factories of businesses in that stretch of the road. Any other business names you can give for that stretch in the mid to late 40s?

This is the building now but any idea what firm was in the building to the right in 1he late 1940s; the one that says Comercial Catering?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2017-02-17-at-17.49.43.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2017-02-17-at-17.49.43.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 21
An interesting detail in Mike's map post #3 Cockrell's 'catwalk' is labelled! Like that. Viv.

hi mike so you now think it maybe the catering building and not the cockrells clothing manufacturer further down ?? if so that would be no 27 on mikes map so a kellys look up for the 1940s could be useful

lyn

Last edited:
Cockrell are listed in 1940 as pinafore manufacturers. No 27 is Tonks engineers in 1940 and 1950, and Midland educational, and a stationary firm in 1955

right mike so its not no 27 then..the photo i have of cockerlls was taken 9th march 1955...looking like its the only clothing manufacturers for the year mike is looking for..

lyn

Many thanks it looks as if it was Cockrells; many thanks. The name does ring a sort of a bell. Not from seeing the word but from the rhythm of the word

here you go mike..both taken on the same date 0th march 1955...the crown pub is to the left of cockrells corner of nursery road and villa st
NURSERY ROAD PHOTOS 006.jpg NURSERY ROAD PHOTOS 024.jpg

I have just found the name Lingard associated with 27 Nursery Road in 1945. The name rings a much louder bell than Cockerell. Can anyone make any links to Lingards and Sewing?

I have just found the name Lingard associated with 27 Nursery Road in 1945. The name rings a much louder bell than Cockerell. Can anyone make any links to Lingards and Sewing?

mike where did you find lingards at no 27 nursery road?

just read that gazette info and it says lingards hockley b 18....no 27 nursery road is b19

lyn

The 1946 Kellys, which would refer to 1945, lists Lingard' Clothing Co (Birmingham) Ltd, children's clothing, as at 18 Witton Road & Musgrave Road, Hockley. There is a notice in the papers in 1942 that the Musgrave Road factory had been requisitioned (all the office & canteen equipment being sold off) , though perhaps it had been returned to them by the end of the war. It is possible Lingard took over ownership Cockrell's, but retained the company name.

That sounds likely Mike about them taking over Cockerells as that is the building I always thought my sister worked at. I know from my own family history that Trade directories were not always up to date. I had family members listed after they had died or moved their trade elsewhere.

Lyn, I was making a guess as it said Hockley in the paper, and a couple of others I found and the name Lingard rang a loud bell in my memory.

what alerted me mike was the bit in the paper said B18 ..as i said nursery road is B19..well i am happy that you are happy to have a photo of where your sister worked:)

by the way when i read the name lingards my mind went straight to the company linreads...our mom did outwork for them but thats another story..

all the best mike

lyn

Hi Lynn
Yes you are correct to agree with mike about cockerils and yes it was lyngards sewing clothing labels as well
As i recall lyngards i wish i had a pound for every time i walked up passing that place beleive or not
i would walk pass there thre or four times aday even at night time walking back from hockley and winson green
i recall when samuels built thee office blocl ware house on the brook and the bridge and clock being built above it
even the scrap dealers in thhose units by the bus stop
and there was a news agent at the bottom of the road which i think you said it was your road villa road
0n the corner of nursery road and villa street and farm street opersite wher the number eight would turn on the old bus route to hockley brook and with the copper directing the traffic on the old main juction with his white coat on
and i should not tell you this bit but the news agent on the corner used to experience there one paper would be short in delivery from the delivery drivers that was down to me i used to help myself to a sunday mercury news paper
and i would pop down later monday morning and pay for it but i started to do was i would leave a combination of two burt out match stickes and crossed them and leave them on top of the news papers
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Back