• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a toll house on The Crescent at the entrance to Crescent wharf for vehicles using the wharf. shown in red on map.

map c1889 showing toll house at enratnce to Crescent wharf.jpg

The poster seems to be advertising "An Exhibition of Soviet Russian Education". Why would it be advertised on the Crescent in the 1930s? Interesting. Viv.

In the late 1920s and early 1930s unemployment was high and people started to look at the political system in Soviet Russia and members of the British Communist Party probably started to advertise the 'good points' of their system. There were probably reasons known only to themselves why they would put a poster on the Toll House.

There were frequent political meetings in the 1930's. Their popularity waned in the late 1930's, when most folks could see which way the wind was blowing. They were generally either far right or far left in the political spectrum and it was not unknown for brawls between the two sides. My father once witnessed such as brawl in the Bull Ring when a faction tried to break up a Mosley led meeting.
The poster seems to be advertising "An Exhibition of Soviet Russian Education". Why would it be advertised on the Crescent in the 1930s? Interesting. Viv.

There were frequent political meetings in the 1930's. Their popularity waned in the late 1930's, when most folks could see which way the wind was blowing. They were generally either far right or far left in the political spectrum and it was not unknown for brawls between the two sides. My father once witnessed such as brawl in the Bull Ring when a faction tried to break up a Mosley led meeting.
The Bull Ring in 1931 and crowds stand around people making a speeches which could have been about politics or maybe about religion. Some diamond shaped adverts on that van parked near the meetings.
BullRingMeeting1931.JPG
'britainfromabove'

View attachment 110749

1955 from The Sphere, from a painting by Clive Upton.
The front cover of one of Ian Allan's spotters reference books of Birmingham City Transport has a picture of a number 7 at that stop and I am sat by the window upstairs, it is in the loft at the moment but when I can gat back up there I will find it and put it on the forum. The bus stopped there because it was the split for buses going down New Street and those heading for Broad Street. But is the painting wrong because the stop appears to be on the wrong side of the reservation? Comments please.
Bob

I think it is a question of the perspective. I commented in another post how narrow the reservation was at that point and that there was no barrier on the road side.

DevonJim
I am about to argue with you, firstly thanks for posting a superb picture. Was it a postcard? However in the painting, the bus stop is on the left hand side of the reservation coming towards the Town Hall from Colmore Row with the actual sign over the road and this would make boarding the bus impossible. Your picture looking from the Town Hall back up Colmore Row clearly shows the true size of the reservation with the bus stop on the right hand side looking from Colmore Row and the actual sign over the pavement. However one thing I have forgotten is...was the 5a the only bus to go from the stop/s hidden by the statue?
Bob

The lady in blue looks as if she is leaning against the bus stop and is standing on the kerb. The lady in green is already on the carriageway so we cannot see the base of the bus stop. The man with the pinstripe pants is a little odd in that he looks as if he is standing with his back to the road. I still think is a perspective issue which the artist could have got wrong. One thing that does look wrong is the width of the pavement compared with DevonJim's photo. The bus stop flag would always be positioned pointing away from the road unless for some reason the post was back from the kerb say against a wall or hedge. The no. 7 bus to Portland Road went from this stop travelling along Paradise Street. The 5/5A bus went to Perry Common stopping outside the Museum and going down New Street.

re #338. Take your points, the pavement is too narrow and the passengers are looking the wrong way. I think 15A/15B both stopped outside Lyons before going down New St on the way out of town, down Ethel St? towards Hill St. The picture has been posted previously on the forum.

The 15 went to somewhere in south Birmingham, I have forgotten where, and ran cross city with the no. 16 to Hamstead, These buses came up Ethel Street and down New Street. The no 15 came along Colmore Row and turned down New Street and into lower Temple Street to get to Hill Street. Yes I think it did stop outside Lyons but I don't know if any others did.

At the time being written about the 15 went Yardley and the 15B to Garrets Green. There was a 15A but I never saw one. I know the 15 services were extended as the city expanded its area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back