• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electric Trams

Bob, I hope you do not think I painted this !! It is by Eric Bottomley, noted for his city and train paintings, the only thing we have in common is our Christian names and we both paint, he being a far superior artist to me. Eric
Sorry, but it is still good
Bob

I have TWO copies of TRAM DAYS cost 12p! An Evening mail souvenir, Many photos of the last trams to be used to be has a beautiful full colour painting in the centre of 'Sunrise over Aston', by Robert Calvert Strange, I can NOT find a date this was published anywhere. Anyway If anyone would like a copy I will send it over the pond to you, NO charge, Just send me a Personal Message, with your address I will post it to you.

This c1938 photo of two trams is tagged 'Corner of Parade & Lodge Rd' but must be wrong. I think the No 32 tram has just come out of Newhall Hill and is on it's way to the terminus in Edmund Street.
No 32 tram2x.jpg

This c1948 aerial view appears to show the white telephone box which can be seen on the left in the first photo.
NewhallHillParade1948.JPG
On this map I have marked where I think the No32 tram was.
Capture.JPG
There is a forum photo of the No 32 tram at it's destination terminus as below
nice pic of lodge road tram terminus..dated 1940s...but which lodge road is it..im sure one of our tram experts can help with this one...
lyn
index.php
LodgeRdterminus1940s.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike and steam fans of trams
Here are a couple of steam trams i have sotted for you all
In Aston Newtown row and witton Island;
The first one is of a tram moving from Miller St. depot to Kyotts Lake Road tram works for scrapping, a short while after the last service cars had run. It's throwing up the dust from the rail groove as this line hadn't been used much by then.

Route 32 was to Winson Green via Lodge Rd, and along with the Washwood Heath and Alum Rock routes, the trams on there used bow collectors instead of poles to connect to the overhead wire.

Bow collector.jpg

As further proof, the tram on the right has a trolley arm which means that it is on the Dudley Road route in the Parade. I can't read the destination board but I suspect it is running to the Depot as it looks like words rather than a number in the box.

Was there something about the 32 route which required trams with bow collectors ?
I don't know if there was a physical reason for the bow collectors. The outer terminus was surrounded by railway bridges but I don't think that was significant. There was a practical reason in descending the Parade the the tracks divided and the bow collectors were able to trigger an overhead switch which changed the points.

In addition to the post by David, mentioning the triggering of the switching arrangements, I believe the sharp curves on route 32 were also a factor. The car entering The Parade presumably is going to Roseberry Street which was a tram depot at the time.
Old Mohawk is correct with his precise locations of course.
A good drawing supplied by Lloyd of the bow collector.

A tram at the No 10 terminus c1949 with a view of the old Beaufort Cinema. The conductor is swinging the collector pole round the tram to position it on the overhead line. The driver is waiting to put the key in the Bundy Clock and looking at the photographer.
Beaufort1949tram.jpg

I would suggest this photo was actually taken in 1950, when the Washwood Heath and Alum Rock routes were converted to bus. Trams like 382 above that were being kept and transferred to other depots (to replace older stock) were fitted with normal trolley poles in place of the Bow Collectors normally fitted to the Washwood Heath depot fleet.
Washwood Heath and Alum Rock tram replacement notice.jpg

A No 6 Perry Barr tram in Martineau Street
index.php

(only visible if logged in)
from

Men only caught in this 1940s pic, where are the women ?
This photo brings back many old memories for me because as a youngster I often caught the No 6 tram in Martineau St and if the weather was fine I'd sit on the open balcony of the tram and hear the wheels screeching as the tram made the sharp right turn into Corporation St.
Across the road is Cherry St which had two of my favourite shops ... 'Grenvilles' and the 'Model Aerodrome'. Even the advert on the tram 'Everybody's' reminds me that I read it once or twice but can't remember what was in it.

The #6 tram on its journey along High Street Aston, just passing the Waggon and Horses on the left. Much earlier than the 1940s photo #280. Viv.

image.jpeg

Tram 347 with no one in it parked in Miller Street.
miller1.jpg
Tram 664? also parked in Miller Street c1941. It's windows may have been damaged when the Depot was bombed and temporary repairs are in place. White blinds on the upper part of the windows of the houses compared to the windows in the first pic.
miller2.jpg

I suspect that 347 might have gone the wrong way on the points because it is an odd place to stop. The trolley pole shows that the tram is coming towards the photographer but, if so, the tram would be running 'wrong road'. The second picture at exactly the same place is running away from the photographer and is 'right road'.

This pic is dated 3rd Sept 1950 and shows tramcar 551 standing at a quiet looking Rednal terminus.
Rednal3_9_1950.jpg

Hi Old mowhawk
I have sorted out a couple of old trams i thought you may like to see around corporation street area

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 28
Back