• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marston Green Hospital Nurses

Few more to follow.
Note: May go unnoticed, but bottom left corner of one of the pages mentions 19th Canadian General Hospital!

Words from the wards!!
The following pages are photographs of pages from Mary Ellen Cremin's autograph book.View attachment 111820
Hi, I too have an autograph book very similar to this, dated, 1930-1934 with verses from various people which belonged to my Grandmother, Gladys Woodbridge. I have been trying to find out where she was brought up as she must have been sent away after her birth as she was born illegitimately. Some of the verses are similar to those in Mary Ellen Cremin's book. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to upload them to this site. I wonder if you might know of the staff members' names from the early '30's or where I could find out how to find them? Many thanks, CHINCH.

Hi CHINCH,

Staff members at Marston Green? No that's not something I've been able to track down yet, but I'm still working on it.

My understanding is that Marston Green Hospital was built during WW2 as the 19th Canadian General Hospital (there's a long thread about MGH, that's well worth reading). I don't remember any mention of what existed, if anything, at MG before the 19th CGH. I have read about Marston Green Cottages, and I think they housed homeless families/children, but I don't remember the detail and I don't want to provide inaccurate information here.

I have photographs of other pages and although I'm ok with computers and digital photography, I have found it difficult to post them on here. Images I took with my camera in the landscape position will upload, images taken with my camera in the portrait position wont upload!! Can anyone let me know the best way of posting images on this forum?

I had this as a direct message, but thought it might be useful to someone reading this thread if I put it here.

Hello Pat56, I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly. I have just seen the verses from the autograph book you posted on the forum and my heart missed a beat! I have an autograph book very similar to this which belonged to my Grandmother, Gladys Woodbridge. My book contains verses from "Mother", D. Stanmore, E. Taylor, Mrs J. Wallen and Cecil Harry Lloyd? One of the verses is the same as one of those in your book and is written by the same person, I'm sure. This could be the breakthrough I have been waiting for. I know that my Grandmother was born to an unmarried Mother in Buckingham in 1915 but married in Birmingham in 1935. I have no idea where she grew up and we only found this autograph book when she died in 1987. I have been trying to find out where this place may have been. My book is dated from 1930-1934 and it must be possible for the staff to still be there a few years later. I wonder if you might know where I could find out information and if any of the staff I have mentioned were in your lovely book? It certainly is a precious memory to have. Was your book from Marston Green Hospital? Was it Chelmsley Hospital before that, do you know?
I'm sorry to bombard you with questions but it's the first time I have seen another of these books and for it to be so similar can't just be a coincidence........ can it?!!!! I would love to hear from you if you might be able to tell me more. Thanks for your time. Kind regards, Julie.

Hi, I too have an autograph book very similar to this, dated, 1930-1934 with verses from various people which belonged to my Grandmother, Gladys Woodbridge. I have been trying to find out where she was brought up as she must have been sent away after her birth as she was born illegitimately. Some of the verses are similar to those in Mary Ellen Cremin's book. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to upload them to this site. I wonder if you might know of the staff members' names from the early '30's or where I could find out how to find them? Many thanks, CHINCH.

I sent a reply to this (before the one above) but it hasn't appeared in the thread.

Marston Green staff? ....... I haven't been able to track this down yet, but we are still working on it.

There's a good thread about MGH that is well worth reading. My understanding is that MGH started out as the 19th Canadian General Hospital during WW2 - don't remember coming across anything pre WW2. I have read somewhere about Marston Green Cottages - think they may have housed children such as your grandmother.

I have more photos of pages from our autograph book, but even though they are taken with the same camera they wont upload - help anyone?

Hi Pat56, these are just lovely . Are the verses to your Mother from work colleagues? How did you manage to upload them as I still am having trouble. Apparently, my files are too big to upload. My Grandmother worked as an auxillary nurse at some point but I thought it was a t Sorrento Hospital. Have you had any luck with your search? There is a site which may help some people, William Dargue-A History of Birmingham Places + Placenames.......from A to Y. I don't know if it is any use to you, Pat? CHINCH.

lady P, thanks for the comment re soap ...... I had missed the significance of coupons, but now I see the humour!

CHINCH - photos! It's a real challenge! Try the "Image Hosting" thread at the top of the forum. Register there, upload your photos there after registration is accepted. Then it's either up load a file from there or copy and past from there - forget which worked.

This is a great forum, but how many photos must go unposted because it's so difficult to get them on here.
I have worked with computers since they arrived in the work place. I have an interest in photography and moved from film to digital years ago, I do my bit with photoshop and home printing, post on other web sites, etc. - but posting photos on this forum has me baffled!

Hi Janice, THANK YOU!! I think it's worked. Hmmmmmm, might be upside down though. This is one of the entries in the autograph book. I will try and post some more. I Hope this has worked, I clicked on edit and the option to re-size appeared, I couldn't find paint. CHINCH.

Attachments

• P1000484 (800x600).jpg
    P1000484 (800x600).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000485 (800x600).jpg
    P1000485 (800x600).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pat, don't give up on the image posting - it took me ages and then I had a masterclass from Lyn via a private message and it all became clear.

Here's a few more.

Attachments

• P1000486 (800x600) (2).jpg
    P1000486 (800x600) (2).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1000487 (800x600) (2).jpg
    P1000487 (800x600) (2).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1000488 (800x600) (2).jpg
    P1000488 (800x600) (2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 12
  • P1000490 (800x600) (2).jpg
    P1000490 (800x600) (2).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 12
Glad to help - the more you do the easier it gets. There are several ways to resize so you just need to find what works for you.

Have rotated your image Chinch in post #44. Lovely extracts from the autograph book. Thank for persevering and posting them! Viv.

Hi Pat. I use an iPad. So I copied the photo to my iPad pictures, then there's an option to rotate the image in my picture gallery. Not sure this helps you unless you're using an iPad. If not maybe someone can tell you how it's done on a laptop. Been so long since I used a laptop that I can't remember!! Viv.

Hi Viv, thanks for doing this for me. I don't know what I did wrong, not really very competent with all this computer stuff. Good to know there are so many helpful people out there willing to offer their support. Thanks again, CHINCH.

You're welcome. Yes there are lots of willing members who'll help. So just shout if you have a problem. Viv.

Hi Pat, I told you about the verse that I have which is the same as the one in your book and I am posting it for you and the other verse which looks like a similar name and handwriting. I would love to know what you think? Regards, CHINCH.

Attachments

• 076 (800x531).jpg
    076 (800x531).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 077 (800x531).jpg
    077 (800x531).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 14
Yes, the two verses are pretty much the same, just the odd word. Handwriting looks very similar and could be the same - different writing instrument and 18 years apart.

The forum watermark hides the signature on the other verse - what is the name?

Attachments

• IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 11
Put the first line of the verse into Google and you quickly discover, it's a well known verse by William Edward Norris.
It seems the verse is well quoted today, so may have been widely known and used in the past.

Meant to ask in my previous post - what do others think about a handwriting match?

Yes, the two verses are pretty much the same, just the odd word. Handwriting looks very similar and could be the same - different writing instrument and 18 years apart.

The forum watermark hides the signature on the other verse - what is the name?
Hi Pat, the name is, Cecil Harry or Henry Lloyd or Lind? Maybe I'm not on the right track if this is such a widely used verse. It does look like the same writing though, the "p" is the same.I tried to make an appointment to look at the records at the library but they inform me that the records are closed for 100 years, However, I can pay a stranger to look at them for me!! Strange.

Pat, here is the autograph again. Hopefully, you can decipher the name better than me.

Attachments

• 086 (800x531).jpg
    086 (800x531).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15
Back