• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jubbly - Frozen Drink

Ah, the jubblies. Only ever orange-flavoured, round our way at least. I remember the trick was to tear off the top (not always easy) then squeeze the frozen triangle up from the bottom. As Vivienne says, they lasted for ages, but they did become whiter and less flavoursome as time went on!

Regards, Ray T.
Ray, your are so right about them becoming less flavoursome as time went on - particularly if you drank the melted orange juice!
We used to go trainspotting (in the old fashioned sense!) on Snow Hill Station - two or three of us travelling on our own despite ages of 8-10, and for the entire journey back to Handsworth Station would be eagerly anticipating buying frozen Jubblys from the sweet shop at 124 Wattville Road - and they did last a long time even if it was a hot summer's day - as they always are in our memories!

I saw different flavoured Jubblies in Asda today, they are only half the size!
The Vimto ones are very nice.
I used to turn the lump of ice over into the melted juice as it became white.
rosie.

Aah! Frozen Jubblies. After school we used to buy them from the sweet shop on Vicarage Road, Kings Heath, price I think was 4d, get on the 11 outer circle and it would last all the way to the Swan, Yardley. If you couldn't get one there, you crossed the road at the Swan and went into Tabberers on Yardley Road and got them there to consume on the number 60 to home.
As we grew older both of the shops sold us our ration of tobacco in the form of Players Gold Leaf, Du Maurier and if you were trying to cut a dash, Benson and Hedges. I wish I had stuck to Jubblies!
The mention of Calypso brings to mind an incident whereby a school friend went into one of the shops on the bridge over New Street station before it was redeveloped and having seen a Calypso in the window and asked to buy one. Due to the exotic style of font on the pack he couldn't make out the name correctly and asked the shop assistant for a "Galypig".
After that incident they were always called galypigs and never calypsos.
Silly I know but schoolboy humour in those days...................................!

had my first Jubbly at , junior school about 58, cost 3d, I think, (did the milk come from a machine?,) from the paper shop at the top of Castle Square Weoley castle. luvvelly jubberly. they were massive to a kid. Paul

My weekly routine was 1 1/2d bus to the Crossways. A 6d Jubbly from the shop next to the Mayfair. 6d for the Saturday matinee, and 1 1/2d on the 28 back to Short Heath, 1/3 pocket money done.

Trying to think when the Mayfair closed?

Back