• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Microsoft are very helpful when activation problems occur, this page may help.
If you have to use the phone activation you need to be ready with the activation key which you will have to type in using the phone keypad and you will be given a new activation key number to use, it's all automated so as I say you need to be ready with pen and paper.
I've done several of these when I was dabbling at fixing up used computers/laptops.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/950929/get-help-activating-microsoft-windows
Thanks Eric, i will look into that.

Solved it ... I found that the 'Distributed Transaction Coordinator' service was not running. Changed it to 'Automatic', restarted the desktop and I can now set a PIN ... :)

Microsoft are very helpful when activation problems occur, this page may help.
If you have to use the phone activation you need to be ready with the activation key which you will have to type in using the phone keypad and you will be given a new activation key number to use, it's all automated so as I say you need to be ready with pen and paper.
I've done several of these when I was dabbling at fixing up used computers/laptops.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/950929/get-help-activating-microsoft-windows
I`ve just spent a jolly half hour talking to microsoft support in India & to cut a long story short, my product key has expired but they`ll sell me a new one for £50 ( which will also allow me to upgrade to w 10.) I declined their not very generous offer. If my w7 goes belly up on me in 12 days time then i`ll send it back for a refund. I should have taken my wife's advice & bought a new pc in the first place!

Smudger - you can buy W7 keys from ebay for £4.50 or less. The supplier I've used a couple of times (cocotec) has 100% good feedback (and lives in Brum!); see https://tinyurl.com/gud554e This link is for W7 professional - other versions (eg Home) need a different key. On both occasions I have received the key within an hour (both weekdays).

Smudger - you can buy W7 keys from ebay for £4.50 or less. The supplier I've used a couple of times (cocotec) has 100% good feedback (and lives in Brum!); see https://tinyurl.com/gud554e This link is for W7 professional - other versions (eg Home) need a different key. On both occasions I have received the key within an hour (both weekdays).
Thanks jukebox, i have ordered a key, but if it doesn`t work i shall come down to Brum & throw a brick through your window :-} I shall probably send the wife, she can throw further than me!

Thanks jukebox, i have ordered a key, but if it doesn`t work i shall come down to Brum & throw a brick through your window :-} I shall probably send the wife, she can throw further than me!
Thanks again jukebox, paid for key & activated in 10 minutes :-}

Screenshot (74).jpg
Easiest is to open the picture in Paint, click the A symbol in Tools, select the colour you want and then click on the picture where you want to type. If you don't want to keep the typing on the original photo, 'Save As' rather than 'Save'.
Thanks! followed your instructions and herewith first effort. NB never opened "Paint" previously so a whole new world in which to experiment! Comment in white box from MS Web Note

Jim

I`ve just spent a jolly half hour talking to microsoft support in India & to cut a long story short, my product key has expired but they`ll sell me a new one for £50 ( which will also allow me to upgrade to w 10.) I declined their not very generous offer. If my w7 goes belly up on me in 12 days time then i`ll send it back for a refund. I should have taken my wife's advice & bought a new pc in the first place!

A bit surprised you had to talk to India, Microsoft Europe operates from Dublin.

Good you've got it fixed though. I might even have a 7 disk spare in my pile somewhere.

A bit surprised you had to talk to India, Microsoft Europe operates from Dublin.

Good you've got it fixed though. I might even have a 7 disk spare in my pile somewhere.
I was a bit surprised too, especially when she kept trying to sell me stuff. She offered to put a fresh copy of Win7 on my pc for £50 & when i said no, the price came down to £40 & then £30! I should have kept her talking & i might have got it for fiver. Eric, as for your spare Win7 disc, as oldMohawk said, it`s probably tied to the original computer & might not work in another one.

I started downloading W10 yesterday, but it stuck on 99%. I`ve just read that you have to turn off Windows updates before d/loading. Why can`t they tell you that before you start the d/load? Silly me thought that when i started the d/load this morning it would start from 99%. Windows sucks sometimes!

That's strange Smudger,
I downloaded W10 on Saturday and the January updates came in after installation as they normally do.
My newest desktop computer with the PIN problem was bought by me, I'm the only user and therefore it's Administrator, but W10 would not let me delete a system file to reinstate the PIN option. I had to find the 'hidden' Administrator and then claim ownership of the file and now have a second entity on my lock screen which can log in to MY computer.
:)

oldMohawk, you certainly know your way round a computer. As for me, i just know the basics which usually suffices. There is one thing puzzling me. I did a system image which supposedly copies the entire contents of the computer, which i my case was almost 40gb, yet it said task completed after only 4 dvd`s which doesn`t equate to the total content of my computer? As for your pin option, is that the same as a master password which i use?

It is the password I use to log in to my computers since I had XP and Win 7 but with W10 there is an option to use a PIN.
I have a 2 year old W10 laptop and I can have a PIN on it.
I have an old W10 laptop with a broken screen (shares the kitchen telly for a screen) but I can have a PIN on it.
I have a 6 months old desktop came with W10 but it won't let be have a PIN but will let me log on with an image.
I'm posting this with a nice sensible iPad which just works with no fuss ! ... :D

oldMohawk, I envy your know how on PC,'s, like smudger I have a limited knowledge but it's enough for my needs, bought myself a book 'Windows 10 for Seniors for Dummies' to try and increase my PC knowledge but gained very little, its to technical in content for me, I think after a certain age it becomes harder to absorb new techniques, but I cope with on line banking (very useful), operating our Forum, spend hours on You Tube and find Google very useful, so am reasonably happy, and you have sorted a few problems out for me which I appreciate. Eric

Microsoft offered me their new Spring 2017 Windows 10 Creaters Update so I said ok and 1hr 20mins later I had got it. OS Build 15063.13 Everything works and I notice the 'Paint' app can now work in 3D if required.
It's got a 'nightlight' which takes some blue out of the screen before you go to bed !

Back