• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

The view of the museum from Level 9 at the Library of Birmingham, now that the "old" 1974 Central Library is completely gone.

I think they have already been demolished Viv! Only the ones around the Chamberlain Memorial seem to be left (or what's left of them).

I went in to see the exhibition when I was in Brum just after Christmas - thought it was excellent! The way he had matched the figures with the art work - clever idea.
They have some very good exhibitions at the Gas and Water Halls which are either free or at a very reasonable cost.
The cost of getting into some of the special main gallery exhibitions here in London is very expensive, around the £15 mark.

Last edited:
I recall that the Wellcome Collection in London (on the Euston Road) was free. But if you wanted to go to any of their exhibitions you'd have to pay for them. Although there was one free thing there that you couldn't take photos of (Bedlam I think).

I often visit the Wellcome Collection in Euston, I think their exhibitions are always free, they have some excellent ones too.
I don't know the rules about photography as I've never taken any photos.

Nice photos!
It may be a copyright issue with taking photographs in some of the special exhibitions as they do borrow items from other galleries and private collections.

I have been in Water Hall - if I remember correctly it's like Gas Hall.
The old Birmingham Utilities certainly had impressive buildings!

Will definitely try and get to see it if I'm in Brum at the right time.

Still plenty of time before this view disappears again. From level 9 at the Library of Birmingham.

image.jpeg
Going back to the 1960s, I think this view looks to have been taken from the section of Edmund Street that no longer exists. The old (Victorian) Central library is centre right, then nearest right is the Hope and Anchor pub/restaurant. Viv.

Viv, how I hate those words 'no longer exists', they seem to apply to everything in Birmingham these days. That aside, your post #76 reminded me that I am always getting confused about where the old register office used to be. I know it was near Chamberlain Square but I've never been able to pinpoint it.

Back