• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Speedway

07 December 2014 (2).jpg07 December 2014 (2)  8.jpg
cyril taft was my dad,but got no info on his speedway,
could you let me know if you find anything on this/photos,thanks
Your dad and uncle and my father rode on the speedway ( Dirt Track ) to togther with the Parker brothers, I think I can remember them having a car showroom by the Collage Arms Pub.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!speedway.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!speedway.jpgHere are a couple of bits about the Birmingham Bulldogs who used to race at Hall Green until 1938 .

Curiously enough I never heard about the Hall Green events. I do, however, remember some Sunday afternoon 'grass track' events close to the The Aqueduct at Shirley. My father took me there a few times. He was not a motorcyclist, nor afficionado, neither was I, but it all seemed good fun at the time.

I did manage to get acrros the City to Perry Barr a few times. It was. however, a long treck - two diffent bus journeys for a start - from due south of the City. I recall - I do believe it is still in my nostrils - is the smell of the scorching of the cinders. :biggrin:

You've jogged my memory, Radiorails !

I remember not long after the end of the war, my dad taking me to watch grass track racing in a field in the area you mention, I would've described it as over the "Stiles" though.

I still like the smell of two-stroke exhaust.

A\strong possibility that we were both there at the same time then Maypolebaz. I don't remember the stiles but then it was over sixty years ago and I haven't been in that area since 1954! I was impressed with the sidecar races: I always expected some poor devil to fall out! :biggrin:

View attachment 95340View attachment 95341 Your dad and uncle and my father rode on the speedway ( Dirt Track ) to togther with the Parker brothers, I think I can remember them having a car showroom by the Collage Arms Pub.
View attachment 95340View attachment 95341 Your dad and uncle and my father rode on the speedway ( Dirt Track ) to togther with the Parker brothers, I think I can remember them having a car showroom by the Collage Arms Pub.
Hi Louis
Are you called ham man because you are a radio ham?

Wow, a speedway thread! I would go to Perry Barr every Saturday night to see the "Brummies"never missed a match. My dad was a motor bike nut! He worked for Geoff Bennett, remember him? He did the work on Geoff's speedway bike. My Dad on Geoff Bennett's bike.jpg My Dad on Geoff Bennett's bike.jpg

thanks dave...must be a bit further down from the shop front then..
Yes, it's at the end of the property. I did have a couple of pictures of the shop front, including the signs of both E.V.C Hardy & Geoff Bennett. I wish I could find them. When you emigrate, it really becomes difficult to locate many of your memories. I do recall going to Eric's home once. I've no idea where it was, but it was out in the country, at least it was country at that time. I'ts quite conceivable that I met your late husband at some point.
Dave A

Welcome to Perry Barr - the image of a greyhound is missing. It last shows up on Google Maps Street View in 2015. Gone by 2017.

Early 70's I used to go to see the Brummies each week before I moved to Bournemouth/Poole area in 1975.

I went to see Poole speedway and was hooked right in the heart and have been a big Poole speedway fan ever since.

That doesn't stop me though for always looking out for the Brummie's results and I was very pleased when speedway returned to Perry Barr.

Back