• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

The artist Frederick Henry Henshaw (1807-1891) lived in Green Lane, Small Heath from 1840 until 1891. Inspired by Constable, he often painted English countryside which was being taken over by the development of industry and modern farming.

He joined the Birmingham Society of Arts when he was nineteen in 1826 and became honorary secretary of the society from 1842-1847 He later became honorary treasurer and a trustee until the end of his life in 1891.

The only example I could find of his work with a Birmingham theme is this painting of a gate in Yardley.

Also below is an image of his cottage in Green Lane and a CDV of the man himself in 1889, just three years before he died. Viv.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg

David, I don't think you are breaking copyright laws by displaying a purchased print, after all you are displaying it hanging on your wall, as long as there is no financial gain I do not think there is a problem. I have one or two prints and originals which I have displayed on the forum besides my own work. Must admit copyright law is a 'grey' area' Incidently I have a book of water colours by his Son Arthur Lockwood RWS RBA RBSA which illustrates some of his father's work and Arthurs son Paul, Arthurs work is predominantly industrial scenes. Eric

Last edited:
Following Eric (Cookie's) Advice I will post a copy of the picture. As I mentioned I think, looking at the Rowley Hills or possibly the Clent Hills, this is the Golden Orchard Colliery, closed 1954
Coal Mine at Halesowen.jpg Copyright Estate of F T Lockwood

Simple, yet a wonderful composition. Love the colours he chose. I could happily hang that in my house (assuming I could find the space). Have attached an example of his Son's Arthurs work showing his similar style and palette of Lower Trinity St Birmingham 1989. EricLower Trinity Street 1989.jpg

Following Eric (Cookie's) Advice I will post a copy of the picture. As I mentioned I think, looking at the Rowley Hills or possibly the Clent Hills, this is the Golden Orchard Colliery, closed 1954
View attachment 111673 Copyright Estate of F T Lockwood

Having an interest in coal mining accidents the Colliery rang a bell for me. Just for the record it seems to have been opened by Messrs Hingley and Sons in 1909/10. It was described as Coombs Wood or Coombs Holloway, Halesowen.

fullsizeoutput_d2f.jpeg
Golden Orchard Colliery, also known as Coombs Wood Colliery on the 1914 OS Map

Last edited:
There is a street of modern houses called Golden Orchard off Coombs Road. I went to have a look this afternoon. I could not see the hills in the picture because of the houses. I have a recollection of standing on Makro's car park about 30 years ago and looking up the hill and seeing colliery winding gear somewhere near Sommers Forge Works..

View attachment 111702
Golden Orchard Colliery, also known as Coombs Wood Colliery on the 1914 OS Map

Pedrocut, The present road called Golden Orchard would be off the top of the extract of the map that you have shown. I am also a little puzzled by the area name 'Cakemore' as I thought this area was called 'Hill' and that 'Cakemore' was further over to the east. I know that there is confusion because the whole area is now known as 'Hill and Cakemore' but they used to be two separate civil parishes in Halesowen Rural District Council. David

David, I don't think you are breaking copyright laws by displaying a purchased print, after all you are displaying it hanging on your wall, as long as there is no financial gain I do not think there is a problem. I have one or two prints and originals which I have displayed on the forum besides my own work. Must admit copyright law is a 'grey' area' Incidently I have a book of water colours by his Son Arthur Lockwood RWS RBA RBSA which illustrates some of his father's work and Arthurs son Paul, Arthurs work is predominantly industrial scenes. Eric
Simple, yet a wonderful composition. Love the colours he chose. I could happily hang that in my house (assuming I could find the space). Have attached an example of his Son's Arthurs work showing his similar style and palette of Lower Trinity St Birmingham 1989. EricView attachment 111701

Came across the book of lovely watercolours "Change in the Midlands" by Arthur Lockwood in the Library. Over 100 paintings of many lost industrial landscapes, well worth a look. A bit about Arthur at...

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/lifestyle/arthur-lockwoods-urban-industrial-watercolours-5803959

Pedrocut, My book is titled 'Arthur Lockwood, Urban and Industrial Watercolours of Birmingham and the Black Country' (rather a longwinded title !), it was a valued gift from an ex-member who I completed some paintings for, although it consists mainly of Arthurs work, there are some of Frank his Father and some of his Son Paul (which appears to be so called 'modern art' not my cup of tea). Eric

Hi Harborne: I first came across A. Tarlington's paintings a few years ago when three or four of them appeared in a special section of the Birmingham Mail. I cut them out and saved them but I am not sure where they are today. I too liked his style and hadn't seen hardly any
artists rendering of Birmingham scenes. There doesn't appear to be much info on line re A. Tarlington but I did find these pictures which were for sale on EBay last year: I would have purchased them had I known about them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=300601815956&nma=true&rt=nc&si=4qQ/Ifb1oPfQND03gcECxjvyLRk=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I have 2 prints of A. Tarlington that were rescued from the old Children's hospital when it was closed back in the 70's - these prints were given to my mother who worked there at the time and have been with her for the last 40 years. I'd quite like to donate them to somewhere where they will once again be displayed in a prominent place to be enjoyed by others once more. Any suggestions would be welcome....

This David Cox painting is a portrayal of a boat building dockyard at Birmingham. Any ideas of where it might have been? Viv.

image.jpeg

Looking at a few sites that list David Cox’s picture, the title seems to be.....Boat Building - Dockyard at Birmingham. Most say painted mid to late 1800s, but as he died in 1859 it would be more likely to be mid 1800’s.

I have a feeling that, as Cox has been specific in the title, the dockyard would be somewhere in Birmingham.

IMG_1920.jpg

The OS Map surveyed around 1885 shows boat building yards on the towpath of the canal loop just right of centre.

Deritend is mentioned as his birthplace. The water does look more like a river than canal to me.https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/david-cox-117
There some nice painting of Old Birmingham here. Those living nearby I guess can see the originals. I presume the web site details were written by someone from another country, note the American style date and the mis-spelling of his place of death. Not a good thing considering the place is a suburb of the city where the art gallery is located!.
https://www.bmagic.org.uk/people/David+Cox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cox_(artist)

Back