• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canning & Co & Electroplating

TNT

proper brummie kid
Hi all I am in the same boat just joined the group and cannot find thread W Canning & Co.
Does anyone know what happened to it.
Many Thanks Norman.

There was a thread on Cannings but it does seem to be missing. This from the Internet:
[h=3]W. Cannings & Co. - Page 6 - Birmingham History Forum
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
[/h]birminghamhistory.co.uk › ... › History & Nostalgia › Factories & Offices

Sep 23, 2009 - 15 posts - ‎8 authors
Is there anyone out there that worked at Cannings on Gt Hampton St. I started work there when I was 14 that was in 1941 and left in 1953.

Keith.

Thanks for answer but I have done what you say and thread is still not to be found it has been removed ?

Rgds Norman

PoJo, basically copyright is held by the photographer or his Estate up to 70 years after is demise, this also applies to Artists. I am an amateur watercolourist and noticed copies of one of my paintings so checked on copyright rulings. I should add I do not care who copies my work but it is nice to be asked. Eric

And it is closed which means you can't add to it. And my question about who owns copyright on my contributions also seems to have been deleted.
PoJo

Pojo

No one owns copyright on any contribution that you make as long as it's all your own work. When you post to a forum you retain ownership of anything you post, but in making that post you give the forum owners the right to use that post in any way that they may care to.

You will see that elsewhere on the forum that Jim has stated that this thread was removed because of copyright complaints received, he also says that it will be reinstated once these issues have been remedied. If your posts are all your own work then I have no doubt that they will be included or allowed in this new thread.

Phil.

I am a very newbie to this forum, so please excuse any blunders I may make, but surely when I post to the forum there is only 2 things that can happen either the post is accepted or declined.
Also mention of the owners of the forum is made, is it prudent to ask who the owners are.

Rgds Norman

Phil.

I am a very newbie to this forum, so please excuse any blunders I may make, but surely when I post to the forum there is only 2 things that can happen either the post is accepted or declined.
Also mention of the owners of the forum is made, is it prudent to ask who the owners are.

Rgds Norman

Norman

All threads on this forum that fall within the rules of the forum are accepted, if after posting one of the moderators raises a question concerning this aspect of your post you may be asked to edit, alter or remove part or all of that post. Obviously as I have previously stated you are unable to remove a post completely, but any moderator would be willing to oblige you.

The owner of this forum has the user name Postie, I'm sure if you message him he will inform you of what part of his personal details he wishes to be made public.

I hope this answers your questions.

Phil, I understand your reply but I am puzzled as to what could have been the problem with the "Canning" thread as I have followed it throughout and cannot recall anything that could fall foul of someone such as to warrant the thread's removal. Reading other threads, I feel that many should qualify for removal if the delightful "Canning" one remains off screen. Does the whole thread realy have to disappear? My sympathies to TNT and PoJo. Regards. willey

willey

I know very little about this thread as although I probably did have a look at the thread I don't remember doing so. So I only know as much about this thread as Postie has written elsewhere. From what he has said I don't think all the thread was in contravention of the copyright regulations, but only parts of it. Obviously Postie thought that the best way of dealing with it was to remove the thread whilst he deleted the contentious parts of it. As Postie is the one who would be sued if it came to that then I think that it is entirely right that he decides how the matter is dealt with.

Phil

Thank you for your reply, I in my post, I left out an important word, in Posties mail he said the previous owners the question I wanted to ask was who were the previous owners.
If I am asking too delicate a question please tell me to mind my own business and I will understand, but I am sure you will understand for people who spent their working lives at the company it does seem very strange.
Rgds Norman

Sometimes when a copyright issue crops up it is possible to remove just the bits of the thread and leave the rest, however in some cases when parts are removed it leads to the original thread to become disjointed and makes no sense when reading it.
In this instance that is what happened with the Canning thread, so I will start the topic again, when I get some time to spare, and you can join in with your experience and stories of your time there.
As for the previous owners, I have no wish or intend to comment on them.
Thank you for your interest and look forward to your contribution to the new thread...

A book from 1921, published by Canning on Electroplating and associated processes, including some photos inside the works (though these are not well reproduced) is now available to read or download at: https://ia801508.us.archive.org/33/items/in.ernet.dli.2015.272087/2015.272087.Handbook-On.pdf
They had a publication similar to this available when I worked in Engineering Sales, what was interesting is that in 1957 onwards, we were still getting requests for belts for the old belt drive dynamos and brushes for the rotors for units as old as No 3. Every dynamo/generator/motor supplied by the company was recorded in a book in the engineering sales office, beautifully written in copper plate hand for m/c no 1 and for quite a while thereafter. Another interesting point is that Nivo salts mentioned in the 1921 book were still around in 1960.
Bob

Onceabrummie - Did you have any dealings with the Drawing Office? Your name has a familiar ring to it. Regards. willey

Back