• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Porchester Street

hi marie i am still a little confused...you can only send a private message to another member..is arthur a member of this forum??..as far as i can see your private contact details are not showing now on open forum..private conversations are just that..not even the owner of the forum has access to them

lyn

Last edited:
and another...porchester st/furnace lane
The owner of the shop was her name Jessie. My mom took me and my younger sister there for her to look after us, while she took my brother to the hospital as he fell down the cellar and needed stitches bad accident. Memories are flowing back.

jackie have you seen the photos on post 4...photo 1 shows houses no 64 to 74 so your house at no 60 must just be out of shot..click on them to enlarge..

lyn

hi marie i am still a little confused...you can only send a private message to another member..is arthur a member of this forum??..as far as i can see your private contact details are not showing now on open forum..private conversations are just that..not even the owner of the forum has access to them

lyn
hi lyn i closed the conversation so it has been took off thank you

hi marie they had to drag our nan out of paddington st...she just did not want to leave having lived in the street for the best part of 60 years

lyn

hi marie they had to drag our nan out of paddington st...she just did not want to leave having lived in the street for the best part of 60 years

lyn
bet that was scary for her people do not realize the damage they do to people, living some where that long

marie

yes marie nan was not happy at all..paddington st played a big part in my family history...we had a lot of moms side of the family living in that street plus our mom was born there as was myself and my brother...

lyn

bet that was scary for her people do not realize the damage they do to people, living some where that long

marie
Hi Marie, lovely to meet you. Living in one house that long. Where did you move to at the age of 12 yrs. My sister Ann was 10 yrs, she use remember the Doodies and the Fishers. I played with Christine Fisher. I am looking for a post but being new I can't find it.

Hi Lyn, can you tell me was there a church or a Salvation Army on the st, only I saw a lot of nuns. My sisters attended the Brownie's, did they held it there? Do you know the name of the mixed race children who lived next to us no 58. The mothers name was Jean. I am really enjoying yours and Marie's stories, very funny, bringing back memories.

Hi Lyn,
I am proud, I have finally found the only one photo I have of me and my mother, up the back to back of
60 Porchester Street. I hope Michael Ingram shows it his sister Olive, I'm hoping it will jog her memory, as it will make my day. I remember the back to back, I found a gentleman in the wash house sleeping in the sink area. I ran to tell my mom. I found it fascinating holding the washing when my mother use to use the mangle, came out all flattened, and those cold toilets that we all shared, the wall at the end, if you looked over was the entry to furnace lane and Alma St School opposite.

Attachments

• mom&jac.jpg
    mom&jac.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 70
oh jackie that is a lovely photo..so pleased that you found it..it must be so precious to you...hope you dont mind if posted it on our pic restoration thread as we have some very clever members on here who could take the creases out and tidy it up for you ...i will then repost it on this thread for you

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I would be happy for your experts to do that, thank you. Thanks Mikejee on how to upload photo. I have a birth certificate with of the address on or is that too personal as proof. Can you tell me about electrol roll, only I have seen one on the forum and we are not on it. Did they update them every few years. We didn't move in until 1960. Thanks Lyn

Jackie

ok jackie have asked for help restoring the photo..i see no reason why you cant post the birth cert if you wish to do so...the online electoral rolls only go up to 1955 on ancestry although i think there could be another site where they go up to 1965 but not sure which one it is and you do have to pay to join..other than that you will need to visit the main library in the city centre to access later e rolls...e rolls just as they are now were updated every year..

lyn

ok jackie have asked for help restoring the photo..i see no reason why you cant post the birth cert if you wish to do so...the online electoral rolls only go up to 1955 on ancestry although i think there could be another site where they go up to 1965 but not sure which one it is and you do have to pay to join..other than that you will need to visit the main library in the city centre to access later e rolls...e rolls just as they are now were updated every year..

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I been told not to, its too personal due to data protection, I don't know any another way. Thanks for the info on electoral rolls. I have another photo of my grandfather, he was in the forces but I don't have much info, I will have to ask for more details. Would I be able to put it on under the National Services thread.

Jackie

here you go jackie i think this is a tad better for you...thanks to morturn for his help

mom&jacv3 restored.jpg

you are spoilt for choice jackie another member has had a go for you...many thanks to dennis

mom&jacv3 restored.jpg

jackie dennis gave it a little colour as well...ps not to worry re not posting your birth cert i should have thought about the data protection:rolleyes:

mom&jacColour.jpg

Last edited:
jackie its a lovely photo of you and your mom...i think we all tend to get a little emotional with family photos...give me a min and i will edit your last post and turn the cert around for you

lyn

sorry jackie i have turned the cert round on my pc but its still posting the wrong way round:rolleyes: have to go out soon will have another go later unless one of our other members can help

lyn

Jackie
The site for electoral rolls (and other things) is https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/. this goes up to 1965. If you have credits with it (minimum purchase £5 and they have to be used within 6 months)you can search electoral rolls by name (or two names together), or be street (remembering to put it in full , street as street not st, and road not rd) without using any of your credits . If you wanrt to see a scan of the whole page then you use your credits. People are on the electoral roll if they are eligable to vote. Thus someone born in 1960 would not appear in them till 1981. In 1965 the people registered at no 60 are just allan & ann, with Matilda Finlan in the house back of no 60

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
Thanks for all your efforts, very happy and appreciated all you done.
Thank you Pjmburns for turning the certificate, thanks also Mikejee for the update on e rolls. My father is Allan and mother Anastasia was known as Ann for short. I should of shown the birth certificate but was concerned with the date protection.

Thanks
Jackie

hi jackie and everyone from porchester st....keep your eyes on this thread next weds/thurs...hopefully i will have about 25 photos to post taken between 1960 and 1968 fingers and toes crossed :)

lyn

I have spoken to my sister Olive. It didn't ring any bells for her. But, she did say that the other Olive she knew then was Olive Evans who lived at the Summer Lane end of Geach Street.

totally disappointed folks...went to the library today having made an appointment to view 25 photos of porchester st...turns out all that there was in the box was the index card...many photos were stolen from the library some years back now and obviously the porchester st ones were taken:( sorry folks

lyn

That's terrible Lyn. Bet it was by someone who wasn't really interested , but hoped to sell them

Back