• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Silvermere Secondary Modern

N

Neville Philpott

I have heard that my old school, Silvermere Secondary, is scheduled for demolition.

I understand that the area is being re-developed for housing, has it already gone or is it still standing?

thank you..

Hi neville, I have heard the same. The school now stands empty after social services left early last year. I attended from 1963 untill 1967.

Regards Robert.

During a visit to Birmingham last week i decided to go and take some photographs of my old school hopefully before the bulldozers got there.

As it turned out i was too late and there was little or nothing left except piles of rubble. Very sad sight...

Left Silvermere 1962 - My last classroom was on first floor to left of the gable. The gable was a stockroom for stationary and we were responsible for issuing and stock control. There was also he added benefit, that a ladder within the room, could be propped against the window and, using a telescope from the top of the ladder, could be had a very good view of Elmdon Airport. As aircraft enthusiasts, it was well used.

Hi Neville- We were in the same class at Silvermere. My name was then Barbara Hayfield. I now live in Queensland Australia and have so for 37 yrs. Would love to correspond if you want. My name is now Barbara Owen.

Pictures of the old School site

Attachments

• DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 29
Hi Neville- We were in the same class at Silvermere. My name was then Barbara Hayfield. I now live in Queensland Australia and have so for 37 yrs. Would love to correspond if you want. My name is now Barbara Owen.
Are you by any chance Charlie Hayfields sister, Charlie was in my class at Silvermere..!!

IMG_0693.JPG The School first team, back (L to R) First left Louis Ryan - Mr Sezall - 4th Me Goalkeeper - 5th Keith Gough - Front Row (L to R) Third in Micky Seal then Kenny Pollard. Anyone can add any more names that would be great. Season 1963 - 1964. Think the location is just to the left of the gable entrance.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 42
View attachment 109047 The School first team, back (L to R) First left Louis Ryan - Mr Sezall - 4th Me Goalkeeper - 5th Keith Gough - Front Row (L to R) Third in Micky Seal then Kenny Pollard. Anyone can add any more names that would be great. Season 1963 - 1964. Think the location is just to the left of the gable entrance.
Liked the photo. I still have two or three class photos. Can't remember if they were silvermere or mapledean.

Hi Allen seem to remember Fred Hares was a radio operator in Lancasters so the story goes, anyone add any information to that. Took us for Science lessons in the room just up from the woodwork room that was down a corridor off the main entrance. What class were you in..?

Gordon is in the School photo and I also played with him for Sheldene FC. Run by Peter Shipways mum. Do you know what happened to Gordon..!

Yes i remember Mr Hare or was it Haire?

Maybe we should start a list of teachers we can remember.

Just along the corridor, Mr Cullen for woodwork, not my favourite subject i might add.

Yes i remember Mr Hare or was it Haire?

Maybe we should start a list of teachers we can remember.

Just along the corridor, Mr Cullen for woodwork, not my favourite subject i might add.
Miss Owen. Music teacher.
Mr Jones. Head teacher.
Some of them had their favourite weapons. Fred hare. Pipe. Maths teacher ruler. pe teacher end of climbing rope. Or size 12 pump.

Memory not that good any more. But I remember John brewer. Derek webb. Stephen Hughes.?????? Polard. Gordon grovener rings a bell but I can't place him. Do you know any of these. I know neville Philpott but can't remember if he was in my class.

Back