• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Demolished Or Closed Pubs Of The Inner Ring Road

Kev of Brum

Brummie babby
I am currently trying to create a map of every pub that has ever been in Birmingham's inner ring road that has been demolished or closed. And I need help to make sure the locations of the pubs are correct and the names of the pubs are correct. Any help on this will be great.pubs map for Forum.jpg pubs list for forum.jpg

hi kev and welcome...well you have certainly come to the right place for help..this could keep some of our members busy for s while..i will also have a go when time permits..your list just goes to prove how many pubs we have lost in just this area:(..i did have a list of pubs and their locations from the 1930s some of which may cover your map..if it would help i will try and find it and post it for you to cross reference ??

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Kev of Brum,

I found Joseph McKenna's 'Central Birmingham Pubs' Volumes I & II really helpful when I was looking for boxing venues in the city.

Here is a list of Birmingham pubs. I don't know any dates though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 26
Thank you all for your help. And it is a shame so many pubs have gone because they are so much a part of the Cities history and they should never be forgotten.

totally agree with you kev pubs played a massive part in our social history...here is that list i mentioned..it maybe of some use to youpubs 1930s.jpg

lyn

Yes mate, Any pub from any year as long as it is no longer open or has been demolished.

In 1879 Eleizer Edwards reminisced about the "Old Taverns of Birmingham" and wrote a book. It may be available on Google Play or can be accessed via the British Library App for 19C books.

Some of those mentioned in the chapters were...

The Minerva...Peck Lane/Queen Street
The Eagle (and Ball)....Colmore St
The Woolpack...Moor St
Cooke's in the Cherry Orchard... Cherry St
Sea Horse...Buck St
Greyhound...Navigation St
Acorn Temple.....Temple Street
Union...Cherry St
Woolpack....St Martins Lane
Hen and Chickens....New St
Red Lion.....Church St
The Cross Pistols...Slaney St

The are quite a few others mentioned in passing

pubs map for forum 1st update.jpg pubs list for forum update 1.jpg
1st update on the Pubs map & Pubs list thanks to the help of all the information I received from you all on the forum so far. More updates will be coming soon.

Last edited:
thanks kev...quite a challenge you have taken on...look forward to more updates as and when

lyn

Back