• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1294.jpg

Can't resist the old tongue twister...He rattles his bottles in Accles and Pollock's yard.

Have not heard that tongue twister before. I do remember the old Accles & Pollock's advertisement which listed some (but not the rude ones) misspellings of their name on letters received. There is also the local story about how a foreign competitor sent them a tube claiming to be the thinnest tube in the world and Accles sent it back with another one inside.

Have just studied the postmark on the envelope in the Accles & Pollock advert that I put in post 297. It advertises the British Industries Fair which took place in both Birmingham and London for two weeks each year in the period between 1920 and 1960. The BIF was the most visited attraction in the country in many years. The site of the BIF became the Castle Vale Housing Estate and the NEC was built to replace it, opening in 1966. It was because of the BIF that Birmingham City FC had automatic entry to the European Fairs Cup which was replaced by the UEFA cup. Birmingham were the losing finalists in both 1960 and 1961

The Velocette was an almost silent motor bike & caught many a mis-behaving teenager by surprise ( I didn`t mean to do it, honestly officer ) Well that was my excuse!
You must be referring to the LE, it was the quiet Velocette because it was watercooled. Ironically, it was used by the police force for local patrols, we used to call them "Noddy Bikes"
Dave A

Considering the present sensible view on smoking, the wreath is very appropriate, though, I suspect, unintentionally so

Remember Christmas cigarette gift packs. It was almost a staple gift on many Christmas shopping lists, along with hankies, Cologne and bath salts. Viv.

IMG_1309.jpg IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1310.jpg IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg IMG_1314.jpg Some adverts for cars...

1960 Austin Cambridge
1958 A35
1960 Morris Minor
(1963 Lucas)
1964 Austin A60
1954 Rover

Doesn't the Rover look such a classic when compared with the BMC offerings. Mind we have to remember the price difference.

A very nice poster for Whitstable but 5 miles further along the Kent coast, at Herne Bay, is even better. Dave

Attachments

• 9f47a94f8648ace5c241190fde572c6b.jpg
    9f47a94f8648ace5c241190fde572c6b.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 29
  • herne-bay-kent_-british-railway-vintage-travel-poster_-1961-1038-p.jpg
    herne-bay-kent_-british-railway-vintage-travel-poster_-1961-1038-p.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 29
Slightly similar advertiser's name to the above post (#318) but I guess most people could distinguish between a motor car and a pair of socks. A 1951 advert for Wolsey socks below. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020808 (2).JPG
    P1020808 (2).JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 14
There was a toll house on The Crescent at the entrance to Crescent wharf for vehicles using the wharf. shown in red on map.

map c1889 showing toll house at enratnce to Crescent wharf.jpg

The poster seems to be advertising "An Exhibition of Soviet Russian Education". Why would it be advertised on the Crescent in the 1930s? Interesting. Viv.

In the late 1920s and early 1930s unemployment was high and people started to look at the political system in Soviet Russia and members of the British Communist Party probably started to advertise the 'good points' of their system. There were probably reasons known only to themselves why they would put a poster on the Toll House.

There were frequent political meetings in the 1930's. Their popularity waned in the late 1930's, when most folks could see which way the wind was blowing. They were generally either far right or far left in the political spectrum and it was not unknown for brawls between the two sides. My father once witnessed such as brawl in the Bull Ring when a faction tried to break up a Mosley led meeting.
The poster seems to be advertising "An Exhibition of Soviet Russian Education". Why would it be advertised on the Crescent in the 1930s? Interesting. Viv.

There were frequent political meetings in the 1930's. Their popularity waned in the late 1930's, when most folks could see which way the wind was blowing. They were generally either far right or far left in the political spectrum and it was not unknown for brawls between the two sides. My father once witnessed such as brawl in the Bull Ring when a faction tried to break up a Mosley led meeting.
The Bull Ring in 1931 and crowds stand around people making a speeches which could have been about politics or maybe about religion. Some diamond shaped adverts on that van parked near the meetings.
BullRingMeeting1931.JPG
'britainfromabove'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back