• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where/what Is This Building?

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This image is on sale on eBay. It's labelled as the Town Hall. But it definitely isn't the Town Hall. I did wonder if it was the Central Methodist Hall on Corporation Steeet but I'm not sure it's that either.

Or maybe it's not a Birmingham building. Anyone recognise it? Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv

I don't think it's the Central Methodist Hall either

Attachments

• CMH.jpg
    CMH.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 30
  • CMH2.jpg
    CMH2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 29
Yes its in brum and i am amanoyed with myself because as god is my judge i recall seeing this in a book afew days ago
along with a another picture setting and i was in two minds to put it up
but also i know years ago it was here before being Hacked off
when i seen vivs pic tonight asking the question what or where i said bingo i sen the book the other night late it was
and i thought i would be clever and be the first to answer the question because i thought Phil might beat me to it
so i dashed up stairs and pulled quite afew out in one go my old dutchess was giving out me making the mess and the noise
so i thought i will give up for now and wait whom gets right
and i think its in of one of carl chinns book early days back cover as well
best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;

Can't find a picture to confirm but could it be the Friends Institute on the Moseley Road. I used to go to school speech days there and it looks familiar.

Not there either I fear devonjim, though I definitely think it a Methodist or Friends meeting hall

Attachments

• Friends Institute.jpg
    Friends Institute.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 22
Not there either I fear devonjim, though I definitely think it a Methodist or Friends meeting hall
The organ console, if that's the right term was far higher up at Moseley Road and your picture shows a different style of architecture.

Pity there was not more of the text on the banners showing. The one on the right seems to say
'Whole Armour of God' !
words1.jpg

The organ console, if that's the right term was far higher up at Moseley Road and your picture shows a different style of architecture.

Well devonjim as you can see it's plainly titled Moseley Rd friends Institute. I presume you did mean the one next to Hawleys Bakery and not the one by Brighton Rd?

Phil, I was agreeing with you that it was not the friends institute! Not aware of two such buildings. The one I knew was on the left walking towards Moseley from town. Not far from the baths and fire station.

devonjim

The photo of the interior that I posted was this one (see pic) that was more or less opposite Leopold Street. The one you are referring to must be the one near Brighton Road and adjacent to the old tram depot I'll see if I can find a photo of the interior.

Highgate Moseley Rd Friends Institute.jpg

Sorry about the confusion, it was about 60 years ago! I seem to think we walked up from Camp Hill, so that would point to the one in #14. I thought it was referred to as the Friends Institute. Bottom line it's not the one in Viv14's original post.

Back