• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clocks

Most problems with pendulum clocks not working is because the beat is not correctly set.

Listen to the clock working, there should be an even interval between each tick…. tock…. tick…. tock. If the clock is doing a tick.tock……tick.tock…… the lift one side of the clock, so it sounds even.

Some clocks do have a self-setting beat, you should give the pendulum a big swing when you start it going, then it will settle down.

You can also try cleaning some of the cog bearing points with lighter fuel.

Hi all we have a very old pen
dulem clock which my wife winds up and will not let me near (to heavy handed)and when we have our meals in the dining room where the clock lives she sometimes says that clock sounds wrong for all the reasons Morton states. I find that when I take it down to decorate a small boat level to check everything is level and upright usually does the trick .Acklam19

My dad's pendulum clock (from about 1920) which I have here kept stopping, I took the works out and a close examination showed that the brass around one of the gear spindles was worn oval.
I got it fixed by a guy in Monmouth, he re-bushed the hole, unfortunately he's now retired so if it fails again I'm going to be like you searching for another fixer.
Whatever, it's not a cheap fix, I think I paid £35 about eight years ago.

You won't believe how much people are asking -one person said 1400 pounds another 400 and one company charges 40 call out. Clock was bought for 60 pounds so it wasn't worth it. But after a lot of playing around I managed to get it going and all chimes and time is spot on at the moment -been 3 days fingers crossed. How often do you need to wind these up?I fully wound all three keys on the first day and it's still going.thank you all for your replies

Last edited:
If yours is like mine there's an adjustment screw on the bottom of the pendulum (shortens or lengthens it), trial and error adjustment of the pendulum length will get it to keep proper time although they are never going to match digital clocks for accuracy.

My 3 key clock as an 8 day movement which I wind once a week (making sure not to overwind), bought it from Hinds 8 years ago. Unlike the other Eric I like the chimes, one of the reasons I purchased the clock, living by myself it makes the house seem less empty, it is a very good time keeper after adjusting the screw on the pendulum a few times till I got it right. Eric

Bhatti, mine is hour strike left, movement centre and chimes right, I should think they are all the same, to make sure don't wind the left key hole and see which function fail to operate, that is how I sussed it out. Eric

021.jpg 021.jpg 006.JPG 004.JPG

Heres my clock in my mancafe frontroom I stopped the clock so you can see the vertical marker I still have had to use a plumb line to get it right I pulled this clock out of wifes family home in Liepzig 2 days after the wall came down.

One of the clocks on the ruins of St Thomas's Church in the Peace Garden, seen from Holloway Head (the time was wrong)

hi people i have made the ultimate mistake-i wound the clock tight today and winding slipped. it still winds a little but very light.is something broken or just slipped?i did not look at it yet before asking question.wonder if any has similar experience and if its easy to fix.thanks

Are you sure that's New Street in 1968, as by then the concrete station was completed Viv. So might be earlier.

Good point. It must have been incorrectly labelled - from a book called 'Railscene' by Douglas Doherty. It's says its New Street (Midland side) 12 July 1968. Viv.

Looking at a photo on https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_str423.htm it says
Looking towards Wolverhampton along New Street station's Platform 3 with on the right train indicator boards and clocks standing on Platform 2. The indicator boards pointed in the direction of where the train would come to rest whilst one of the two clocks would give the trains arrival time and the other its departure time.
but the indicator clocks in the pic in post#151 appear to show a large difference in time.

Yes it seems too great a difference; the top one 5.00 and the bottom 3.15. Maybe they'd fallen out of use. Viv.

Good point. It must have been incorrectly labelled - from a book called 'Railscene' by Douglas Doherty. It's says its New Street (Midland side) 12 July 1968. Viv.

It's definitely a diesel train. But maybe early 1960s before the Victorian station was demolished. As the late 1960s station was completed by 1968 (minus the shopping centre above it).

It's definitely a diesel train. But maybe early 1960s before the Victorian station was demolished. As the late 1960s station was completed by 1968 (minus the shopping centre above it).

That's a Class 105 Cravens DMU (diesel multiple unit) built between 1956 and 1959 and still in original green livery. Photo has to be wrongly dated of course as it was a very different looking station by 1968.

Simon

on the shaft that you wind up,(the one you put the key on) is a notch. On the innermost part of the spring that you want to wind is a hole and groove that the notch fits in. I suspect that overwinding has caused the notch to come out of the hole so it is now slipping. Or the spring could have snapped which is less likely to happen. Either way it's probably a strip down which isn't cheap. Greart

Yes it could. Do you wind it a little and then it starts to slip or does it jam. Greart

i wind it a little about 4-5 turns its ok and then it slips.it does work but i have to wid it more often

Back