• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army Huts after WW2

There were two army camp's.one either side of the Walsall road?. There was Perry hall camp, the other was Perry Barr camp.Perry Hall backed on to the railway track.Perry Barr backed on to the canal. We moved out in 1951 from Perry Hall. We moved into a beautiful new council house in Booth's lane.

Perry Barr Park was an anti-aircraft base which had turn-style like rotating guns and was also the base for large searchlights .
As a very young child I used sit in the air raid shelter listening to those AA guns firing and the sounds of bits of shrapnel from their shells dropping all around and next morning all the kids in the road used to rush out to see who could find the largest pieces which were very jagged and sharp.

Anyone know who to cotact about the Home Guard in Perry Barr? I am trying to put together a surprise package of info and photos for husbands 70th birthday as his Dad was a Home Guard when he worked at Tucker Eyelets on the Walsall Road. If there are any books etc that would be great.

Re: Perry Barr Army Huts 1948 onwards....Iam new to this history forum but noticed th

Welcome Janet to the forum and thanks for your memories about the huts in Perry Hall Park. I always like reading about those times of my childhood playing in the park. I am a little puzzled about your mention of the huts being right by the lake and a nearby canal and wonder whether you were in the nearby Perry Park. I've attached a 1945 aerial view of that park and there appear to be huts near to the lake and you can see the canal. There are many memories on the forum in other threads of the area around the parks.
oldmohawk
View attachment 89530
THE ARMY HUTS IN PERRY BARR PARK. CLOSE TO THE ROWING BOAT LAKE AND THE CANAL. NOT PERRY HALL PARLK

THE ARMY HUTS IN PERRY BARR PARK. CLOSE TO THE ROWING BOAT LAKE AND THE CANAL. NOT PERRY HALL PARLK
It should be obvious from various posts I have made that I am well aware of where the army huts were in Perry Barr Park and also some huts in Perry Hall Park. See the posts below with the photos that I posted.
A photo showing me in a rowing boat on the Perry Barr Park lake and I would have been seeing the huts behind my mother when she took the photo. Underneath the photo is a link to my post.
Rowing_Boat__Perry_Barr_Park_1940s.jpg
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/perry-barr.3525/post-172898

An aerial photo showing the huts in Perry Hall Park. The rectangle shape near top centre is the paddle boat moat. Underneath the photo is a click link to my post.
Perry_Hall_Park_1945.jpg
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...barr-army-huts-1948-onwards.37452/post-430796

An aerial view of the huts in Perry Barr Park. Houses on the Beeches Estate can be seen in the photo. Underneath the photo is a link to my post.
ww2PerryPark.jpg
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/perry-park.26170/post-712452

:)

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the group of Daimler Dingo scout cars parked together near Perry Barr Park? I think there were 3 or 4, which by the time I played in and around them were still intact but clearly inoperable. That would probably have been mid1950s. I lived in Tideswell Road and used to get to the Park by going up the road to the top road (can’t remember its name) then turn left down towards Curbar Road and then right into a right of way running down to the canal, and continuing to Walsall Road. The scout cars were nearer what became the cold storage depot.

My father tells me he was born in an old army hut in Perry Barr in 1948 and as a young child can remember using the park as his garden to play in. Anybody confirm this? And/Or why people lived in these. Did they have to have fmily in the army or were they used as emergency housing for the homeless? He remembers there being a stove in the centre of the hut which they would gather around to keep warm! I cannot find any reference to this online but he is adamant that this is where he spent his early years!
Yes I remember the army huts in Perry Barr park . I played there as a very young lad.I am now 74yrs old.I lived in Rowdale road.Thanks for the memories

Just out of interest if anyone was born in either of the parks and delivered by a Midwife it was most likely Nurse Edith Iveson who was a wonderful woman and part of my family who lived in Dewsbury Grove off Perry Avenue.

Just out of interest if anyone was born in either of the parks and delivered by a Midwife it was most likely Nurse Edith Iveson who was a wonderful woman and part of my family who lived in Dewsbury Grove off Perry Avenue.
I was born in a house on the Walsall Road between the two parks but I only remember Mom speaking of Dr McConnell being present.

We had DR’s Calderwood and McConnel from near Scotts Arms. Everyone feared Dr Calderwood and did their best to wait for Dr McConnel.

We had DR’s Calderwood and McConnel from near Scotts Arms. Everyone feared Dr Calderwood and did their best to wait for Dr McConnel.
Yes, he was a bit scary at times, he had a booming voice!
However, when my maternal grandfather was very ill with TB back in the 40's he used to call in and sit with him for a chat - you wouldn't get that today!
My Nan liked him very much and he always remembered her even though she moved out of Brum in the early 50's.

Dr McConnell was my doctor until he moved out - to Derby I think?

I remember living in an army hut on Lucas Sports Ground. I don’t know how we came to be there but I expect my mother didn’t like living with her sister in law in Hall Green. As far as I remember each family had its own hut, nothing communal, except for the children playing together! I went to the nursery school in Greenway(?) Road. 5F73ADF5-5A35-4E7D-83B6-8A950F31FF64.jpeg45AFDFC26-6D99-435C-A6B2-94991ED79A39.jpeg
I am the girl front row right in the picture taken in front of the huts. My brother is middle front of other photo. Hope this is I’d some interest.

Back