• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

hanley st newtown

thanks alf. do you know ive spent all me life in the area and i cant place where hanley st was. ive got a rough idea but will consult me map.

lyn

thanks sylvia. ive been that busy i fogot to look it up... im funny like that lol i like to get it in my minds eye just where streets are located. thank you

lyn

hi all heres a nice pic of washday in hanley st newtown 1965.

wales.

Thanks for the Photo, totally amazing as i was born in Hanley street 1962 and lived there until 1966, then moved to the newspaper shop on summer lane. If you have any more photos of this era it would be fantastic to see them.

Nice photo Lyn,an old mate of mine lived in Hanley St.perhaps this will draw him out,he is on the forum somewhere,but now lives in Cyprus.

hi john......glad you liked that pic....where abouts in summer lane was the paper shop....if you type in summer lane in the search box at the top right of the page there are some pics of the lane...any probs get back to me....

hi ray...you never know who pops up on here so fingers crossed...i will try and route out some more pics....

lyn

Lyn i found a great pic of my Nan on wash day, she has brown paper tied over her shoes and front of her legs with string ... mom said it was to stop the suds getting over you, anyone else remember their moms doing this?

claire i cant say as i can recall that...maybe our mom would....perhaps one day you could post that pic...would love to see it.....

lyn

When i can get to moms i will as it's at her's.. must say nan is sat on the coal hole and looks genuinely naffed off, can't say i blame her, how did they cope without washing machines :(

i know claire..they were hard times and thats why i have so much admiration for that generation...

look forward to seeing it....

lyn

Claire, I remember Women with paper around their Shoes etc but It was something in industry I'm sure.

Hi Lyn
The newspaper shop we moved to on Summer lane was next door to Sharples the Lino shop, thats all i can remember at the moment but will get more info from my mum later.
Do you know what post code Hanley street came under?
John .............

hi john...would think it was B19 but maybe someone can confirm that...earlier i posted a pic under the summer lane thread...hope you spotted it....look forward to anymore info you have...

lyn...

Hi Lyn

Had a chat with my mom, and she says that the paper shop on summer lane we moved too was owned by a guy called DEACON.
A bit more info for you if you are interested, we left Summer lane in 1969 and moved to Druids Heath which was a brand new council estate, couldnt believe my eyes when i actually saw green fields and trees...... and as a young whipper snapper this was an amazing place to live. Most of the people who came too live on Druids Heath were from the inner city slum clearence areas, mainly Balsall Heath, Newtown , Small Heath, Nechells, Alum Rock.
PS do you have a copy off Carl Chinns last magazine as i have been told there is a picture of my nan at a street party in it, unfortunately i have not seen a copy yet as i am working overseas.
John

hi john..thanks for that info and as always will be looking for more pics of hanley st and summer lane....yes ive got a copy i will see if i can find the pic of your nan..scan it and post on here for you.....

lyn

Last edited:
hi john..this is the only street party in the mag...ve day 1945 havelock rd...saltley..hope its the one....

lyn

Thanks for the Photo, totally amazing as i was born in Hanley street 1962 and lived there until 1966, then moved to the newspaper shop on summer lane. If you have any more photos of this era it would be fantastic to see them.

Hi John. It's been a while since I was on this site, so I only just saw your post. I think I lived next door to you on Hanley St. We were in #55. And I do remember the name Fisher. My parents names were Frank & Rita. We lived there from 61-69 then moved to Perry Common.

Mark Gaskin

Great pic! I lived at 55 Hanley Street from 61-69, and this brings back lots of memories!

Thanks for posting it!

Mark

Nice photo Lyn,an old mate of mine lived in Hanley St.perhaps this will draw him out,he is on the forum somewhere,but now lives in Cyprus.

Hi Ray, Back in blighty since july 2010, living now in Spalding.caught the article about Hanley Street really brought back memories.Will try and post some memories of the people from down the street sometime. The photo of the yard down Hanley St ,was our yard my aunt whom I lived with is in the photo,and I reconise a few of the people . talk soon Mick Mcgrath

Hi Ray, Back in blighty since july 2010, living now in Spalding.caught the article about Hanley Street really brought back memories.Will try and post some memories of the people from down the street sometime. The photo of the yard down Hanley St ,was our yard my aunt whom I lived with is in the photo,and I reconise a few of the people . talk soon Mick Mcgrath

Hi Mick. Welcome back (sort of... I'm in Canada :) )

Looking forward to any memories you can post about Hanley street.

Mark

Dear all I am new to this forum and I just wondered if anyone new my grandmother Cecelia Fenton and my mom Julie Fenton as they lived with my uncles in Hanley Street and I am sure they lived at 62 Hanley Street

Back