• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bread Factory,s

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys
I have just mentioined Hawleys bakeries on mosely road and kryick lane
and i thought i had a picture of the owners house being collected in a horse and carriage by an employee to bring him to his office at Hawleys, but apparently i have not got one of him
it was infact a mr hardings whom was the owner of Harding bakery coventry road yardley
is carriage with a mr george Baily out side mr HARDING house close to the bakery
It was known in those days as Harding steam bakeries of hay mills and yardley
Also around the same period of these other bakeries was one in and named
H Summer bakery on the green kings Norton, this was 1910 mind you .
then of course we had scribbons of Lodge road hockley which i know over he years we have done that thread on here
but geting back to moseley road as Ray T Brought it to mind i thought this could be a thread for the forum such as like me born and growing up in this world of brum
any of you the forum members and i know there is alot of folks on here this forum whom are years older than me and i reckon some of you must recall days befor motor vans
that it was a horse and cart for all trades people, like the milk man dairyman, coalman
rag and bone man and bakery man,

because i can recall those days after the war years we had all those trades people with there horse and cart our mom had the baker man comes with his basket with
bread and cakes and alsorts the cake in those days was what we called rock cakes
which today they are selling thm in the big stores under a different name of course
and i also recall two or thre neibours arguing and trying to race each other down the terace of cromwell terrace lichfield road to be forst shovel for the horse muck for there gardens
but behind my reason and asking this mentionion is because how many of you can recall
the name of your old horse and cart delivery baker in those days
how many of you can recall Hawleys bakery what was your mothers or family bakers
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,

My husband used to help deliver the bread on a horse and cart. He had a large basket which was heavy. One day the horse took off but it knew where to go for a treat so it stopped!
I'm younger than him but I remember the our milkman had a horse called Blackthorn.
rosie.

I can smell the fresh baked bread from Hardings right now. Use to get my haircut at Billy hadens across the street on Church Road the and then go over and get a fresh piece of bread, YUMMY.

I have very fond memories of Hayleys bakery.In the 1950s we lived in Oughton Road which ran behind Hawleys.Our house was next to the bread van garage, it was like an adventure playground for us boys especially on Sundays when all the vans were parked up .We were on first name terms with most of Hayleys staff who showed a great deal of tolerance to the gang of 8 year olds under their feet ..My Mom worked in the bread wrapping department and there was always very fresh bread and cakes for tea..Roy

Back