• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Service Numbers

DJRVST

master brummie
I presume the Casualty Lists published weekly show Service Numbers against each entry and not another number e.g. casualty. Is this so? I have a record of an individual who looks like a relative (my uncle) but the Casualty List service number (five digits) does not match the two Medal Card numbers ( a five and six digit format). He is a Burnt Record individual and no family records are available. I know he was wounded twice (my mother told me about his wounds). I have tried a range of commercial websites to try and clarify identity but to no avail. I do realise it may be simply be another person, or a typo but both were in the Warwicks and the timing looks right. I would rather ask than presume!!!!

DJRVST,

Janice is correct, otherwise we are guessing even more than you! Many individuals changed service number as they changed regiments. My own father started in the Royal Warwicks, was moved to the Labour Corps., and was finally Postmaster at Bovington Camp for the Royal Tank Corps - all in the space of two years. Hence he had three different service numbers.

Maurice

Thanks to pjmburns and Maurice. I have now cleared it up from some new family information. I recognize number changes are "usual" but value your thoughts and advice for future posts. Thanks DJRVST

Back