• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Demise of Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the road on first photo seen behind the spectators is "Raglan Road" , Edgbaston and although not in view of this shot, to the far left of the house was our house No5. Paul

Never liked cricket, found it rather complex and 'technical, always preferred football - until big business, mostly foreign, took over and sport disappeared and money ruled. Where there is money there is often cheating and corruption . Do not follow any professional sport now. Eric

I always liked cricket as a game, but only on two occasions have I seen it 'live' - first a county match at Edgbaston when I nearly went to sleep, and later a test match at Edgers (against Australia) which was marginally more exciting. In my view, cricket is a game made for TV - when it gets really boring, like when Boycott is having his interminable say, you can get up and make a cup of coffee, or paint the shed, or whatever. Football - I was a season-ticket holder at the Villa for years, and really got stuck in. Sadly, in recent years, football has become a branch of show-business. Rugby - I played in my youth and will always watch England, even before Eddie Jones put some fire into the game. Some of the televised club matches are also worth watching. I can also watch golf on TV, even though I've never played in my life. At least the participants don't have weird hair-styles and multiple tatooes..... However, this year, even apart from the Olympics, some of my best TV sport watching has been the cycling.

G

Strangely enough, the one game which in all the years I 'went down the Villa' that sticks in my mind is their 2 - 1 win over Bournemouth in an 'old' Third Division match during the 1971-72 season. That game was remarkable for two things: first, an attendance of 48000 which I think remains an unbeaten record at that level in the English game; second, for the incredible flying header goal by Bournemouth's Ted McDougall, which has to be one of the greatest goals ever at Villa Park. It certainly made McDougall a star, and if I'm correct he left Bournemouth for Manchester United at the end of that season.

In those days, it was said that the Villa could get 10000 turn up just to watch their kit drying on the washing line.....

G

Strangely enough, the one game which in all the years I 'went down the Villa' that sticks in my mind is their 2 - 1 win over Bournemouth in an 'old' Third Division match during the 1971-72 season. That game was remarkable for two things: first, an attendance of 48000 which I think remains an unbeaten record at that level in the English game; second, for the incredible flying header goal by Bournemouth's Ted McDougall, which has to be one of the greatest goals ever at Villa Park. It certainly made McDougall a star, and if I'm correct he left Bournemouth for Manchester United at the end of that season.

In those days, it was said that the Villa could get 10000 turn up just to watch their kit drying on the washing line.....

G
I was at that match, but I must say that my old man used to say "10,000 would turn up to see the shirts dry" about the team in the 1940s! He was probably right as 76,588 turned up for the FA Cup in 1946.

my generation has a problem of all the kissing and hugging, and wearing outlandish clothes, which has now entered Cricket, in the days of Fred Truman, during the mid late 50s was the best time for me, (I would have loved some one to have tried to kiss Fred), they would have been on their back in no time. Paul

I was at that match, but I must say that my old man used to say "10,000 would turn up to see the shirts dry" about the team in the 1940s! He was probably right as 76,588 turned up for the FA Cup in 1946.

I was right behind the goal at the Holte End that day, and as you'd expect there was a stunned silence when McDougall scored.

The 'watching the shirts dry' quote comes from when Docherty was manager, but from what you say it wasn't original! That 76588 crowd was before I was born - was it a semi-final between the Villa and Derby County?

Just out of interest, what would it cost me today if I went to watch the Villa?

G

I was right behind the goal at the Holte End that day, and as you'd expect there was a stunned silence when McDougall scored.

The 'watching the shirts dry' quote comes from when Docherty was manager, but from what you say it wasn't original! That 76588 crowd was before I was born - was it a semi-final between the Villa and Derby County?

G
Hi Big Gee,
The match in 1946 was, and still is, a record crowd for Villa Park. It was not a semi final as all such matches were played on neutral grounds. It was, in fact, a sixth round match in the FA Cup. Now that grounds are all seating I doubt that it will ever be exceeded. I have stopped attending matches myself now but I believe the cheapest tickets at Villa Park are about £35 each. This is much cheaper than the top London clubs charge,
Now to get back to the thread subject. I, myself, started this thread on 7th December 2010 almost exactly 6 years ago. Many of the posts referred to the fact that many school playing fields were being closed and school sport was becoming a thing of the past. The end result is that we are now complaining of obesity amongst our school children. Their town councils are now reaping the results of a stupid policy.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

G
It would cost you a good nights sleep. Watching Villa play these days would give you nightmares.

Thanks, I think we have Bob Willis, Alon Knott and Tony Greig. I will have to sort the programme out again to see if the front cover is mentioned, that’s if I don’t go giddy trying to avoid these Xmas bouncers that appear across the screen!

Thanks, I think we have Bob Willis, Alon Knott and Tony Greig. I will have to sort the programme out again to see if the front cover is mentioned, that’s if I don’t go giddy trying to avoid these Xmas bouncers that appear across the screen!
:D:D:D

The thread has been locked as several post have been made that were nothing to do with past history or birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back