• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Betting Office run by a Mr williams

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys
Firstly may i say I opologise if this is in the wrong thread and secondly I am
Researching betting shops or in the case of bookie runners of the yester years
Before the betting shops became legal in early 1900s
I am looking for information ofa Bookie by the name of williams whom I beleived to have operated down sandy lane Aston at some time
And also any old photograph of any such betting shop and possible an house
Or even sandy lane its self
Does anybody recall a guy named williams as the bookie at any year could be helpful, I myself no of sandy lane Aston but i cannot recall a betting shop
I can recall a couple of shops behind the vine pub but not sure of betting shop
Once again I thank you allfor reading my request and your time taken
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

upload_2016-12-4_20-18-23.png
Hi Guys
Firstly may i say I opologise if this is in the wrong thread and secondly I am
Researching betting shops or in the case of bookie runners of the yester years
Before the betting shops became legal in early 1900s
I am looking for information ofa Bookie by the name of williams whom I beleived to have operated down sandy lane Aston at some time
And also any old photograph of any such betting shop and possible an house
Or even sandy lane its self
Does anybody recall a guy named williams as the bookie at any year could be helpful, I myself no of sandy lane Aston but i cannot recall a betting shop
I can recall a couple of shops behind the vine pub but not sure of betting shop
Once again I thank you allfor reading my request and your time taken
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Hi Allan This is list of people who live in Sandy Lane you'll see I live at no 4, spoken to my Aunt she lived at No. she remembers the bookie on the corner but doesn't His name. This list is 1939.

Hi Ray
nice to hear from you again and thank you for yourvaluable time in tracking and recording me the list
which is a very great and helpful
my friend in question ,is our proffessional and inter national line dancer judge and instructor world number 1
when we talked about me being born lichfield road aston he emediately asked could i tell him about his father bussiness
down on sandy lane and my auntie lived ten doors from the vine pub and i knew sandy lane as well
but i could not think of seeing a betting shop but for some reason i always thought among those four shops
there was an old barber shop for some reason but i know gallaghers was along the lichfield rd
by ansells which is where my dad took me at five years old to start to gey my life long hair cuts
my friends surname is williams so i presume its his father named williams
but any way he is coming over from america for a short while he owns a whacking large hotel over there hes been there
for donkeys years and may be he thoughthe coulfd relate to him and bring him down to aston
but its all gone nowray they tell me, i moved out of brum 15 years now so its all changed
any way ray should you recall any think lets us know
merry christmas to you and a happy and healthy new year to you ray, your friend ,Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,

Back