• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where To Apply For Service Records

Some info is on Find my past, you can pay per view if you don't want to subscribe, or if it's particular records and you have details such as service numbers or regiments, you can contact the MOD archives and they may be able to help you, but there is usually a charge for this.
Good luck,
Sue

If the person you are interested in is pressumably dead, then you will need
a letter from the next of kin giving you authority to ask for his service
record. The £30 payment must be made by UK bank cheque or Money Order in
Sterling only. Debit or credit cards are not accepted. The fee is not
refundable if the records cannot be found. The last person that I know of who
asked for records had to wait 9 months before they had a response.

This link should take you to the MOD website and here you will see how to
make an application.

https://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/...ersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

and it will be a nine months wait by all accounts

hi folks could someone please confirm where to apply for a copy of service records these are for records before ww2 and during ww2

thank you

Lyn, I last tried to get some records about 10 years ago. Things may have changed and I may be wrong but I'm sure that WW2 records aren't available like those remaining from WW1. I think you have to apply to the regiment and pay for them. They don't always
release them. I was trying to find details of Parker's uncle who was buried in India in 1942. Hope someone has some different information.

hi pen i know we cant get any service records after ww1 online..i thought i was told once that we have to apply to the MOD and it does cost a few quid plus the waiting time for them to arrive can be well over a year...i am asking for a friend whos dad served with the chindits (think that how you spell it) prior to ww2...not sure what regiment he was in during ww2..

lyn

I don't know about ww2 records but I got my 1950s records from:
Army Personnel Centre, Support Division
Disclosures 2,
Mail Point 535
Kentigem House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX.
There's an email address: [email protected]
I don't know if that's just for my particular corps but I dare say they will respond to an inquiry.
I do know that they only supply information to those who have a legitimate reason for asking eg. a veteran or direct relative.
I wasn't charged for my records but be prepared to wait a fair while for them to arrive if you are successful.

Not Related to the Army i know, but I got my Navy Records, and Medical records (left in 1978) from the Portsmouth navy records office, if i remember correctly, if you want to get a relatives records there is a fee of 35.00 pounds

hi pen i know we cant get any service records after ww1 online..i thought i was told once that we have to apply to the MOD and it does cost a few quid plus the waiting time for them to arrive can be well over a year...i am asking for a friend whos dad served with the chindits (think that how you spell it) prior to ww2...not sure what regiment he was in during ww2..
lyn
Lyn,
The Chindits did not exist before WW2. They were a special group and fought behind the lines in Northern Burma during 1943-1944. Their commander was Major General Orde Wingate.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Thanks everyone for the information. Although it really wasn't my query originally I will certainly try to follow the link up. Parker's uncle was buried in Ranchi War cemetery and as there was no fighting in India in 1942 it's been a mystery to us where and how he actually died.

Lyn,
The Chindits did not exist before WW2. They were a special group and fought behind the lines in Northern Burma during 1943-1944. Their commander was Major General Orde Wingate.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

thanks chris i have found out a bit more...got that wrong about being in chindits before ww2..he was with them and a couple of other regiments including the royal warks...thanks for the help folks i will pass this onto a friend of mine who is researching his dads service records...

Back