• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Randall

Turbo79

knowlegable brummie
Searching for Randall family, herbert and lily Randall of dollman Street, 1900s duddeston believed to be originally from Nuneaton area, moved to Verney Grove kings Norton in mid 1960s

Herbert Randall marriage to Lily B Bradley registered Atherstone Dec qtr 1923.

On the 1939 register they are listed (I think in Dollman St) with their son Robert Arthur

Herbert Randall was born 10th (?) Oct 1896, death registered Bham Mar qtr 1976

Death registered for Lily B Randall, Bham Jun qtr 1954

Robert Arthur was born 17th Feb 1926, death registered Bham Sep qtr 1975

There is a birth registered for a Herbert Randall, Aston Dec qtr 1896.

Son of Alfred & Ellen, living Loxton St in 1901.

The most likely Lily is a Lily Beatrice Bradley, born in Rowley Regis/Black Heath, birth registered Dudley Sep qtr 1895.

The most likely Lily is a Lily Beatrice Bradley, born in Rowley Regis/Black Heath, birth registered Dudley Sep qtr 1895.

Amazing results thankyou, could you go back any further

Can't be 100% certain from info given, you would need the certificates to make sure.

Lily is possibly the eldest daughter of James Bradley and his second wife Fanny Ward.

Alfred Randall married Ellen Reynolds 14th August 1871 registered in Aston.

Alfred Randall was born 1849 in Great Comberton, christened 14th Oct 1849, the son of Edward and Eliza Randall

I only have death certificate of herbert Randall my great grandfather, born 8th 1896, died 15th January 1976

The marriage certificate for Herbert and Lily would be a must, if you've got no other corroborative evidence. You don't want to be tracing the wrong people.

GRO - £9.25 I think, online or over the phone.

Edward Randall marriage to Eliza Randall (a relative ?) registered Chipping Norton, Mar qtr 1848.

Edward Randall was born 1820 Great Wolford, christened 31st Mar 1820, son of William & Hannah

Eliza Randall born 1826 Long Compton, christened 18 Jun 1826, daughter of John & Abigail

Alfred Randall married Ellen Reynolds 14th August 1871 registered in Aston.

Alfred Randall was born 1849 in Great Comberton, christened 14th Oct 1849, the son of Edward and Eliza Randall
The marriage certificate for Herbert and Lily would be a must, if you've got no other corroborative evidence. You don't want to be tracing the wrong people.

No it was definitely lily beatrice Bradley, I have a funeral bill from the co-op funeral service 13th April 1954, she and herbert are both buried at St Laurence churchyard, ansley, nr Nuneaton

Being quite lucky with the Randalls.

William Randall married Hannah Lock, Wolford 7 Nov 1811

William christened 5 May 1777, son of John & Elizabeth. Buried 20 Feb 1851.

Hannah was born 1787 in Great Rollright, Oxfordshire. Buried 28 Nov 1861.

John Randall married Elizabeth Durran, Wolford 8 Feb 1777.

There are a number of John Randalls of the right age then.

No it was definitely lily beatrice Bradley, I have a funeral bill from the co-op funeral service 13th April 1954, she and herbert are both buried at St Laurence churchyard, ansley, nr Nuneaton

The marriage certificate would give the name of their fathers.

If the parents of Herbert are Alfred and Ellen then this is their marriage record. (I can't get Herbert's as the online records stop before 1923). Also Alfred's baptism record.

Attachments

• Alfred and Ellen marriage.JPG
    Alfred and Ellen marriage.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Alfred baptism.JPG
    Alfred baptism.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
If Ellen's father is listed as a Wire Drawer which it looks like it, then it looks like she was christened 7 Dec 1856 at St Andrew's, Bordesley.

James appears to be born 1820ish in Gloucestershire and Elizabeth's (mother) birthplace is listed as Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire.

Ages change on each census and James' birthplace is listed as Newham, Gloucs; Forest of Dean, Birmingham, Monmouthshire & Tintern Abbey. The last 2 look wrong. There is a baptism for a James Reynolds 1820 Newent, Gloucs. which could be him.

Last edited:
There is also a Charles Reynolds christened in Newent, son of Thomas & Elizabeth and in 1851 he is living in Bedwelty, Monmouthshire with parents which would tie in with the birthplace of Elizabeth, Ellen's mother.

If Ellen's father is listed as a Wire Drawer which it looks like it, then it looks like she was christened 7 Dec 1856 at St Andrew's, Bordesley.

James appears to be born 1820ish in Gloucestershire and Elizabeth's (mother) birthplace is listed as Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire.

Ages change on each census and James' birthplace is listed as Newham, Gloucs; Forest of Dean, Birmingham, Monmouthshire & Tintern Abbey. The last 2 look wrong. There is a baptism for a James Reynolds 1820 Newent, Gloucs. which could be him.
is there anyway of following the Bradley bloodline from Rowley Regis/Blackheath or a Westwood bloodline from Hampstead nr West Bromwich starting with vera Westwood born 7th March 1927 till July 2011, this is my grandmother who married Robert Arthur Randall

There is also a Charles Reynolds christened in Newent, son of Thomas & Elizabeth and in 1851 he is living in Bedwelty, Monmouthshire with parents which would tie in with the birthplace of Elizabeth, Ellen's mother.
At some point in history, James Bradley is related to the Randall 's, as vera Westwood and Robert Randall have a cousin in common who is still alive, lily Bradley

James Bradley's a bit more tricky.

He could be the son of John and Mary Bradley, christened 10th Oct 1861 Rowley Regis.

James married Polly Pearson 24 Dec 1882 in Kingswinford and Fanny Ward 17 Mar 1895 in Brierley Hill

James Bradley's a bit more tricky.

He could be the son of John and Mary Bradley, christened 10th Oct 1861 Rowley Regis.

James married Polly Pearson 24 Dec 1882 in Kingswinford and Fanny Ward 17 Mar 1895 in Brierley Hill
I'll try and fill in some blanks with my grandmothers cousin, lily Bradley

I'll try and fill in some blanks with my grandmothers cousin, lily Bradley
James Bradley had siblings of harry Bradley and a John bradley, their father who I think is another James Bradley died in 1908 in the Hampstead colliery disaster, most of the Bradley's remained in Warwickshire in the village of Handley, I have a names of Tom Bradley marrying "doll" or "doris" cowley

James Bradley had siblings of harry Bradley and a John bradley, their father who I think is another James Bradley died in 1908 in the Hampstead colliery disaster, most of the Bradley's remained in Warwickshire in the village of Handley, I have a names of Tom Bradley marrying "doll" or "doris" cowley
Sorry, mean hansley, Warwickshire

This is James Bradley (Lily's father) in 1901...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS75-XX5

...as you can see his second with is some years younger than him, only a few years old than his sons from his first marriage. James is listed as a miner and I think it his he who died in 1908, the death registered in the West Bromwich lists an age of 45.

Fanny Bradley subsequently re-married Robert Edward Hampson, registered West Bromwich 1909, and the family is living in Ansley, Warks in 1911 which is in the Atherstone district and ties in with Lily's marriage to Herbert.

Lily Bradley's ancestors. James Bradley & Fanny Ward.

Still seems most likely that James Bradley was b1851 son of John Bradley b1831 Kingswinford & Mary. There are a couple of John Bradleys that could be James' father, no way to tell which or the full name of his mother without his birth certificate.

Fanny Ward was the daughter of Eli Ward, b1832 in Netherton or Darby End, and Ann Chandler, b1838 in Netherton.

Eli Ward was the son of William Ward, b1805, and Mary Ann Hadley, b1811 in Darby End.

Ann Chandler was the daughter of Edward Chandler, b1816 in Netherton, and Ann Hill, b1814 in Netherton.

Back