• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 21.40.18.jpg
From the Evening Despatch....October 1939, Corp John Arthur Payton Survivor of the Royal Oak.

He went to Sacred Heart School Witton.

IMG_0997.jpg This may be interesting concerning The Lad in the Lane in Erdington. The Evening Despatch of the 2nd of February 1939 reports that it is closing!

Will search the paper for further details.

Hi beleive in those days if you knocked down a Lamp post you would have to pay
A miseable sum of money to the locasl council or as it now says Highway agencies
They call it my brother inlaw many years back in the sixty /seventy had the pleasure
For knocking one down in kingheath he was charged twenty five quid
I wonder what they charge you now, and what about a keep left bolabard
It seems a reguraly practice in king heath alcester road junction i pass there regular
Its either laying down in the road or its taken away Astonian,,,,

For those of us who lived outside the city, in the sticks as they say, lamposts were rare. In parts of the Solihull district gas lights were put in by POW's shortly after VE Day. I expect they are now electric lights.

View attachment 109125 This may be interesting concerning The Lad in the Lane in Erdington. The Evening Despatch of the 2nd of February 1939 reports that it is closing!

Will search the paper for further details.

thanks pedrocut...interesting bit of history about the pub..as you may know the pub is still very much up and running

lyn

Hi Lynn and pedrocut
Firstly its great that pedro as found a little piece on the pub,
Namely originaly the ye olde green man, it originates in the 15th century
I have a picture post card which the originale picture of the ye olde green man
And it was published by Mr R Benton sold Ale from Rushton,s Brewery
At 69 Aston Road North and Chester Street
In in a book called birmingham lnns and Pubs they are photographd on post cards
They are old picture cards printed by John Marks
And its Yesterdays warickshire series no 5
Its pink in colour and a decent size picture on front cover of the Roe Buck Inn
Alan,,,Astonian,,,,

Thankfully no-one was injured by the boiler. But I had to smile when the proprietor commented "I had just selected a couple of chops from the display counter for tea ....." Wonder if those chops ever got cooked! Viv.

Back