• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

National Service

What a great adventure Smudge, it was easy to do in the early 60's, before the wall,Paul
It was a very embarrassing adventure Paul. We were carrying underwater diving equipment to be delivered to the Olympic swimming pool? If that had been confiscated we would have been in deep water ourselves. Apart from a grilling by the military police (wanting to know what uniforms/weapons we saw) we didn`t get much of a ?ollicking. We had to wait several days to take the equipment back, which gave us time to sample the delights of Berlin. A very liberal city!!

I drove an RL in Egypt, didn't need a heater :) . When Nasser chucked us out we brought 13 trucks back to the UK mostly RLs we also brought back a Leyland truck set up as an auto electrician's workshop, I think it probably dated back to the late 1920s.
The Egyptian dockers at Port Said dropped one of our RLs into the hold causing it to buckle in the middle, we had to supended tow it behind a Scammel all the way from Barry docks to South Benfleet.

Just having a chat with a British drummer friend, and ex. army man, who has lived in Germany for many years.

I was relating my Germany posting from August 1952 to January 1954, when I was demobbed. It was eight months before I had completed my Army course training, at Catterick, and then embarked to Germany. I was in the Royal Signals, and although my base camp was Herford, I spent a great deal of time in Bad Oeynhausen, with trips to Hamburg, Hannover and Berlin, which, in 1952/53, was pretty scary. The Berlin trip was by train, and as soon as we entered the Russian Zone, all the carriage windows had to have the blinds drawn until we reached the British Zone, in Berlin.

I used to love the 'war exercises' that we would go out to, living in tents for a week at a time. It all kept me pretty fit.

Between all of that, I would be playing in the camp band at the Officers and Sergeants Mess do's, which proved to be very useful.
(If I have posting some of this previously, my apologies. The recalling those times, with a friend, just brought it all back)

Eddie

In the loft, just found these two photographs.

How many of you ex. National Service men, remember these troop ships, and travelled on them, between Harwich & the Hook of Holland, bound for West Germany?

The Empire Wansbeck: on the back it says September 11th 1952, so it would have been when I first went to Germany after I had completed my eight month training course.

The other photograph is the S.S Vienna: On the back it states that I was on this ship when I returned from Germany, on October 2nd 1954 (My 21st birthday). I had returned to Germany for the annual two weeks training that we undertook after demobilisation. I remember the crossing as being a very heavy North sea, and plenty of guys being ill. We arrived in Harwich in the morning of the 2nd, and I made a quick dash back home, to 'Brum' for my 21st party, in the evening. Fortunately I had not been ill, and really enjoyed my 21st, a party with a difference, back to civilian life, and playing the drums.

Eddie

Attachments

• Empire Wansbeck 001.jpg
    Empire Wansbeck 001.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 14
  • S.S. Vienna 001.jpg
    S.S. Vienna 001.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Eddie,

As I spent the bulk of my time in darkest Shropshire (and can't even remember how I got there), this doesn't really apply to me, but it struck me that the Empire Wansbeck must be a sister ship of the Empire Windrush that brought the first West Indian immigrants to Brum, many to serve as conductors (and some later as drivers) for B.C.T.

I also came across this website which may be of interest:-

https://baor-locations.org/TroopTransport.aspx.html

Maurice

Eddie,

As I spent the bulk of my time in darkest Shropshire (and can't even remember how I got there), this doesn't really apply to me, but it struck me that the Empire Wansbeck must be a sister ship of the Empire Windrush that brought the first West Indian immigrants to Brum, many to serve as conductors (and some later as drivers) for B.C.T.

I also came across this website which may be of interest:-

https://baor-locations.org/TroopTransport.aspx.html

Maurice

Wonderful. Thank you, Maurice,

A wonderful website, that brings back many memories. Not only for troopships, but also British Army of the Rhine (B.A.O.R) history, and photographs of barracks and locations, including the two barracked where I was stationed...Herford, and more interestingly, Bad Oeynhausen, where we were given our own house, having been taken from the German families that previously lived in these houses.. This was September 1952

Your comments about the Empire Wansbeck/Empire Windrush ships are most interesting. I have no idea if they were sister ships, but maybe someone on the BHF website can offer more information. Many of the folk that come to the U.K on the Empire Windrush would have settled in Birmingham.

Eddie

Last edited:
Both ships were built in Germany and seized as spoils of war, along with many others - the Empire prefix indicating that they belonged to the British Government. The Windrush was also used as a troop carrier by the Germans during the war.

I was working in the Cashier's Office of BCT when the first West Indian employees arrived, though they weren't by any means the first to arrive in the UK - those came in 1948. All the office staff felt very sorry for them, they looked rather bedraggled, and had strange names. One even had the forenames Jesus Christ. But the majority of them soon settled down. If I remember right, the Union allowed an initial intake of 60.

Maurice

In the early 60's we went via the normal, "Hook van Holland ferry", and then train, later we flew from Luton , on mainly "Britania Airways". the LOA was fabulous in Germany, 60's and 70's. I remember that the HvH port, was alive with Red Caps, and Snow Drops. Paul

Interestingly, I can now compare some of my own photographs, taken 1952/53, with some of the official photographs that were taken during B.A.O.R days. I know that many 'Brummies' were stationed in both Herford and Bad Oeynhausen, and so maybe of interest to some 'old soldiers'.

The first photograph is an official one of B.A.O.R Army Head Quarters in Bad Oeynhausen. This was the major German office link to the War office, in London, and is where I worked.
The first of the three collective photographs is one of my own views, taken in 1953, of the H.Q frontage, and the second photograph is down the side of the same building, with the Cypher office based on the top floor, with barricaded windows.

After May 1945, the British removed all civilian personal from Bad Oeyhausen, and the military took the town over completely. The lovely large houses became billets for British troops, and the third photograph shows the house in which I lived. It was right next to the Head Quarters, so we could be in the cypher office quickly, in any emergency.

I will post more interesting information tomorrow.

Eddie

Attachments

• N.A.G H.Q. Bad Oeyhausen 1947 001.jpg
    N.A.G H.Q. Bad Oeyhausen 1947 001.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Bad Oeynhasen H.Q & Billet 001.jpg
    Bad Oeynhasen H.Q & Billet 001.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 12
My national service took me to Egypt in 1953 on the Empire Ken, returned in Jan 1955 on the MV Georgic a Cunard Transatlantic liner commissioned to get us back when Nasser took over the Egypt government.

My initial arrival in then, West Germany, was to Royal Signals, Herford. Although this would always be my base, I spent very little time there.

It was a German army barracks before the end of WW2, and interesting I have come across some photographs of when it was occupied by German troops, and am able to compare a similar building, with one of my own photographs of the barracks. Mine taken in 1953.

Eddie

Attachments

• Barracks Herford German 001.jpg
    Barracks Herford German 001.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Barracks Herford British 001.jpg
    Barracks Herford British 001.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
A photograph of Bad Oeynhausen railway station, now & then. For quite some time I had my own private room overlooking the railway station, complete with radio and large wardrobe. Very civilian like!

Attachments

• Bad Oeynhausen Railway Station 001.jpg
    Bad Oeynhausen Railway Station 001.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Steam Engine Bad Oeyhausen 001.jpg
    Steam Engine Bad Oeyhausen 001.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 22
  • My room Bad Oeynhausen 001 - Copy.jpg
    My room Bad Oeynhausen 001 - Copy.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 21
My driver, would drive me on courier work. Good driver. Note the left hand drive jeep , ideal for German autobahns. Never knew his first name, just "Brummie" Wright.

Herford & Bad Oeynhausen, Royal Signals, Germany, 1953.

If he is still alive, he would also be around 83. Would be nice to find out more about him. Hopefully someone in Birmingham may know.

Eddie

Attachments

• 'Brummie' Wright 001.jpg
    'Brummie' Wright 001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I love those Then and Now photographs. I used to buy "After The Battle" magazine which comes out every quarter and is a darned good read for anyone interested in how WW2 scenes look now. They have both a website and a Facebook page, and you can get all the back issues from Foyles. Some great stories in there and nice to know that someone is, like BHF, preserving history. By the way, I have nothing to do with the company!

Maurice

A photograph of Bad Oeynhausen railway station, now & then. For quite some time I had my own private room overlooking the railway station, complete with radio and large wardrobe. Very civilian like!
Great photos Eddie, I like those perfectly folded blankets and sheets in photo 3.

My driver, would drive me on courier work. Good driver. Note the right hand drive jeep , ideal for German autobahns. Never knew his first name, just "Brummie" Wright.

If he is still alive, he would also be around 83. Would be nice to find out more about him. Hopefully someone in Birmingham may know.

Eddie
My driver, would drive me on courier work. Good driver. Note the right hand drive jeep , ideal for German autobahns. Never knew his first name, just "Brummie" Wright.

Eddie

No disrespect intenended Eddie but that looks like a left hand drive to me !
When I got to Germany, in '59, Jeeps had been replaced by left hand drive Austin Champs.

The story of my life mate !
All our vehicles were RHD. I learned to drive and passed my test in Germany on Bedford RL, Austin 1 tonner, Austin Champs, (Brum connection !) and Humber 1 ton.
I drove on the continent last year and it frightened me to death !

My final set of photographs from my Then and Now National Service days in West Germany.
They are from Bad Oeynhausen. The town had been completely taken over by the British, all the civilians removed, all the houses used for billeting troops, and all the town amenities, for the British troops stationed there.

My final set of photographs from my Then and Now National Service days in West Germany.
They are from Bad Oeynhausen. The town had been completely taken over by the British, all the civilians removed, all the houses used for billeting troops, and all the town amenities, for the British troops stationed there.

The Kurpark. The building became the NAAFI, dance hall, sports hall etcetera, for the troops. There was a German jazz trio playing in the huge lounge, most days of the week. Initially I would sit and listen, but then got to know the drummer, who let me sit in with the trio on a couple of occasions.

There was also the Kur Theatre, which the British had taken over, and it was a fine theatre. During my stay there, the guy that directed most of the plays was a room mate of mine, Leon Eagles. Later, I remember seeing him in a couple of British b/w films

Attachments

• Bad Oeynhausen Kurhaus 001.jpg
    Bad Oeynhausen Kurhaus 001.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Soldiers in Kurpark 1952 001.jpg
    Soldiers in Kurpark 1952 001.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Kur Theatre, Bad Oeynhausen 001.jpg
    Kur Theatre, Bad Oeynhausen 001.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Kur Theatre Leon Eagles Play 001.jpg
    Kur Theatre Leon Eagles Play 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
Whilst looking through my old photographs from N.S. days, I came across this one, which has an interesting story.
It is known as the Minden Gap, and is a few kilometres from Bad Oeynhausen.

During WW2 it was a very strategic point in the Allied advance through Germany. The Allies, mainly American, had to get through this gap, which was the only way through due to a series of high hills. In fact, the main road, railway, and canal ran through the gap. Lots of Americans, and Germans, died in the fierce battle for the gap.

In the hill shown, the Germans had also built a factory, manufacturing explosives, and parts for the V2 rockets. Much of the labour was from concentration camps.

After its capture, the Allied engineers internally blew up the factory, and the chalk sides that can be seen, are from the hill sliding down, after the huge explosions.

Photograph taken by myself, in 1953.

Eddie

Attachments

• Minden Gap 001.jpg
    Minden Gap 001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
A now picture of that Minden Gap photograph is not easy, Eddie, as it seems the German Government have not allowed Google StreetView and the Government is fairly anti-Google anyway!

Maurice

Nice pics Eddie. The nice thing i remember about my time in Germany was the cleanliness everywhere. The beer wasn`t too bad either!!

Sixty five years ago today, January 17th 1952, I seem to recall it was a Thursday, together with other young men, each of us clutching the obligatory brown paper and string, I stood on a platform at New Street Station, waiting to be transported, by steam train, for our involuntary National Service career in the armed forces. Catterick Camp, and the Royal Signals was our destination. My civilian career was just starting to take off. Now it would be on hold for a couple of years.

We climbed aboard the train, and made our way to a compartment. Strangely, for the first few minutes no one spoke, but we were all looking very apprehensive, and at each other, wondering, rather foolishly, if we were all joining up for an army career. Slowly conversations began, and of course, we were all destined for the same army life.

We arrived in Darlington on a bitterly cold, dark evening, to be greeting by screaming N.C.O's, as we were all bundled, like cattle, into tarpaulin covered army lorries, each of us sitting on a long wooden bench.

At this point we all felt doomed, and that the world had forsaken us. For the next six weeks, the world did forsake us.

We were almost the last troops to serve under a king. King George VI died just 20 days later.

That winter the Yorkshire Moors threw everything at us. It snowed a great deal, with snow and ice underfoot. Trying to march, in studded boots, on ice was not funny, and many a recruit slipped over. Again, to be screamed at by some drill instructor, and being informed that they were a complete idiot.
"Dig your heels in, man" they would scream, directly into one's face.

For myself, as a drummer, and having lived a fairly relaxed sort of life since commencing work, the cold hit me hard. Each of my ten fingers split open with the cold (no gloves allowed on parade, or in training). Trying to tie/untie leather boot laces, and buttoning/unbuttoning clothes became difficult, not made any easier by some corporal or sergeant shouting "Outside in two minutes" . We even had to run in the freezing cold wearing just P.T vest, shorts, and pumps.

I survived it, and went on to an enjoyable two year career. My seven month training for a trade, was very intense, and demanding, and coupled with the fact that I managed to play the drums in the camp band, made life a lot easier.

The brown paper, and string???....Oh that was to return our civilian clothes back home, the final vestige of civilian life broken.

Eddie

Attachments

• Basic training Catterick 001.jpg
    Basic training Catterick 001.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
All that "In your face screaming" by nco`s was taken with a pinch of salt after a while, except where there was spittle involved & that really annoyed me, & i was never one to keep quiet about it & one time after getting a face full of spittle i said to this corporal " Blimey corporal your breath stinks, have you been eating garlic" What made matters worse was the sniggering in ranks, & of course the obligatory punishment , "down on the ground & give me 20" & after the 20 was quick time round the square. I never got spittle from that geezer again, & for some strange reason he was almost friendly towards me.

On military exercises in West Germany 1953.
As a cypher operator I was never at the front, but we were always behind the lines, working in a specially designed lorry, with all the relevant equipment, usually easy, reliable code methods, to be used without danger to more important methods.

In 1952/53, we would liaise with the American, French, Belgium, Dutch and other NATO forces.
We even had Polish forces, mainly those that had escaped the Russian advance into Poland.

It was the Cold War period, and was a very responsibility on all of us. The National Serviceman did a great job in maintaining the uneasy post war peace.

Eddie

Attachments

• Exercise Germany 001.jpg
    Exercise Germany 001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 12
Like father, like son. Not really.

My father was a real army man. Before WW2 he served in the Territorial Army, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Was at Dunkirk, came back home, went back to France at D Day. Came home in 1946.

Me? I was conscripted as a National Serviceman. Did my time to the best of my ability, and delighted to get demobbed, and return to my own world of music. My father was proud to seem me wearing two stripes. I was just glad to get the extra money as an N.C.O.

Eddie.

Attachments

• Dad Army photo 001 - Copy.jpg
    Dad Army photo 001 - Copy.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 12
  • Corporal Haynes 001.jpg
    Corporal Haynes 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Hi All,

Can any one out there tell me what forces my Grandfather was in. I have a photo but don't know much, I came across this and thought would get more of a response from the experts. My father was in the Royal Corps of Signals 23629982 - Allan W Pritchatt. I think he was doing his national service in 1960. My father worked at Hardy Spices in late 1969 until he retired. I don't have any pics. I will post my Grandfather.

Jackie

Attachments

• Arthur Brueiton Pritchatt 30 Aug 1940.jpg
    Arthur Brueiton Pritchatt 30 Aug 1940.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 25
Back