• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Good Read

rowan

Born a Brummie
At the moment I am reading "Bread, Jam and a Borrowed Pram" by Dot May Dunn.
Set in 1958 Aston it tells the life of a newly qualified Health Visitor.

For all you old Astonians it will bring back memories I should imagine.

At the moment I am reading "Bread, Jam and a Borrowed Pram" by Dot May Dunn.
Set in 1958 Aston it tells the life of a newly qualified Health Visitor.

For all you old Astonians it will bring back memories I should imagine.
Sounds interesting. I will look out for it.

Marion

rowan i am sure i was given or had a lend of that book but never got round to reading it...cant seem to find it now...will have a better look later on

lyn

rowan i am sure i was given or had a lend of that book but never got round to reading it...cant seem to find it now...will have a better look later on

lyn
Find it lyn and you will enjoy it and you will Marion, I did and I don't know Aston very well................. only where my Great Aunt Carrie lived back of the Hip and New Town Row where I worked at Henry Corbetts.

I am sure it would be in your library .

hi rowan ive looked and i cant find it:(..must try and get hold of a copy now

lyn

Hi rowan
I hope you do not mind me asking but at what period did you work at corbetts
My two brothers worked there for afew years
One was roy the other dave he was first then dave got roy a job there as well
By the way i will try myself to get thay book as i am a true brummie and Astonian
Through and through best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,

Hello Alan,
First I must say thank you for all the posts you put on this wonderful site, I do enjoy reading them.
I am certain you will enjoy the book as you will be familiar with the areas mentioned. I don't know if it is still in print but if you "Google" it I am sure it will show somewhere it can be purchased from.

I worked at Henry Corbett's in 1958, I was their telephonist/receptionist for about 7 months.

Thank you Alan for your reply.

Hi Everybody,
Have just Googled the title of the book and there are several on Ebay from £2.80 with free shipping ..........
good value I should say. I am lucky a friend has loaned me hers :))

There was a TV programme during the past week called "Books that made Britain: Factories to Middle Earth". The programme is on BBC iPlayer and is only 30 minutes long. It is totally set in Birmingham and there are many shots of Birmingham past and present. Books featured are "Nice Work" by David Lodge; "The Rotter's Club" by Jonathan Coe; "The Gift of Stones" by Jim Crace; "My name is Leon"by Kit de Waal; and "Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien. Scenes are not just from the City Centre but also from some of the suburbs. Dave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0801pgy/books-that-made-britain-factories-to-middle-earth.

Not a new book, written in 2002, but new to me "Being There" Sir Frank Price's autobiography. From Hockley courtyard to guest of honour at Buckingham Palace, without a formal education. I never met him but my wife worked with him in early 1960's.

Not a new book, written in 2002, but new to me "Being There" Sir Frank Price's autobiography. From Hockley courtyard to guest of honour at Buckingham Palace, without a formal education. I never met him but my wife worked with him in early 1960's.
This book has shortcomings in so much that it tells you for example that an event happened at 7.30pm and then omits the date even the year, and then it doesn't have an index, so re-reading could be easier.

I have a couple of GOOD READS for you older folks. "The Brum we Knew" by Tom Golding and "The luftwaffe over Brum" by Steve Richards

A tad off thread, but this morning I went to an entertaining talk at our local U3A given by Todd Grey, the subject carved pew ends, not my first choice but Todd is the Exeter answer to Carl Chinn. He hails from the East coast of USA and has a Dave Allen sense of humour. If any of our many Devon members have the chance to hear him I do recommend that you do.
www.stevensbooks.co.uk/todd-talks.html for more information.

Steve Richards is the author of several books on Midland Red, and is a well known local aviation photographer.

Back