• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

oldMohawk, it is essential to leave that 'space' after Perfmon or it will not work (found that out by trial and error). Now have the Icon on my desktop. Eric

Hi Eric, yes the spaces in commands are important. You can use the same procedure to make icons to do almost anything. You can make one for going direct to the BHF if you put https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php in the procedure box.
When you click on the icon it will open your browser and the home page of the forum will appear and if you don't want the icon it can be deleted.
oldmohawk

HELP! please. You may recall that I mentioned I was getting a Windows10 notebook. Well I have been getting to grips with it and quite like the touch screen operation(like I-pad etc.)
Well this morning on switching on I have the warning "Your Windows license will expire soon, activate windows in settings". There I then get asked to enter a product key or to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
What's going on?
I don't think Windows 10 Pro is for ordinary domestic use.
The only code provided with the product is not of the required format.
Will it all go away if I ignore it.

I would agree with Janice, contact whoever supplied your device. Hopefully there is a genuine copy of Windows 10 in it.
You can find the product key which is actually in the device by ....
1 Settings
2 System
3 About (right at the bottom you might need to scroll down to see it)
This will show the product (Windows 10) id.

Thanks all for prompt replies. Sent email to supplier, bought via ebay, supposed to be new but had lots of Cantonese? style preloaded stuff. Found the product code using OMH instructions. Wish I had bought the very similar m/c from Sainsbury's where there was a very helpful sales guy. Live and learn.

It may be worth phoning Microsoft (UK!) and explain the situation. They can be helpful on occasions. If you can't find the number let me know - I'm on a computer forum and I'm sure someone there will have a MS helpline number. Failing that and a satisfactory reply from the supplier I would download a copy of W10Pro (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) install that and keep your fingers crossed.

Windows 10 for £69.99 (£64.99 using £5 voucher) 9" tablet from a well known large supermarket.
Bought for a grandchild and set up with Microsoft child account with Family Safe settings controlling what can be accessed including Cortana's 'Ask me anything'. The camera is low res and battery life is about 4 hrs but screen resolution is good and the wifi works perfectly. The ram is only 1Gb so using Edge browser, Windows Defender, and Cortana to search. Only 16Gb memory but can be expanded with 32GB sdhc card. I plugged the usb receiver of my wireless keyboard/mouse into the tablet and it worked immediately. A large number of Windows Updates came in when first switched on and it is now on the very latest build of Win 10. It is not up to iPad performance but I am quite impressed with it for the price.
WIN10tablet2.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure this is Windows 10 but is anyone else having problems with pages "hanging" and taking ages to load? It seems to happen if I open a thread and want to go back to a previous page on the same thread. I resorted to using IE instead of Chrome earlier.

Chrome is my main browser and I'm not having any speed problems with the BHF. After the latest Windows 10 updates the Edge browser is much improved and I find it superior and easier to use compared to Internet Explorer. I find no significant speed differences between Chrome and Edge. I have 100+ bookmarks in Chrome and imported them into Edge with some tweaks to make Edge look like Chrome.
Chrome will probably stay as my favourite ... I even use it on my iPad ....:)

No problem with Chrome - try clearing the cache (press Ctrl+Shift+Del and tick 'Cached Images and Files' leaving everything else unticked unless you want to clear History, Cookies etc). Also flush the DNS - if you have CCleaner tick DNS Cache in the system section and run that or from the Command Prompt (Administrator) run ipconfig /flushdns

Not really windows 10, but following on from the discussion, some time ago I suddenly had trouble with Chrome on W.8.1 with accessing a site (Old Maps). I could still get the site, but often (not always) if I tried to search for a place it hung and would not search. I could always get site to work properly on IE. I asked the site's team if they ahd altered anything and they said nothing that would do this . A sgort time ago IE suddenly seemed to go from the computer, disappeared from taskbar and I couldn't seem to find it. Tried to download it again from net and ket getting told that that version was not suitable for my computer. As I only used it for one thing (old maps) and could always use Firefox for that purpose, I did no more. however , since then I have never had any trouble on Chrome. so it looks like there was some interaction between the two systems which caused the problem

I've used Windows 10 since July 2015 and generally run it very much like Windows 7 with desktop and task bar, etc. I recently noticed my young grandaughter runs Windows 10 differently always using the 'Start Screen'. I'm always keen to keep up to date so I had a go and now a press on my 'Windows Key' gives me my 'Start Screen' below and it works well !
MyLenStart.jpg

Having come to Windows10 from Windows8 I have always used the "Start Screen" but I only have two sub groups/categories, I call them "This" "and That"! How do you create eight sub groups?

Hi devonjim,
I suppose we all use our computers slightly differently and in ways we feel comfortable with.
On my 'Start Screen' I drag the tile downwards out of it's group and it creates a new group with a line to insert a new group title. It needs a bit of practice but once done it becomes easy.
The amount of tiles depends on the screen dimensions. The tile pic in post#611 is of my large screen desktop computer. A pic below shows the 'Start' on my 15" laptop, not so much space but a scroll down reveals more tiles. I always use a wireless mouse with laptops and use it's wheel to scroll.

The Edge browser settings (top right 3 dots) provides the option to pin a tile for any web page to the 'Start' and some websites have fancy icons ... you can have a group of tiles for all your favourite BHF threads !

The Edge browser is now my second choice after Chrome and it now has extensions from the Microsoft store, and on my devices it looks almost the same as Chrome. You can import all the bookmarks from Chrome or from IE.

My Laptop 'Start'
Lapstart.jpg

Last edited:
A bit like a Rubik cube! I realised that the tiles could be rearranged but had not realised that there were more places where titles/headings could be inserted. Now having a go at moving these title spaces to an arrangement that suits my useage.

I`ve bought my wife a new desktop pc with win 10. I an connect via wireless ( & have tried ethernet cable ) when i search for web pages it brings up a list ok, but i can`t connect to any of the web pages. I`ve checked the network driver & it`s up to date, so now i`m lost & her indoors is not very happy! Can someone help.

Cannot Connect to Web Pages

Ping an Internet address

1. Open a Windows command line or open a terminal shell, depending on your operating system.
  2. At a prompt, type: ping computerhope.com
No response from computerhope.com
If you do not receive a response, try pinging the computerhope.com IP address by typing the command ping 45.79.151.23 at the prompt.

Response from IP

If you receive a response from the IP address, but not the domain computerhope.com, you are encountering a problem with your DNS, which translates the domain to an IP address. Open your router configuration and make sure the DNS address and other addresses for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) are correct.

No response from IP

If you get no response from the IP address and the computerhope.com address, nothing is being sent over your network. If your are on a home network, unplug the power to your router and broadband modem. Leave them unplugged for ten seconds and then plug them in again. After the modem and router have powered up and re-connected, test your Internet again.

If resetting the power to the devices still does not help, open your router configuration and make sure the settings for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) are right. You can contact your ISP for help with making sure the router settings are correct.

If this is a corporate network, contact the network administrator, as there may be a problem with the network that only they can resolve.

I receive a response or packets from computerhope.com
If you receive a response or packets from computerhope.com, try opening computerhope.com in your Internet browser. If the Computer Hope web page opens fine, but another web page does not open, it is a problem with that page or a filter is preventing the page from opening. Use our IsItUp tool to test if a web page is accessible outside your network.

If computerhope.com does not open in your browser, try an alternative browser. For example, if you are using Internet Explorer, try opening computerhope.com in a different browser like Firefox or Chrome. If computerhope.com opens in an alternative browser, but not your primary browser, it is a problem with your browser and not your Internet.

Web pages not opening in any Internet browser
If web pages will not open in any Internet browser, your computer may have a virus or malware infection. Some viruses and malware will prevent web pages from opening or loading in any Internet browser. It is recommended that you check for and remove viruses or malware potentially on your computer. This may resolve the issue and allow you to open web pages again.

Another option is to access the Safe Mode with Networking option for Windows and try opening a web page in any Internet browser. If you can successfully open a web page in safe mode, the issue may be a process that only runs in normal Windows mode. For instance, this may be a defective device driver, or a network setting that is only active in normal Windows mode. It may also indicate a virus or malware infection, as some viruses and malware are not active in safe mode.

hope this helps

If you can connect to the Internet, but no web pages open when connected, follow the steps below.

Ping an Internet address
  1. Open a Windows command line or open a terminal shell, depending on your operating system.
  2. At a prompt, type: ping computerhope.com
No response from computerhope.com
If you do not receive a response, try pinging the computerhope.com IP address by typing the command ping 45.79.151.23 at the prompt.

Response from IP

If you receive a response from the IP address, but not the domain computerhope.com, you are encountering a problem with your DNS, which translates the domain to an IP address. Open your router configuration and make sure the DNS address and other addresses for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) are correct.

No response from IP

If you get no response from the IP address and the computerhope.com address, nothing is being sent over your network. If your are on a home network, unplug the power to your router and broadband modem. Leave them unplugged for ten seconds and then plug them in again. After the modem and router have powered up and re-connected, test your Internet again.

If resetting the power to the devices still does not help, open your router configuration and make sure the settings for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) are right. You can contact your ISP for help with making sure the router settings are correct.

If this is a corporate network, contact the network administrator, as there may be a problem with the network that only they can resolve.

I receive a response or packets from computerhope.com
If you receive a response or packets from computerhope.com, try opening computerhope.com in your Internet browser. If the Computer Hope web page opens fine, but another web page does not open, it is a problem with that page or a filter is preventing the page from opening. Use our IsItUp tool to test if a web page is accessible outside your network.

If computerhope.com does not open in your browser, try an alternative browser. For example, if you are using Internet Explorer, try opening computerhope.com in a different browser like Firefox or Chrome. If computerhope.com opens in an alternative browser, but not your primary browser, it is a problem with your browser and not your Internet.

Web pages not opening in any Internet browser
If web pages will not open in any Internet browser, your computer may have a virus or malware infection. Some viruses and malware will prevent web pages from opening or loading in any Internet browser. It is recommended that you check for and remove viruses or malware potentially on your computer. This may resolve the issue and allow you to open web pages again.

Another option is to access the Safe Mode with Networking option for Windows and try opening a web page in any Internet browser. If you can successfully open a web page in safe mode, the issue may be a process that only runs in normal Windows mode. For instance, this may be a defective device driver, or a network setting that is only active in normal Windows mode. It may also indicate a virus or malware infection, as some viruses and malware are not active in safe mode. hope this helps

Thanks for your help Chris. My dear wife, could see i was getting frustrated so she suggested "try a restore" The pc is only 3 days old & i didn`t think a restore would be of any help, but i restored it to 31/12/2016 & knock me down with a feather it worked! Web pages are loading ok. I guess i`d better buy her a box of chocs & always listen to a womans advice.

Some info for anyone who uses the Edge browser ....
Sorting and arranging favourites (bookmarks) in the Edge browser can be a pain but an App called EdgeManage can make it easy and with it you can make Edge look just like Chrome. Information about it is here https://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html
At the bottom of the article the app named SetupEdgeManage.exe can be downloaded.
It can also generate the bookmark icons normally seen with Chrome, and because it is an App it can be pinned as a tile to the Start screen.

I bought my acer desk top PC about 18 m0nths ago from PC world, I think the OS was 8.1 and have since upgraded free to the more superior (in my opinion) windows OS 10, if I perform a 'restore' to clear problems will it restore to Windows OS 8.1 and if so will I then have to purchase windows OS 10 software ?? Eric

Hi Eric, Your computer will have a licence for Windows 10 and it will stay as Windows 10. Do not use any Recovery Partition that came with your computer because that partition would restore it to factory settings which might be Win 8.1.

Use the Windows 10 Settings 'Update & security' page and choose the 'Reset this PC' option I've circled below. I have done this as mentioned in some of my posts in this thread but it is rarely necessary.

You have two options
Recovery keeping all your files, photos, and programs.
or
A full recovery which reinstalls a clean copy of Windows 10 but you have to reinstall your programs.

Whichever one you choose it is advisable to back up important files and photos etc.

oldmohawk
recover.JPG

System restore takes the system back to one of the "restore points" that are usually created when you make adjustments to the software on the computer. With a little luck you should have several of these from after you upgraded to Windows 10. What you need to do is work out when you started having whatever problem it is and restore to a time before that. Whether this becomes windows 8 will depend on when you installed windows 10.
There are other options if your system is still working.
If you have a DVD burner and a good broadband connection you can try to create a windows 10 installation disk. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade
If you can get the computer working well on Windows 10 you can create a System Backup. https://tjosepraveenblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/easy-steps-how-to-back-up-windows-10-system/

Just a point about the previous two posts - 'system recovery' is not the same as 'system restore'. Try 'restore' first. To access 'restore' go to Control Panel - System. Click 'System Protection' on the left of the page and select the System Protection tab. Click the System Restore 'button' then 'next' and if restore is active you should see the most recent restore point. Then tick 'show more restore points' to get more choices.

An icon or start tile can be made for 'Create a Restore Point' and 'Restore to Earlier Time' with the method described in post#430. In post#582 I described a clean install of Windows but I used a USB stick instead of DVD. I have also used the built in 'Reset this PC' in Settings once keeping all my files and another time as mentioned in post#422 where I did not keep my files but as shown in the post Microsoft send a list (some with links) of what has been removed.
I now find Windows 10 has settled down and is a reliable operating system .... even EDGE is nice to use and can be made to look and work just like Chrome .... :)

Thanks oldMohawk, have made a note of your advice, I thought that was how it functioned but was not sure. Have not had any major problems with OS 10 (touch wood) and have now adapted to it. Some time ago I had an engineer in from 'PC Pal' ((I'd recommend them to anybody)to clear a fault on my CD/DVD player and while he was there he installed a DVD in another drawer which is now constantly backing up my files (I wondered what that drawer was for!) although I still every so often back up my pics and docs on a CD/DVD to make doubly sure. Thanks again for advice. Eric

I keep receiving little messages in my Win 10 Action Centre from Microsoft so they must be watching me and have noticed I am a Chrome user ....:cool:
Screenshot (121).jpg

Back