• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Roughton / Shortt Family

DebbieL

Good afternoon,

This is my first time on this wonderful site, I was told to join as I had posted a query on some pages on another Birmingham page.

My dad, who was born 1943 was born to Arthur Roughton and Rosina Shortt, Rosina sadly died aged 27 in 1945, apart from one photo and their marriage cert, my dad has no other info on her and although he has loads of Roughton (Paternal) family he would love to know whether he has any maternal family still in Birmingham. I would love for him to find out he has maternal family.

This is the only info he has:

Rosina Shortt, born c1918/19 Ireland, Married Birmingham, fathers name Patrick Shortt (no occupation listed), address at time of marriage Cliff Rock Road, Northfield, he was told she may have had a brother also living in Birmingham , possibly also called Patrick (although not 100% sure).

Dad grew up in Alfred Street, Sparkbrook (with his father & step-mum) and attended Dennis Road School.

Any info on the SHORTT family would be lovely.

many thanks

I have no way of knowing if this is the right person but there was a Patrick J Shortt listed on the electoral rolls up to 1955 (end of online records) at 112 Cleeve Road. He was listed with a Doris. There is a marriage of Doris Ulett to Patrick Shortt listed in 1935. There seems to be a death for Patrick Joseph Shortt in Sep 1974. I found a possible death for Doris in 1982. There are 3 possible births of children named Shortt with Mother's maiden name as Ulett; Sheila born 1937, Ann born 1939 and Patrick born 1945. Perhaps you could try following the children - Patrick may be easiest. As I said at the start this may be the wrong family but Shortt with 2 ts does not come up often.

I have no way of knowing if this is the right person but there was a Patrick J Shortt listed on the electoral rolls up to 1955 (end of online records) at 112 Cleeve Road. He was listed with a Doris. There is a marriage of Doris Ulett to Patrick Shortt listed in 1935. There seems to be a death for Patrick Joseph Shortt in Sep 1974. I found a possible death for Doris in 1982. There are 3 possible births of children named Shortt with Mother's maiden name as Ulett; Sheila born 1937, Ann born 1939 and Patrick born 1945. Perhaps you could try following the children - Patrick may be easiest. As I said at the start this may be the wrong family but Shortt with 2 ts does not come up often.
Thank you so much for this information.

Back