• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

A few bars I don't remember at all. Maybe they were short-lived. Or maybe they changed their name ? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 16
Spira lasted a few years. It was a bit of an experiment into producing a bar by extrusion, which would not need the tempering of normal chocolate around the 1990s. The Tangerine was one of a group with different flavoured centres, sort of a succespr to the Frys fruit centred bars, but smoother centre inside. There was alsp one larger bar with a selection of different flavoured centress. Go did not last long. It was a precursor of the Brunch bar, and supposedly more healthy . (!!) I think I can remember the toffee buttons, an gain think they only lasted a year or so. the rumba and Ticket I cannot remember. they might have only been test launched in certain areas and not nationally released.

Thanks Everyone, I looked at the websites but still no nearer remembering the contents. However, I had forgotten about the flat boxes of miniature chocolate blocks (both plain and milk) and the little slot machines you put them into. I played for ages with mine.

So not buttons Viv as I would've had mine before I went to senior school in 1958. I must look up when flakes came out, they may have been included.

Cadbury's flake was launched in 1920 so I would think these were included. So - that's a full sized Dairy Milk, a Crunchie (?) a fudge and a flake.

Tried to find some information in the newspaper archives, but not much post 1950. Was surprised to find that before WW2 Eowntrees seem to be the selection boxes mentioned and they sold them for the Easter & Christmas markets.

Hi Mike, I discovered that Rowntrees stopped producing selection boxes in the 1940's and didn't start again until much later, way past the period I'm talking about. However, as Cadbury's took over Fry's I'm wondering if there was a Turkish Delight included. I wouldn't have bothered with this as I don't like the stuff. I think that despite the takeover it was still marketed as Fry's.

One of the other things under discussion was the Cadbury's Milk Tray bar. The disagreement was whether there were 6 centres or 8. The site you referenced about clearly showed 8. So - Caramel, Hazelnut Whirl, Turkish Delight, Strawberry Cream and maybe Nougat (or nuggit as we pronounced it).

Picnic bar! This was released in 1958 and I'm sure the selection boxes had one of those as I remember them being a bit tough to get your teeth into if they were cold. And our house was always cold, especially in the front room where the Christmas tree was with all the presents underneath!

Definitely now remember Flakes being in there as they were very messy to eat.

Don't remember Turkish Delight. Something I would definitely remember as I love the stuff.

Had one of the Cadbury slot machines too. Think it took a penny for each small chocolate. Was disappointed no-one ever re-stocked mine.

Re. Cadbury Milk Tray bar - looks like 8 sections to me. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think it unlikely that Turkish delight would have been in it. Apart from (I think) that was a more adult-preferred countline, it was also , at that time, an expensive bar to produce, because Frys made a big point of using genuine Otto of Rose flavour in the centre.
(the Cadbury version in their Milk Tray did not use it). I don't believe, since being taken over by the Americans, that they now use it , but only bog-cheap artificial flavour.

Just a thought which might help our research, did Cadbury's always use the apostrophe? If it was originally 'Cadbury' when did they start using the apostrophe ? Or maybe it's always been there. Viv.

No Mike, I think you're right - I was unsure about Turkish Delight and Viv I think the Picnic bar might be a bit late for me. I suppose I'm thinking early 50's to about the time this bar came out. Parker (who is of an later vintage than me) is unsure about Picnics too.

Viv
Up till sometime after WW2 the firm was actually called Cadbury Bros., so the apostrophe did not apply in official documentation. But where the word Cadbury's was used, as far as I can see, it always had the apostrophe. Attached is a van from 1906 where the apostrophe is used on the side, and posters from 1853, and Cocoa Essence pictures from 1866, in all of which the apostrophe is used.
However, in early days sometimes just Cadbury was used , as can be seen on the side of the steam lorry in 1904 and the box of chocolates from 1866

Attachments

• Cadbury's cocoa essence from 1866.jpg
    Cadbury's cocoa essence from 1866.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Great Exhibition 1853 002.jpg
    Great Exhibition 1853 002.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Cadbury steam lorry 1904.jpg
    Cadbury steam lorry 1904.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Cadburys van 1906.jpg
    Cadburys van 1906.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Cadbury box 1866.jpg
    Cadbury box 1866.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Everyone, I looked at the websites but still no nearer remembering the contents. However, I had forgotten about the flat boxes of miniature chocolate blocks (both plain and milk) and the little slot machines you put them into. I played for ages with mine.

So not buttons Viv as I would've had mine before I went to se

senior school in 1958. I must look up when flakes came out, they may have been included.

crikey pen i had forgotton all about those little slot machines...i also played for hours with them...great fun

lyn

Thanks Mike. So the apostrophe isn't an indicator of date on packaging. Back to the drawing board. But do like the the wooden box of Chocolats les Delices aux Fruits. Imagine they were very tasty. And a clever presentation box too. Viv.

If its good enough for the lawyer (and with a very clear apostrophe) that's good enough for me ! Viv.

I looked at Robert Opie's collection of Cadbury's packaging but forgot to save the link! (Hypnotised by all those happy memories!)
rosie.

Regarding the apostrophe I noticed that where Cadbury's is used there follows the words cocoa or chocolate i.e. one of their products. However where the name Cadbury appears (on the road vehicle) it is followed by a place name. I know Bournville was a Cadbury created place but I am sure some will notice the reasoning here. ;)

Maybe you mean the sixpenny packs of cadburys flat pack of little squares of chocolate
The packet you slid to open it was flat pack 21 little cubes of chocolate for a tanner a box
Flat pack twenty they was called Alan,, Astonian,,,

This view of Bournville station shows a crowded platform of people just alighting from the train in 1931. I don't think it's workers arriving for work as they're very well dressed, there's a policeman in view and there ar schoolchildren amongst the crowd. Looks like a special event to me. Any ideas?

Love the ladies hats!

Viv.

image.jpeg

viv knowing how cadburys looked after their workers i would think it could be a workers and their family outing for the day

lyn

I agree, it is an outing and they appear to have just got off the train. That might mean something special taking place in Bournville or they have just returned from a day out. Whatever the reason they are all giving the camera a tremendous smile.

I think passengers were leaving the train. Possibly going to the centenary event shown below
cadbury centenary 1931.jpg

Thanks all. I think Mike has it! The policeman on the station suggests an important event. So the Centenary looks most probable.

Pedrocut's newspaper clip about excursions is interesting. Looks like visitors only had to show their train ticket to see around Cadburys. Viv.

I think passengers were leaving the train. Possibly going to the centenary event shown below
View attachment 111904

The centenary celebrations took place in June 1931 and there is a report that says that 9,000 workers and their friends gathered on the men's recreation ground adjoining the huge dining block with its flower decked balconies and Terrace.

£50,000 in National Savings Certificates were distributed among the employees, and an open space given to the City for a hospital extension and recreational purposes.

There was a congratulatory message from the Governor of the Gold Coast, "with the prosperity of which colony the great Bournville industry is closely bound up."

The Cadbury involvement in the Gold Coast is something which does not seem to mentioned very frequently. It is about this time that the farmers in the Gold Coast felt that the were being economically exploited.

https://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.605814

Pedrocut
Your link was down for maintenance but will read later. the farmers may have thought then that they were being exploited, but after independence, they had an even greater exploitation. Previously the farmers had their beans purchased by the companies at a price which certainly gave the buying companies a profit but was probably reasonable. however, after independence the Ghana government set up a Buying Board with a flat rate price which was low and did not alter, the excess money made by the Board supposedly being invested in the cocoa industry. Some was used usefully, but much was wasted, which the farmers knew. When I was in Ghana in 1973 the farmers were continually regretting the new setup and saying they wished Cadbury would come back

I think the 1931 Centenary a highly likely candidate for Post 332.
In pre nationalization, and WW2 days, one of the responsibilities of Station Masters was to drum up trade for the railway by arranging and advertising excursions. These excursions were fairly regular so the fact that a picture was taken and a policeman there to keep the peace ;) does suggest something out of the ordinary.

Found this box when sorting out photographs - it's obviously pre-decimalisation but how long before? It has CDM on but I don't remember 1/2d bars. Can anyone help date it please?

Back