• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barford St Deritend

Lindagarr

Brummie babby
Hi all, thanks for letting me join the group, this is my first post so I am hoping it is in the right place. I have read the previous threads on Barford St. According to the 1911 Census my family were living at 12 Barford St. There is a family story that prior to being rehoused in Alum Rock, a member of the family known as Grandad Bertie (but not a Grandparent) had a small scrap yard in Barford St and refused to move with the family, preferring to take up residents at the scrap yard instead. Does anyone have any information on the scrap yard or Grandad Bertie.

Hi Lingarr

The only scrapyard I remember on Barford Street was Thomas's that was between Macdonald St & Gooch St. They were there quite a few years to my knowledge.

Welcome Linda. Hope you enjoy the forum. In case you haven't seen photos of Barford Street before it was demolished there are many photos of the courts on this link. Just type in Barford in the white box. Sadly there's nothing on there of the scrapyard but they might be of general interest. Viv.

https://damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com/

Hi Linda - do you know roughly when the family moved to Alum Rock? It might narrow down the search a bit. The Thomas' scrap yard (as in #2) were there in 1915 and still listed in 1940.
Janice

Janice

Thomas's scrap yard was there until the 80's at least, though I think Jimmy Thomas took a partner in the early 70's that's when they invested in an overhead crane.

Thanks Phil. I was going by Kelly's and started around the date Linda mentioned. That was the only scrapyard I found listed.
Janice

A family discussion with 2 very old Aunts has resulted in the possibility of the name Frank Swindale for 'Grandad Bertie'. Does anyone have any info about the Atkins/Swindale family in Barford St and Cheapside up to 1930?

1920 electoral roll has Frank Swindale listed at 35 Cheapside. When I checked the list it also has Selina and John Atkins at the same address.
1927 has John and Florrie Atkins at 35 with Frank.
1930 has John, Florence (the elder), Florence (the younger), Selina and Frank Swindale. There is a possible death for Frank aged 83 in 1938.
Janice

Selina & john Atkins and Frank Swindale were at 35 Cheapside 1920-1930,and in 1930 there was also florence Atkins the younger and Florence Atkins the older there.

Back