• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

I do remember the church in question, only from the outside I fear, it was just before Court Rd and if I remember correctly a small place set back from the road slightly. It was opposite the RC school on the corner of Evelyn Rd. I'm pretty sure that the building itself lasted until at least this century, but the whole site is now covered by a Sikh Gurdwara.

Thank you Phil. I feel sad that the Church of Christ building is no longer there. I was a member there for around twenty years until I moved from the area. It was a lively, thriving church during those years and also had a Friday club for young people which I loved. A formative part of my life. The members there were like a family. I remember the RC church too, and many people who went there. Hope to hear more about the general area of Sparkhill in earlier days.

I wonder if there are any Birmingham people who would remeber the Infant and Junior school facing Farm Road Sparkbrook Birmingham. I was a pupil there about 1941 and wondered if it was possible to aquire records of the pupils who attended. A Uncle of mine who was 6 yrs my senior was at that school when I started and I would love to find him, even a record od his attendance would be gratefully received. If anyone out there can help me I would beso grateful:) Hopefully JoanH

My father Norman Trebble and his sister Doris attended this school in the 1920's, they lived nearby on Braithwaite Rd. I have an exercise book with the name of Joseph Green who presumably was a friend of my father. Clearly there can be very few survivors of this generation but I would love to find out what became of Joseph. I visited the area a couple of years ago to see where my father lived- h101_0681.jpgow it must have changed- the school replaced by a modern building of course. I doubt any records exist and there is no 'friends re-united' group for this school. However the records office in the city were very helpful in finding the location of my Grandparents graves in Key Hill cemetery so I may call them when I next visit.

Re David Lilley. He and his brothers are my cousins although I haven't seen them for coming on for 70 years! Their father, Walter was my uncle and I thought that he was the caretaker or Church Warden. I used to go to Sunday School but it was mainly held in the Memorial Hall and not in the Church. I seem to recall that one of the brothers, Ray I think, had a Greengrocers shop on the Stratford Road in Shirley at some time in the past.

Re 3 Highland Terrace. My G/G'parents were living there in 1891 and G/G'mother was still there in 1911, a widow with 2 boarders. My G'mother lived in 93 Dolobran Road when she was married and subsequently my Aunt, Uncle and cousin lived there until 1950's. I visited No 93 on many occasions. I used to go to Sunday School at Christ Church although it was often held in the Memorial Hall.

Hi re Church of Christ at Sparkhill.
When it closed it was bought and became a temple using the original facade. The building was replaced fairly recently...can't remember the year.

The Church of Christ that was on Moseley Road (now Moslem Students accomodation) closed. The congregation joined the URC and with the Anglican church (think it was St Paul') became part of the Balsall Heath Church Centre on Mary St./Edward Road.

The Church of Christ in Nechells still exists and is part of the Fellowship of Churches of Christ in Gt Britain & Ireland as we chose mot to join the URC at the beginning of the 1980s.

All the Birmingham churches of Christ used to join up especially the youth...chances are I might remember you

I believe that the Churches of Christ movement joined with the United Reformed in 1981.

I too was a member of the Sparkhill Church of Christ and can remember many of the things stated by others. I recall that there were churches in Erdington, Gt Francis Street, Bournville and on Moseley Road. I remember the theological college in Selly Oak and weekends for us young folk in Barnes Close near Romsey. I recall also the Whit Conventions we held in Nottingham and Leicester.

Although I moved away from Birmingham many years ago, I'm still in touch with a couple of my old friends from those days.

My parents were married in christ church sparkbrook in 1957 although the original church is gone i am trying to get hold of a decent picture of the church if anyone knows of any

Thanks have seen a few but i want something detailed that i can sketch from to do a drawing for my mum and dad

Some of my wifes family were also married at Christ Church. We were researching her family history and read that the church was about to be demolished & went over to take some photographs - just in time! Very sad pictures but thought might be of interest.

PS: I see I've been promoted to a "proper brummie kid". Many thanks.

Attachments

• christ church 02.jpg
    christ church 02.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 29
  • christ church 05.jpg
    christ church 05.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 28
  • christ church 08.jpg
    christ church 08.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 28
I was a pupil at Christchurch infant school from 1936 to 1939,( when I was evacuated due to ww2)the entrance to the infant section was at the bottom of Long street,close to the Victoria pub,I also remember the coal fires in the winter with a substantial metal fire guard around them,when we were evacuated,corporation buses were used and we left outside the school in Long street on Sunday 1st Sept,on route to appleby magna in Leicestershire, Ray Evason.

hi ray thanks for your post....hope your evacuation was a pleasant one...i used to love our coal fires:)

all the best
lyn

jayf : a very late reply to your Post #37 from 2015 ....
I too attended Church of Christ in Sparkhill (on Stratford Road near Court Road junction). I went to their Sunday School in the early 1960s which was held in the small hall behind the church. I recall a number of Sunday School daytrips to places like Wicksteed Park in Northamptonshire.
And I also went to the Friday evening club called F.O.Y. (Fellowship of Youth). The club was run by 2 older girls when I went there - I think their names were Eileen and Sue.

Oh gosh! I am just perusing where I lived as a child and so sad to see that, I think the lovely church I went to as a child has been demolished?!! That soooo should not have been allowed to happen!
Could anyone confirm that this is the lovely church that I walked from St Johns Church of England primary school on stratford rd, (in the 70's) with our harvest festival hampers in our arms, it seemed such a long walk when I had little legs! I loved that so much, the church was dressed lovely, I can remember straw decorations, the lovely smell of the place, the rows of boxes of goodies that we took, which I think went to the elderly. Such fond memories.

BrummieJayne .... might you have visited the harvest festival at St John's Church, rather than Church of Christ? You would have walked past Church of Christ to get there (it would have been twice the distance for your little legs!). If so, rest assured that St John's was still standing when I last went down that way.
Old picture of St John's attached.Sparkhill St Johns Church c1912.jpg

My parents lived at 93 Dolobran Road and occupied that house from 1946 until my father's death in 2000. Most of our family attended Christ Church and supported many associated events in the adjacent Memorial Hall, including the annual summer garden parties and Christmas bazaars. It was very much a community church. My wife and I were married there on 27th December 1965 and have been blessed with a long marriage. Unfortunately the tornado was able to inflict more damage on the church than the Axis Powers did. Such a pity.

Back