• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blakesley Hall

if i lived closer viv i would not mind having a go...bit too far out for me..

lyn

I am doing some family history for my mums 60th as a "this is your life." I have just found out that Charles Hopkins is my mums Great Great Grandad.
Is there any way I can find out if there are any photos of him as I would love to add them to her book?
Will definatly be visiting blakesley Hall with my mum.
Also if the lady with the will of Charles Hopkins has a copy or photo of the will I would also love to add that to my mums book.
Many thanks
Lisa x

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum. I wonder if you're related to anorak147 then? Have you tried sending the member a message? They haven't posted since 2011, but you never know! And hopefully Jennyann will see your post about Charles' will. Jennyann is an active member. Good luck.

If you can add anything more about the Hopkins family and Blakesley Hall please tell us about it. We'd love to hear more. Thanks. Viv.

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum. I wonder if you're related to anorak147 then? Have you tried sending the member a message? They haven't posted since 2011, but you never know! And hopefully Jennyann will see your post about Charles' will. Jennyann is an active member. Good luck.

If you can add anything more about the Hopkins family and Blakesley Hall please tell us about it. We'd love to hear more. Thanks. Viv.

Hi Viv
Thanks for the reply, how do I see posts from the member anorak147?

This is the information I have found
Charles Hopkins born 14th Aug 1815 married Elizabeth Standley born 25th April 1821
They had four children
Elizabeth Hopkins born 22nd Nov 1841
Catherine Hopkins born 21st July 1844
John Standley Hopkins born 28th March 1846 ( my mums great grandad )
Rhonda Jane Hopkins born 15th Dec 1847.

Charles Hopkins died aged 33 on 27th April 1849
His wife Elizabeth then went on to marry Joseph Dallaway who was a worker on the farm at Blakesley Hall and they had a son together.

In the 1851 census the four children of Charles and Elizabeth Hopkins lived with their Grandmother Sarah Standley at Blakesley Hall.

I also believe that Charles father lived at Blakesley Hall before him.

Lisa x

Hi Lisa. Thanks for the information. Adds some nice information about the farm. I know the Hall itself was originally a farm. Is the farm you're referring to a farm for the Hall? If so do you know where it was in relation to the Hall?

If you go back to post #33 on this thread you'll see the post made by anorak147. She signed it Karen. If you want to send her a message, open the tag marked 'Inbox' on the blue bar at the top of the page. Then select start a conversation. If you insert the name anorak147 you can start a conversation. But like I say she hasn't posted on here since 2011, fingers crossed she reads your message. Viv.

My husband & I bought our first house just around the corner from Blakesley Hall, Clements Rd.. actually.
We had our wedding reception at the Blakesley Pub. We often visited the hall, but I expect it has been improved since 1962. My father new the Hall and the area well as a boy, and he told us that rumour had it that there was a secret tunnel from a priests hole in the Hall, leading to Yardley Old Church. Don't think anyone ever found it though.

Old Acsonian, I would find it hard to believe there would be a tunnel from Blakesley Hall to Yardley Old Church as the lye of the land from Blakesley Hall goes downhill some way to Stoney Lane, then sharply uphill to the church probably about 3/4 of a mile away, quite some engineering achievement for the time, and all done in secret.
I was born in Clements Rd at the newsagents shop run by my Mum and Dad, though well before your time living there.

Old Acsonian, I would find it hard to believe there would be a tunnel from Blakesley Hall to Yardley Old Church as the lye of the land from Blakesley Hall goes downhill some way to Stoney Lane, then sharply uphill to the church probably about 3/4 of a mile away, quite some engineering achievement for the time, and all done in secret.
I was born in Clements Rd at the newsagents shop run by my Mum and Dad, though well before your time living there.

I agree with you entirely about the lie of the land regarding a secret tunnel. We lived next to those shops. No.54 but I understand that house has gone and a new estate is where the old allotments were.

rsz__sc00650.jpgrsz__sc00643.jpg
visted here last week the tour was great and abit of a laugh, love the history of this place
if u get chance get a vist in soon, hope u like the photos

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve been looking at my family history and I’ve been told my Great Great Grandad Walter fire service helmet was once on display at the hall. Wondered if anyone had any information on this?

Thanks,
Adam

Back