• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cowper Street

P

paraman

Hi Folk's,
Since joining the site, I have spent quite a few hours trawling round various sections and forums. (Great fun):D

I was looking at my old address in Summer Lane, and also the infants school in Cowper Street, I couldn't see it on any of the maps I was looking at, so I went on to the Satellite maps and was shocked at what I saw.

The house I used to live in, is now a car park for some factory or other,
on the opposite side of the road, where the CO_OP and the Vine Pub,and sweet shop were, is green open space.

Cowper Street has disappeared completely,:( can anyone out there tell me when it was, demolished "etc"??

paraman

Yes paraman it is a shock, There are two Old Cowper Boys members here John who will spot you soon and Albert Wayne who was in the School Play with me, John is a regular and Fun, Albert I think has only posted about 4 times.

John Houghton posted last week a new site for Summer Lane and that has quite a few Cowper photos on it but it still under construction.

Found it paraman.

https://www.memoriesofsummerlane.co.uk/index.php

Click on Summer Lane School then other Schools in the Area and there is a couple of Cowper Street

Last edited:
Thanks Alf,

I have sent for some books from Amazon on the area, should arrive by Thursday, hopefully some good photo's "etc" in them.

John has already contacted me, he seems as quick as his Avatar:D.

paraman

Yo Para-m8,:) Faster than an Electric bolt lol,,
Left Cowper Street J & I in 1961,, used to live in next Street off Summer Lane,,Ormond St
Good to see you return,,,JohnY:cool:

Hi Guys, think I'm from a bit later than you lot - left Cowper St School in July '68 and also Gladstone Terrace r/o 146 Guildford St November '68. I remember that we were one of the last families to be moved out of our terraced back to back and had loads of empty houses all around us.

Dave P

Yo Dave :) Yep i guess they knocked down the "Posh" Guildford St houses from the
Palm Tree lined end of Summer Lane,,,last :D
Bet you made a fortune off the old Lead pipes & Window sash weights though,,;)
If i had still been around there,,ya wudna got a sniff,,, lol Johny:cool:

Dave P welcome to the Cowper Street Gang,

My Gran lived in 12 Guildford Terrace, Guildford Street till she married then moved to 5 Ashford Street and my Dad was born there and I lived in Newtown Row by the Big Wheel.:)

Left Cowper Street 1947

Hi Dave,

Yes you were a bit behind us, in may 68 I got demobbed, do you have any photo's of Cowper Street as it was when you left??

paraman

John - yes the lead set us up for life (not)! I was obviously too young or "too good" to even think about doing that!!

Alf - thanks for the welcome

Paraman - sorry no photos at all of Cowper St School. The only pictures I've seen are all on this wonderful site, some great memories have been reawakened.

Cheers

Dave

hi folks. just read yer posts and i noticed a couple of you lived in guildford st. ive got a few photos of that street. if you are intersted let me know and i will post them under the streets and neighbours thread guildford street. wales.:)

Hi Guys, think I'm from a bit later than you lot - left Cowper St School in July '68 and also Gladstone Terrace r/o 146 Guildford St November '68. I remember that we were one of the last families to be moved out of our terraced back to back and had loads of empty houses all around us.

Dave P

Hi I know your post was ages ago but I am doing research for genealogy and Cowper street has come up, I'm struggling to find the person and wondered if you possibly remember any Roger's living in the area? I know it's a long shot but if you do please let me know. They lived at 1/66 Cowper street in 1948 that's the only reference I have.

Thanks Louise

Mossg
Looking at the 1889 map. I think it must be one of these courts here . As the edge of the building behind the houses on the right over on the rightnhand side overlaps slightly on the line of thehouses that side, and there is apaprently another building bedise it, and there is no trace of a wall/fence in the middle of the yard, I think you must be seeing the area in red on Andover place

eastendofcowperstmapc1889.jpg

Hi Jane I am happy to receive than and place them on the forum. The original could then be passed to someone with connections to Cow[er Street.

Bernie

hi jane and welcome to the forum....as bernie has already said it would be great if we could see the photos posted on here as there are quite a few members who went to cowper st school or had rellies who was there for the dates you mention...

many thanks jane

lyn

Hi, I'm new to the forum and came across it by chasing my family history. My Great Grandparents, Arthur & Annie Lewis, lived in Cowper Street. I have two addresses - 6 Burton Place and b/o 64 Cowper Street. Can anyone add any more detail or any idea where to head next

The two addresses are the same. Back no 64 is called Burton Place, and is shown on red hte the c 1950 map below

Attachments

• MAP C 1950 SHOWING no 6  BURTON PLACE. COWPER ST.jpg
    MAP C 1950 SHOWING no 6 BURTON PLACE. COWPER ST.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 44
Hi thawkes,this is the image missing from my earlier post, it shows the next yard to the one where your Great Grandparents lived.
I would think it looks almost identical.
mossg.
I am trying to upload a picture that disappeared when the site was hacked,but i am being told the file is too large. sorry thawkes

moss do you have my email address??..if so you can email me the photo and i will re size it and post it here...

lyn

thawks if you click on the photo it will enlarge then click on the arrow at the top right of the photo and it will enlarge more...

hope this helps

lyn

I lived at 4/38 cowper st does anyone remember the old nail factory being on fire and the explosion in late 50s early 60s

hi phil there is a better longer thread for cowper st with lots of photos...click on the link below to take you to it

lyn

Back