• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

chinn of darwin street

C

chinnychinn

still looking for any and all information on the chinn family of darwin street.also a john chinn who was a churchwarden at st martins

chin family

hi dont know if these are the chins your looking for but my great grandmother was emily chinn she had abrother henry who married sarah-anne and they had 2 children elsie rose and joeseph hope this may be of some use:)

Re: chin family

hi dont know if these are the chins your looking for but my great grandmother was emily chinn she had abrother henry who married sarah-anne and they had 2 children elsie rose and joeseph hope this may be of some use:)
Dear walshy,many apologies for not replying sooner but i have been off-line owing to a major heart op. havent had chance to look at these chinns yet but if you have any dates i would be pleased ,or where they lived. regards chinnychinn

sorry to hear about your operation hope your on the mend now:)my gg grandmother was emily chinn her father was joseph born abt 1819 and her mother was elizabeth born abt 1821 unfortunately we dont know her maiden name but both parents were born in birmingham.emily was the only girl of 10 children.thomas1841 joseph 1845 william john 1847 emily jane 1848 alfred 1852 albert 1854 john 1856 henry and harry 1858 and george 1861 they lived on darwin street.emily married charles howell in 1867 at st martins church and had a daughter selina we believe emily married again and became russell but from there we have hit a brick wall.if this is the same chinn family that you are researching and have any information on emily we would be very grateful if you would let us know :) thanks walshy

i think this could be my family. if so emilys mothers name would be faulconbridge b1821.still convalesing so will send more info later, thanks again

sorry to hear about your operation hope your on the mend now:)my gg grandmother was emily chinn her father was joseph born abt 1819 and her mother was elizabeth born abt 1821 unfortunately we dont know her maiden name but both parents were born in birmingham.emily was the only girl of 10 children.thomas1841 joseph 1845 william john 1847 emily jane 1848 alfred 1852 albert 1854 john 1856 henry and harry 1858 and george 1861 they lived on darwin street.emily married charles howell in 1867 at st martins church and had a daughter selina we believe emily married again and became russell but from there we have hit a brick wall.if this is the same chinn family that you are researching and have any information on emily we would be very grateful if you would let us know :) thanks walshy
my grandfather was william john chinn b1847 and emilys mom would have been elizabeth faulkonbridge b1821 whos family lived in darwin street

hi chinnychin hope your getting better each day after your op :)was wondering how you got the information on emilys moms maiden name ?only we cant find anything to do with joseph chinn and elizabeth faulkonbridge walshy

hi we have now found our gggrandmother emily howell nee chinn thanks to the hard work of my brother in law he has even found out where she is buried so we can go and visit her grave, brilliant.....:):)

Hi Guys not sure if this helps, but could this be your Elizabeth from Darwin St?
Elizabeth Faulconbridge
Birth/Christening
Female: 07 MAR 1820 Aston,Deretend, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Parents:
Father: William Faulconbridge
Mother: Elizabeth

And here are some Chinn's from Darwin St 1841 Census
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Aston (Deritend)
Address: Darwin St Bordesley

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
CHINN Joseph M 20 Brass Founder Jrnymn Warwickshire
CHINN Ann F 20 Warwickshire Page:
CHINN Thomas M 6m Warwickshire

I think this Joseph married
ANN MASON
Marriage: 31 DEC 1839 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

Joseph seems to have been a very popular name for male Chinn's at that time, because there are also all these in 1841 all in very close proximity to one another
CHINN Joseph M 43 Brass Founder Warwickshire B'ham (St Mary)
CHINN Joseph M 45 Water Carrier Warwickshire B'ham (St Peter)
CHINN Joseph M 70 Shopkeeper Warwickshire B'ham (St Thomas)
CHINN Joseph M 20 Brass Founder Jrnymn Warwickshire Aston (Deritend) CHINN Joseph M 40 Cock Founder Warwickshire Aston (Duddeston)
CHINN Joseph M 4 Warwickshire Aston (Duddeston

Last edited:
thank you once again pomgolian for giving me more to look at. chinny chinn

i have been given a marriage date for william faulconbridge m elizabeth davis as 14/09/1813 at st phillips and i wondered if anyone could confirm this and perhaps see if any other info available.regards chinnychinn

hi, im trying to research my 3rd great grandma alice CHINN. possibly alice ann, and possibly baptised as alice kilvest/kilvert chinn. on her possible baptism her parents are joseph and jane. and marriage to robert turner 1873 father is joseph (deceased) fish rod manufacturer. my problem is that i cant find a joseph in either 1861 or 1871 census and i also cant find alice. all these are also warwickshire.

The Joseph who is listed on the baptism record for Alice Kelvert (?) is a labourer so it may not be the same one. Don't forget older censuses are more inaccurate and fewer people registered.
Janice

Last edited:
The baptism of Alice on 18th August 1856 bishop ryder has her name as
Alice Kilvest Chinn although no-one with that name registered she is baptised on the same day as Edward Kilvest Chinn, not unusual for siblings to be baptised together.
Searching for Edward i found in 1901,Edward Chinn age 46 in Adams Street, Fishing Rod maker.
1911 has him as Edward Gibbard? Chinn in Lord Street Fishing tackle manufacturer.
Could this be transcribers not reading the Handwriting correctly on 2 occasions
Edward G Chinn died in 1941 he had married Henrietta Chamberlain in 1874 so his marriage certificate might be of interest.

Last edited:
I think the 1911 census reads Gilbert! However, the baptism records do look more like Kilvert. The marriage for Edward and Henrietta names Edward as the Father.
Janice

Attachments

• Chinn marriage.JPG
    Chinn marriage.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
ha, I already looked at Edwards marriage to henrietta. he says his fathers name is Edward- cane and fishing rod maker.
but in 1861 he is living with Edward as a nephew, (in bishops ryder) although in 1871 he is named as son to Edward seniors wife mary.
witnesses to the marriage were john and ellen chamberlain.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe alice and Edward were bought up by their uncle Edward. alice could have been in service from a young age while Edward jnr took on the fishing rod profession.

The 1861 census is EDWIN Chinn and his nephew also called Edwin. Is this the one you meant? Did you decide the Edwin was an error?
1851 census has Edward and Mary as visitors in Nottinghamshire and he is a walking stick manufacturer.
Janice

Last edited:
Hi Janice. Yes sorry I should have said Edwin as that is what the census says. And probably not an error as such, perhaps that what was they told the enumerator that year.

I saw the one for walking stick maker and thought he may have done both , walking sticks were made of cane and that is what fishing rods were made of in those days.

Last edited:
Janice I cant find a Edward and mary in Nottingham. in 1851 ive got them in st luke, London. along with Edwards sister alice archer nee chinn and I think their mother ann.

can I run this past you. ;) there is a jane kilvert marries henry Richards 7 aug 1859. bishops ryder.
1861 census (25 brickiln lane)
henry Richard age 42 brass caster
jane Richard age 34 born Shropshire
a daughter alice, mistranscribed as age 1, really age 5
and a son William age 6m

do you think this could be my alice (kilvest) chinn.
adopted and baptised by uncle Edward along with brother Edward kilvest chinn)

I say baptised by uncle Edward as on the same day levina slack is baptised, and she is Edwards wifes daughter.

Sorry - that was my mistake - Mary was born in Nottingham. They were visiting Middlesex. Seems to be a daughter Leona!
Janice

Attachments

• chinn 1851.JPG
    chinn 1851.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 4
The problem with your Alice Richards is that she is on the 1871 census with Jane and Henry. Although I can see why you thought there might be a connection.
Janice

Yes I know she's on 1871 census with Jane. But there is no 1871 census for either Alice kilvert, or Alice chinn born 1856 that quite fits with my Alice.
My Alice then marries Rob Turner in 1873 aged just 17.
At stupid o clock last night I found a Joseph chinn died 1860 after 3 years in the lunatic asylum. Born 1823.

Jane kilvert was living at potter street at time of marriage to Henry Richards. The same place Alice kilvert chinn was living at time of baptism.

Sorry - that was my mistake - Mary was born in Nottingham. They were visiting Middlesex. Seems to be a daughter Leona!
Janice
that's ok. :) levina/levinia was the daughter of Alfred and mary slack, nee burton. baptised the same day as alice and Edward kilvest chinn.
Edward chinn (senior/1818) married mary slack 21 august 1857 at duddeston, Birmingham.
the other couple on the 1851 st luke, Middlesex census were james archer and alice archer nee chinn married 21 july 1851 at Shoreditch. also living at potter street, birmingham in 1861.

and finally. ;)
joseph chin marriage to sarah hencliffe, 19 june 1848. witness mary slack (nee burton later chin????)
abode Lichfield street.

1851 census
court, Lichfield street.
josh chime (should be jos then a little 'h' indicating joseph) born 1824 walking stick maker. born norwich
sarah chime nee hencliff. born Nottingham.
john forth age 17 - lodger.

sorry to have hijacked this post about Darwin street.
I will see if they link together at some point.

haha its certainly not a simple family to put together. I don't think they agreed with the usual marriage and baptism 'rules'.
I think I am right though. there are too many coincidences. I guess I need to purchase both Edward kilvest and alice kilvest chins birth certificates to be 100% (although ive seen lies on those too :) )

ive added it all to my ancestry tree (kibble and Hawksworth) as its easier sometimes to actually see it on a tree.

both alice and Edwards birth certificates came today. Edward was registered as just Edward, father joseph, a labourer, mother jane chin formerly kilvert, 18 potter street. Edward born 21 june 1854.
alice was registered as alice ann, father joseph, walking stick manufacturer, mother jane chin, formerly kilvert, 2 potter street. born 1 January 1856.
jane signed both documents with 'x'

Back