• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sinfield & Son

GEFF

Geff
Where can I find the details of a court case in 1940-41 at the Steelhouse Central Courts, would it be the Birmingham Mail or the Court Archives?

I spent a few months working for "Sinfields and Son Builders" almost opposite a bike shop. I also had 2 weeks at the Law Courts as witness to working on properties which were subject to fiddling. Did they go bust after that? I then found a decent job.

Geff,

The approximate date would help. Entering Sinfield & Sons into the London Gazette here
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/
gives 203 entries and I have to go out very shortly. If you like to check it yourself, please go ahead, otherwise I'll try again tomorrow.

Maurice

The 1940 Kellys shows Sinfield & Sons, builders at 77 Alum Rock Road, and nthey are still listed in the 1943 & 1944 editions, but had disappeared by the 1946 edition

Last edited:
Mike,

From my quick glance at the London Gazette, I got the feeling that they possibly went to the wall in the late 1940s, but I'll have a proper look tomorrow now as it is midnight here in Crete and we've only just got in.

Maurice

Geff,

Probably the British Library Newspaper Archives would be your best bet, but we will need a name of the accused.

Maurice :cool:

Geff,

Probably the British Library Newspaper Archives would be your best bet, but we will need a name of the accused.

Geff,

Where can I find the details of a court case in 1940-41 at the Steelhouse Central Courts, would it be the Birmingham Mail or the Court Archives?
Geff,

Geff,

Thanks Maurice, I was an apprentice joiner at the building firm of Sinfield and Son
on Alum Rock hill almost opposite the Picture House. They were fiddling the books when working on bomb repairs. The Father and son, and the Foreman went to prison. I had to find another firm to take me on. They did me a good turn without knowing it . I then worked for " Craftinwoods" in Ashted Row learnt a good trade and did well for myself. thanks again. GEFF
Geff,

Geff
There are quite a lot of reports in the newspaper archives. Below are clips from the Evening Despatch 27.10.42 at the initial appearence and the result from the assizes as reported in the Birmingham Gazette.14.12.1942

Birm Gazette.14.12.1942.jpgEvening despatch 27.10.1942.jpg

Thanks Mikejee, it brings back a lot of memories for me. The work was done on the roof of the Gaumomt Cinema and an Insurance Company in Steelhouse Lane, I was 15 at the time making it 79 years ago. That makes me feel old. Geff

Back