• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Old Boy,

If you're not into technicalities, then use whichever version of Windows that you are happy with. Those of us who are well into photo post-processing or sound recording do need to be careful what we use. Since you are not into technicalities, I won't take this any further.

Maurice

Old Boy,

If you're not into technicalities, then use whichever version of Windows that you are happy with. Those of us who are well into photo post-processing or sound recording do need to be careful what we use. Since you are not into technicalities, I won't take this any further.

Maurice
Old Boy,

Maurice
There apparently was another update to Win 10 this morning. I was happily watching TV when the sound disappeared again.
Only got the laptop back last Friday after the previous sound loss
I can watch TV on my tablet, but can't use Skype for which I have a subscription which runs out tomorrow.
I live in Spain, which is on holiday,so no chance of getting anything done until Monday at the earliest.
Really p....d off now.

It maybe a 'hardware' problem or a 'software' problem. With the sound suddenly going off while using it then it looks likely that it is a hardware problem. If it is 'software' such as a driver problem then the following usually works.

Right click on the the little window icon bottom left.
In the window which appears click on device manager.
Search for 'Audio inputs and outputs'
Click on the small arrow to the left of it which will expand to show 'speakers etc'.
Right click on that and then click on 'uninstall'.
This will uninstall your sound driver.

Now restart your computer and windows should automatically find a sound driver and install it.
ps: Have you accidentally pressed the 'mute' button on the keyboard ? It does happen occasionally ... I've done it myself.

Last edited:
Old Boy,

Maurice
Hi Maurice,
Message received and understood. I have to carry on with Windows 10 as it is the only one I have got.
Regards - Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi All, My daughter has recently given me her old computer which had been updated to Windows 10. Up to then I was using Vista. I do not understand all the technical jargon in the previous posts but can say that I am getting on better with Windows 10 than I did with Vista. Old Boy

One of the "problems" with Windows is that Microsoft often take longer to develop a new release of Windows than they thought it was going to take. The developers then get pressure from the marketing people to ship Windows before it is ready.

This happened with both Windows Vista and Windows 8.

Windows Vista was the follow on from Windows XP and Microsoft wanted to make major changes, but half way through the development they changed their mind again and made more major changes. When Windows Vista finally shipped it was not ready nor did it work very well. They then spent the next couple of years creating Vista fixes to try to sort out the problems.

When they finally shipped Windows 7 that is what Vista should have been which is why most people love Windows 7.

Similar things happened with Windows 8. They made major changes, did not test them well enough with users, and it got terrible reviews when it came out. Again they spent the next couple of years creating fixes to try to sort it out.

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been (and they had to give Windows 10 away for free to get everyone off Windows 8).

So "bad" releases of Windows are Vista and W8 so get off them if you can, "good" releases of Windows are 7 and 10 and stay on them if you can.

What a difference a fresh copy of Windows 10 makes …:)
I have previously mentioned problems with a new computer I bought with a final crash leaving me with Windows broken and unable to start as shown on screen in post#558. I had to use a laptop to download a copy of W10 to a usb stick and use it to boot and re-install W10 in the new computer.

Since then the computer has run intensively for several days with absolutely no problems. All previous programs have been re-installed including Norton AV which I suspect triggered the final crash. I can only assume that either the original W10 in the computer was corrupted or one of the many updates which always download into a new computer was corrupted.

Last edited:
With ref to the blue screen crash I showed in my post#558, it seems I was not the only one to have it. See post#6 in link below and looking at the file name I know it is connected with a certain AV program as it was in my computer. I think the AV company and Microsoft must have now sorted it because my computer is now running perfectly with the AV program re-installed.
https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/61782-bsod-bootup-error-code-0xc000000f.html

Microsoft have always had some kind of issue with the alternate versions of Windows desktop. People liked 98 and said Me was bad, XP good don't touch Vista, 7 good again 8 to be avoided. The oddity was that there was a lot said about 9 being the solution to all of the problems in 8 but somehow they decided that they didn't want to call the next version 9 and moved on to 10. Or was 10 supposed to be the alternate for 9 - the version that never was. From what I've heard about the volume of updates for 10, I wonder if the free upgrade was just a ploy to get people off the last good version before they realise that the next good one was the one that didn't happen.

In my current uninstall programs list, I have about a dozen Microsoft visual C ++ 2005 up to 2013. Do we really need all these or could I uninstall them all except for the latest. Would it cause problems?

Microsoft visual C ++ items are installed by programs and I have 10 of them, the earliest back to 2005. For the relatively small amount of disk space they take up I'm leaving mine. I suppose the worst that could happen is you might find a program would not work and a re-install would be needed to put the appropriate Microsoft visual C ++ back in place.

I know they are small and not causing any problems, and I never uninstall anything I am not sure about, it's just that I am a tidy up freak. Every so often I will go through the list and delete programs I never or very rarely use, but, sod's law you can almost guarantee that when I get rid of them there's always one that I wish I had kept.

Afraid I'm the opposite. Hate throwing things away. and would like to strangle the person at microsoft (or whereever) who installed the little program that asks occasionally if I want to get rid of rarely used ikons.

I've not received messages about rarely used icons but just had a message that 'OneDrive' has created an album for me and a big update KB3176938 has just installed and W10 is running very nice for me in all devices ...:)

Just occasionally (it happened to me last week) you come across a program that doesn't install the C++ Runtime Library, but expects it to be there and, of course, won't run without it. No real problem as it's a freebie install and the latest version appears to be 4.6. In theory they should be backwards compatible so providing you have the latest, that should enable you to get rid of the old ones, but remember, this is Microsoft! And I'm a pessimist, though I haven't got any old ones because I recently reinstalled Windows 7.

Maurice

What a difference some decent Windows 10 updates make ....
On 18 Aug I had to re-install Windows after major crash see #558 but the new computer was still not running well and by 23 Aug I was preparing to dump the computer back on the supplier. On 24 Aug Microsoft issued updates KB3176934 and KB3176936 and ever since (two weeks) the computer has run perfectly as shown on the reliability chart below.
updates.jpg

What a difference some decent Windows 10 updates make ....
On 18 Aug I had to re-install Windows after major crash see #558 but the new computer was still not running well and by 23 Aug I was preparing to dump the computer back on the supplier. On 24 Aug Microsoft issued updates KB3176934 and KB3176936 and ever since (two weeks) the computer has run perfectly as shown on the reliability chart below.
View attachment 108243
Same for me. I got a message on Sunday to say that a Windows update was taking place.
Logged in on Monday morning expecting problems, but so far, all OK.
Daren't say too much just in case.

I was wondering recently when the Anniversary update for my pc and laptop would be downloaded from M/soft. I did check and it said it could be downloaded from their web site link. I did not bother.
However, on Sunday afternoon - whilst watching the Tour of Britain cycle race on ITV4 - I though it would be a good time for the update just on my pc. I needed the laptop for Skype purposes that day and I did not want any issues to occur.
It took almost two hours to complete and the installation was fine. I just had to review the settings in case any had changed and to switch off or uninstall any new apps I did not want.
Yesterday I decided it was the turn of the laptop: that also went fine and all tat was needed was the checks described above. I know there are some newer apps, but I do not intend to use them, but as far as I see the principal advantage, to me, is the updated Windows Defender.

oldMohawk #591, how do I locate that reliability chart, have viewed it once but forgot how I located it. Have checked settings but no luck. Eric

oldMohawk #591, how do I locate that reliability chart, have viewed it once but forgot how I located it. Have checked settings but no luck. Eric
Hi Eric, I find it by using an icon on the desktop screen as described in post#424. It puts the icon on the desktop screen which when clicked shows the chart. Another way is to start typing reliability in the search and it will find 'Reliability History'. It is actually in the 'Control Panel' and can be found there but the icon method is the easiest.
oldmohawk

Back