• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guest st hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mike when time permits could i have a map please showing where numbers 14 and 2/42 were..

many thanks mike

lyn

Here you are Lyn. Map showing in red 14, 42, what I reckon is probably 2 back 42 (blue house but not certain) , and also 22, but you can ignore that.

map_c_1889__guest_st_showing_142C_222C_62_and_probable_2_back_42.jpg

many thanks mike...can you tell me what the st or road is to the right of no 42 please

lyn

Lyn
That is Little King St

thanks mike i thought it was..now i can get my bearings on the 1940s street map i have..my gt grandparents lived at back of 42 along with my grandad who was aged 7 at the time..if anyone has photos of guest st or little king st would love to see them as they are not easy to find..

lyn

Last edited:
I made a fascinating discovery, in 1945 my mum was living at 42 GUEST street with a couple called Arthur and Clara Morcock, I have a feeling mum was homeless and they kindly took her in, would love to know if any of their family are still about.

I am trying to find out about the Riley family who lived at 38 Guest Street during WW1.
Family consisted of Alice (widowed), Honoria, Kathleen, Philip, John (known as Jack). Alice was my Great Grandmother.
Any photos or maps would be very greatly appreciated.

The map below is of the mid 1880s , but there seems to have been no significant changes between then and WW1. no 38 is marked in red.
In the 1911 census all the working family but one were in the silver or plating trade, so would have probably worked in the jewellery quarter, which is close. the other, making leather bags could have alos been associated with the jewellery/silver trade.

Attachments

• map c1889 guest st showing no 38.jpg
    map c1889 guest st showing no 38.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi
Thank you so much for this map.
I shared this with my father this afternoon and he was very pleased to find out where his mum lived in 1911. Thank you for the extra info on the family; on talking with my father it transpires that his mother made the leather belts and pouches for the army officers in WW1.
Whilst talking to my Dad we also pinned down that the family had lived in Weamans Street in 1901- 11 court 2 house, do you have any information on this address at all? Or is there a thread on the forum?

ok colette...i plan to go to the library soon so i will do a search for photos of guest st...i could do with some myself..will post if i find any

lyn

ok colette it may take some time as we now have to make appointments to view photos at the library but first i have to go there and see if they have any so two possible trips..

lyn

Hi Colette & Lyn,

This is the corner of Guest St & Little King St. Your house is 2 down towards the church, with it back in the open yard behind the wall to the right. Not an actual pic of the house - but very close!

Attachments

• LITTLE KING ST AND Guest St.JPG
    LITTLE KING ST AND Guest St.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 9
hi mike on your map on post 2 it shows no 42 on the corner with little king st which means colettes no 38 will only be 2 houses away from that but looking at the map you posted for her it does not seem right

Hi Colette & Lyn,

This is the corner of Guest St & Little King St. Your house is 2 down towards the church, with it back in the open yard behind the wall to the right. Not an actual pic of the house - but very close!

Thank you very much, helps to give an insight! - Colette

hi mike on your map on post 2 it shows no 42 on the corner with little king st which means colettes no 38 will only be 2 houses away from that but looking at the map you posted for her it does not seem right
Post 2 & post 8 Maps do not show the same house marked in red?

morning bri..yes thats why i have asked mike to check again...my rellies were at no 42 (post 2 map) and colettes rellies at no 38 (post 8 map) which puts them only 2 houses apart but the maps mike posted do not tally up...im sure mike will take another look when time permits..

lyn

The numbering in Guest St was consecutive, as can be seen on this map c 1951

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing 42 guest St.jpg
    map c 1951 showing 42 guest St.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 7
Back