• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Eletrical shop on Lozells Rd????

brumie till i die

proper brummie kid
Hi don't know if this is in the right place for this but couldn't see anywhere else to put it.
I've been told my Great Grandad, Harry Marston, opened an eletric shop on Lozells rd sometime between 1912 and 1937, I was wondering if anyone could help validate this and if there is any information anyone could give I'd be greatfull
Thanks

No Harry Marston in any of Kellys for 1912.1913. 1921, 1932. 1933.1936 or 1937. There is
Albert Marston . wireless supplies dlr. 215 Witton rd. Aston 8 T N East 1089 in 1936-1950. In 1921 he is a cycle agent at the same address, and he has disappeared by 1955
Mike

Hi don't know if this is in the right place for this but couldn't see anywhere else to put it.
I've been told my Great Grandad, Harry Marston, opened an eletric shop on Lozells rd sometime between 1912 and 1937, I was wondering if anyone could help validate this and if there is any information anyone could give I'd be greatfull
Thanks
I used to live not far from Lozells Road in Davey Road off the Broadway from 1947 until 1967 and regularly shopped in Lozells Road as it was only a short walk away. The only electrical shop I remember was a shop called Jolly's where I bought my first transistor radio.

I used to live not far from Lozells Road in Davey Road off the Broadway from 1947 until 1967 and regularly shopped in Lozells Road as it was only a short walk away. The only electrical shop I remember was a shop called Jolly's where I bought my first transistor radio.
Sorry I think I have got the wrong road. I was thinking of the electrical shop in Witton Road. Does anyone remember that?

Hi Horse cart
You are quite correct its the first electrical shop,and secondly I can tell you,
What also that I know it was the video shooting of UB40 bands first ever video where Ali Campbell
Stood in that door way late one night wearing a white three quarter Mac type coat
Sing there very first hit record they produced, he was of course mimeing it in the door way
Of that shop I will asked my old Dutch ESS to recall what so g it was
He was wearing the flat and with his collar up
My old Dutchess and myself stood around to watch them performing and recording it
For there release which was showed on TV when the record was ever playing

Cowdrills who had an electrical shop at least before the 40s in Wheeler Street near Farm street, also had a shop not quite in Lozells Road but just around the corner in the road opposite the Villa Cross cinema. He also sold bicycles there.

Back