• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tony Butler

Personally I put up with him as after a match it was the only way you'd get some info.Like him or not he was there,and often speaking to players etc.

Funniest one I remember was interviewing Noel Blake after he'd head butted Steve McMahon of the Villa.Tony asked why did you hit him,and he replied 'I didn't hit him,if i had hit him he wouldn't have got up'

I used to like listening to Tony Butler. He was a radio pioneer. Apparently, he had the highest audience figures in Midlands local radio.

I'd forgotten about Tony Butler, I remember listening to him on BRMB when I was on leave in the 70s, ("On yer boik !").
Jasper Carrott did a bit about him, a listener ringing in, "Warrabout the Villa eh ?".
I'm surprised how much vitriol his name evoked, football, eh ?

Loved Tony Butlers radio programme, yes he caused a good few arguments with his phone-in , but it was compulsive listening. Apparently he was a Speedway rider in his day and rode for Wolverhampton Wolves a couple of times .Is that where his saying "ON YER BIKE" came from ?

Funny isn't it, I mean how over the years the Broadcasters have slowly got rid of presenters with a regional accent....Tony Butler/Malcolm Boyden/Carl Chinn/and now dear old Danny Kelly (I know, I know he was a scouser, but we took him to our hearts...) I bet those presenters with local accents keep looking over their shoulders. It's wrong of course; but they never have asked the listeners have they. Just my opinion.

Back