• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Norton Church On The Green

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
I guys yesterday I came to brum yesterday morning and I came to get a load of turf from the fencing company situated on the main road just short of the island at the green and just on that green to your right there is a big church
Can anybody tell me the name of that church, another question I would like
Asked our members was does anybody recall the coffin makers on that road
I think the bus stopped just outside the school, but walk backwards afew. Yards then you have the wood yard with turf out side
There was a gentleman there whom said he as worked there for thirty years
In that particular yard, and he stated to me before they took that business and yard over it was an oringinaly a coffin makers going back hundred of years
And it goes back to the round head days of the army,s he went into a lot Of detail about the big house as he called it and said from then days there was two tunnels running under ground from the big house a crossing over the main road and down to the canal which also runs underneath there yard and to that big pub buildings
Can anybody bear any light on thiis please as its history may be dear old mike
May have some bearing on this bit of mapping and the area of that coffin maker many thank Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

Alan.
Do you mean St Nicolas' church. on Kings Norton Green? Not sure where the coffin makers might be. Kellys for 1932 gives none there, only ones in that area at 1338 & 1775 Pershore road, in Stirchley & Cotteridge respectively, and both owned by ambler Bros , based in Longmore St

Hi mike
I could not name the main road the only way I can tell you is if you went up pershore road from the city head I g towards cotteridge island bear completely left at that island as if you was going to long bridge passing that fire station on that road you are going down hill first set of traffic lights you come to
Go through them continues to a slight hill as you going towards the green island
I son,t know whether or not I can mention the business or not on here
But I will put it for your eyes to read and then you will probable know the name of the road
When you get up the slight hill just short of approaching the island and the bank is on the corner
The wood yard is called kings Norton fencing whom have been there for at least thirty years or more he told me and that's the yard that face the little one way road from the church and its more or less about one hundred yards
Across the road from the church and there yard
Sorry if I have not expressed clearly but its that main road from cotteridge island down to the green
May I add that at the time this guy was telling me virualy I seem to have read this in a news paper article
By our dear old friend Carl chinn about ten or twelve years ago, as I was saying to myself
But I am sure you may have some records to this story
I know across the road from there yard on the other sdide of the road facing there yard
Today there is an undertakers whom have been there for years
Thanks for taking interest I am sure you will get as lot of info, on this coffin maker
Which said way back in those 1700/ 1800,s period he said even in those days they was making some sort of coffins for them old soldiers some think around Edward 8 sort of period
Best wishes and many thanks Alan,, Astonian,,

You either saw St Nicholas Church from Pershore Road South

This is Kings Norton Green

Or St Agnes Church at Cotteridge

“St Nicholas's Church, King's Norton, was rebuilt in the 14th century from an earlier Norman chapel. The south porch dates from the 15th century and parish business was often conducted here. Note the remains of the foliage dripstone round the arch. Just visible on the left-hand side, below the angel, are remains of a 'Mass' dial, which was a special sundial showing the time of
the next mass.”

Positively Birmingham, Berg, Jonathan, (1994)

048D81AC-B85A-4C00-850D-E74CBF74942E.jpeg

Back