• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anne Heywood (Violet Pretty) Book Project

Christopher Weedman

Brummie babby
My name is Dr. Christopher Weedman and I'm a professor of Film Studies at Kutztown University of Pennsylvania in the United States. I'm working with Birmingham-born actress Anne Heywood (originally named Violet Pretty) on a book about her career. A chapter of the book will focus on her early life growing up in Erdington.

Ms. Heywood has shared stories of her time growing up during World War II, as well as her years at Fentham Road Secondary Modern School for Girls and working as an usherette at the Palace Cinema in Erdington.

However, I would like to be able to flesh out this chapter with memories and additional details from people that knew her during this time. I would also be interested in locating more clippings and photos for the book project.

If anyone can help in any way, please feel free to respond to this thread or e-mail me at [email protected]

My mailing address is:

Dr. Christopher Weedman
P.O. Box 85
Slatedale, Pennsylvania 18079
U.S.A.

Hello Christopher
In my lineage their is a Violet Pretty but I have never had any success in making good progress to sort the line out. I have come across the surname Barnett who I thought was a grand parent of the Violet Pretty born in Birmingham.
Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. Violet Pretty is not a common name.
Best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

I expect you have this, though it might stir memories of others, but electoral rolls show Violet Elizabeth & Harold James Pretty lived with Elizabeth Sophia Bennett at 232 Aston lane in 1930 and Violet & James at 142 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. The Aston Lane building is still there and visable on google earth

Hi Mike. The Shaftmoor Lane connection would take them to Hall Green. Number 142 is only 0.3 miles from what was called York Road Primary School, at the corner of Russell Road and York Road. If Violet Elizabeth was 8 or 9 years in 1939 then she might have attended there. The school is now called Yorkmead. Dave.

I remember my late father saying the actress Anne Heywood lived in Bleak Hill Road, Erdington, near where my grandparents lived (Dad's family were in Barnet Road) but I don't think he knew her - she would have been six years younger.

My Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green and often went to the Palace in Erdington. He told me all about her. He pointed out the block of houses where she lived in Bleak Hill Road but I don't know the exact one. The houses are still there so I could take a photo if its needed.

I expect you have this, though it might stir memories of others, but electoral rolls show Violet Elizabeth & Harold James Pretty lived with Elizabeth Sophia Bennett at 232 Aston lane in 1930 and Violet & James at 142 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. The Aston Lane building is still there and visable on google earth

Thank you for this detail, Mike! Do you know where I might find access to the electoral roles? Are they available online? Best regards, Christopher.

My Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green and often went to the Palace in Erdington. He told me all about her. He pointed out the block of houses where she lived in Bleak Hill Road but I don't know the exact one. The houses are still there so I could take a photo if its needed.

Hi Lady Penelope! Actually, a kind person from the area already sent me photos of the houses, but I greatly appreciate your offer. Best regards, Christopher.

My mother, who lived off Turfpits Lane Short Heath, told me she was friends with a girl called Violet Pretty who lived on Bleak Hill Road. She said it was one of the houses on the left from Short Heath Road just before the allotments.

I recall mom saying that Violet became a film star.

My mother, who lived off Turfpits Lane Short Heath, told me she was friends with a girl called Violet Pretty who lived on Bleak Hill Road. She said it was one of the houses on the left from Short Heath Road just before the allotments.

I recall mom saying that Violet became a film star.

Thanks Morturn! By any chance, is your mother still living? If so, do you think she would be interested in sharing some memories for the book that Anne Heywood (a.k.a. Violet Pretty) and I are working on together? I talked to Anne earlier this week about her memories of growing up in Birmingham, but other memories and perspectives would be welcome. Best regards, Christopher.

Thanks Morturn! By any chance, is your mother still living? If so, do you think she would be interested in sharing some memories for the book that Anne Heywood (a.k.a. Violet Pretty) and I are working on together? I talked to Anne earlier this week about her memories of growing up in Birmingham, but other memories and perspectives would be welcome. Best regards, Christopher.

Hi Christopher, unfortunately, she passed away four years ago, taking with her some quite remarkable stories of Birmingham past. Thank for your interest

Last edited:
Back